Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
2361 - 2380 of 4228 Posts

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,492 Posts
How many folks actually install new end links or track bars post lift? I’ve got the LCAs and was curious. I have a Rubicon so don’t necessarily need QDs.
Should be no reason to install a new track bar with this lift. Sway bar end links aren't required, but adding quick disconnects will allow you to easily take advantage of the extra height from the lift by increasing your axle articulation off road.

·
Super Moderator
7,383 Posts
How many folks actually install new end links or track bars post lift? I’ve got the LCAs and was curious. I have a Rubicon so don’t necessarily need QDs.
The reason you might want to install a new track bar would be two fold. First, a new track bar could be a stronger track bar then stock. Second, a new track bar could also be adjustable, allowing you to center the axle side to side under the Jeep. Some people don't care if the axle is centered, and that is fine. But I would be bugged about my axle not being centered, and thus my tires not being even.
Another track bar related thing is the rear track bar bracket. You can install one of them to improve the angle the rear track bar runs at and thus improve the way your lifted Jeep handles.

And if you off road hard enough you might want manual quick disconnects even with a Rubicon. But that depends on you and how hard you wheel.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,492 Posts
The reason you might want to install a new track bar would be two fold. First, a new track bar could be a stronger track bar then stock. Second, a new track bar could also be adjustable, allowing you to center the axle side to side under the Jeep. Some people don't care if the axle is centered, and that is fine. But I would be bugged about my axle not being centered, and thus my tires not being even.
Another track bar related thing is the rear track bar bracket. You can install one of them to improve the angle the rear track bar runs at and thus improve the way your lifted Jeep handles.

And if you off road hard enough you might want manual quick disconnects even with a Rubicon. But that depends on you and how hard you wheel.
Agree with the strength and adjustability going with an aftermarket track bar. With all of us running this lift, I can't recall anyone showing before and after measurements with the stock track bar vs an aftermarket adjustable. Do you have any data on now much the axle shifted after this lift is installed and running the stock track bar?

·
Super Moderator
7,383 Posts
Agree with the strength and adjustability going with an aftermarket track bar. With all of us running this lift, I can't recall anyone showing before and after measurements with the stock track bar vs an aftermarket adjustable. Do you have any data on now much the axle shifted after this lift is installed and running the stock track bar?
I do not have data on the effect of the lift on the track bar. I know that my jeep was lifted 2" in the back and 2.5" up front, using a different lift. I looked at the Rancho lift, but in the end I did not get it. But lift is lift, whether it was a TF lift or a Rancho lift, 2" - 2.5" of lift is going to do the same things. Each axle moved towards the frame track bar side enough that it would have bugged me, maybe a 1/2" to 1". It happens because the track bar moves in an arc. So as the Jeep is lifted the track bar swings downward in this arc, moving the axle towards the frame side track bar mount. Having your axles off centered is not going to make it drive poorly, unless they are way off center. It is a Jeep after all. As a solid axle vehicle with track bars the axles move side as part of the suspension moving. But from a visual standpoint it would bug me.
Then there is the rear track bar bracket. Using a bracket does not replace an adjustable track bar for most people. There is a chance that with the rear track bar bracket your rear axle will end up being centered, or at least centered enough. But it also may not be centered. Centering the axle is not the point of the rear track bar bracket. The point of the bracket is to change the center of the arc the rear track bar moves in. That can improve the motion of the rear axle by moving it closer to a part of the arc that is, in relation to the direction of travel of the axle, straighter.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,492 Posts
I do not have data on the effect of the lift on the track bar. I know that my jeep was lifted 2" in the back and 2.5" up front, using a different lift. I looked at the Rancho lift, but in the end I did not get it. But lift is lift, whether it was a TF lift or a Rancho lift, 2" - 2.5" of lift is going to do the same things. Each axle moved towards the frame track bar side enough that it would have bugged me, maybe a 1/2" to 1". It happens because the track bar moves in an arc. So as the Jeep is lifted the track bar swings downward in this arc, moving the axle towards the frame side track bar mount. Having your axles off centered is not going to make it drive poorly, unless they are way off center. It is a Jeep after all. As a solid axle vehicle with track bars the axles move side as part of the suspension moving. But from a visual standpoint it would bug me.
Then there is the rear track bar bracket. Using a bracket does not replace an adjustable track bar for most people. There is a chance that with the rear track bar bracket your rear axle will end up being centered, or at least centered enough. But it also may not be centered. Centering the axle is not the point of the rear track bar bracket. The point of the bracket is to change the center of the arc the rear track bar moves in. That can improve the motion of the rear axle by moving it closer to a part of the arc that is, in relation to the direction of travel of the axle, straighter.
I appreciate the education. :)

·
Registered
740 Posts

1/4"(.25") per axel in opposite directions

iirc the rear shifted 1/4" to the right
and the front shifted 1/4" to the left
in total the combined axels are 1/2"off the frame centerline...

I mainly picked up on this when I noticed how close the sway bar link was to the stock wheel.it prevented me from installing longer rear sway bar links.
after taking measurements off common frame points ,it resulted in the said 1/4"
I picked up adj track bars ,set them 1/4" longer then stock ,installed them ,bounced and rolled the jeep and remeasured .
I was within 1/16 of center for both axels...
not sure relocating the track bar is necessary.as its only 2" of lift.
and most relocation mounts are intended for larger lifts anyway

1/4" seems to be a common measurement with this lift

·
Registered
140 Posts
Not that I don't believe the 1/4" shift because with the geometry it makes perfect sense, but man did both trackbar bolts go in perfectly without having to push the axles either way. I had my brother ready to push and a ratchet strap sitting out. Didn't need either.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
My front track bar bolt went back in easy too, and the front axle is only slightly off center, maybe 1/2", maybe. The rear, I had to use the ratchet strap trick, and correspondingly, the rear axle is way off, almost a full inch. I've driven it now about 300 miles or so, hit plenty of bumps, and it hasn't changed. It is visually obvious, and it definitely gnaws at me. I've been reading, trying to decide what the best route is to correct it. A TF bracket is a very affordable option. It appears to have two different mounting locations for the track bar to experiment with. From what I can understand, a bracket may also improve ride quality because it brings the track bar closer to level. The two that I've looked at are TF and Metalcloak. An adjustable track bar will allow me to dial it in perfect, but of course, you pay for quality here. Any thoughts from the gurus?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to Allen's Offroad, my kit arrived today! I'm actually taking off the 4" RC lift installed by the previous owner & dropping to the 2". I didn't that much lift since I'm going to run 285/75/R17s. I bounced back & forth between the TF 2.5 lift and this one.

I really appreciate all the great info everyone has shared here. I'll post pictures when done. Thanks!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Not that I don't believe the 1/4" shift because with the geometry it makes perfect sense, but man did both trackbar bolts go in perfectly without having to push the axles either way. I had my brother ready to push and a ratchet strap sitting out. Didn't need either.
when I installed the lift I didn't remove either track bar so there was no aligning needed
after installing the new adj track bars at new lengths ,I used a ratchet strap to gain the 1/4" axel shift.

visually, when you sit back and look the axel offset looks major
like its a 1/2"to 3/4"
but if you start pulling measurements off the frame you realize its not as drastic as it looks

Reactions: KeroJK

·
Registered
82 Posts
My front track bar bolt went back in easy too, and the front axle is only slightly off center, maybe 1/2", maybe. The rear, I had to use the ratchet strap trick, and correspondingly, the rear axle is way off, almost a full inch. I've driven it now about 300 miles or so, hit plenty of bumps, and it hasn't changed. It is visually obvious, and it definitely gnaws at me. I've been reading, trying to decide what the best route is to correct it. A TF bracket is a very affordable option. It appears to have two different mounting locations for the track bar to experiment with. From what I can understand, a bracket may also improve ride quality because it brings the track bar closer to level. The two that I've looked at are TF and Metalcloak. An adjustable track bar will allow me to dial it in perfect, but of course, you pay for quality here. Any thoughts from the gurus?

Not a guru but JKS makes nice Track Bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I am thinking along those lines and may just get both front and rear adj trackbars. I have a set of the front QDs bec I noticed the sway bar isn’t parallel to the ground after the lift. I just haven’t gotten around to installing. The rear doesn’t seem as significant- did you end up installing the rear links as well?

·
Super Moderator
7,383 Posts
From my earlier post.
"Then there is the rear track bar bracket. Using a bracket does not replace an adjustable track bar for most people. There is a chance that with the rear track bar bracket your rear axle will end up being centered, or at least centered enough. But it also may not be centered. Centering the axle is not the point of the rear track bar bracket. The point of the bracket is to change the center of the arc the rear track bar moves in. That can improve the motion of the rear axle by moving it closer to a part of the arc that is, in relation to the direction of travel of the axle, straighter."
You can use a rear track bar bracket, and it might happen to make the rear axle centered, but that is not what it does. If you want the rear track bar centered you will probably need an adjustable track bar. You certainly can try a bracket and see if that happens to center the axle by luck, but if it does not happen to center the axle you will need an adjustable track bar if you want the axle centered.
I like the TF track bar bracket and the TF HD Adjustable track bars. They use bushings vs others that use hard heim joint type ends. That and that you can adjust the TF bars without unbolting, that make sit very easy to center. But I am sure there are a few good options. I only know the TF options works really well for me.

·
Super Moderator
7,383 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I am thinking along those lines and may just get both front and rear adj trackbars. I have a set of the front QDs bec I noticed the sway bar isn’t parallel to the ground after the lift. I just haven’t gotten around to installing. The rear doesn’t seem as significant- did you end up installing the rear links as well?
The kit I used came with new rear sway bar links. I installed them and moved the longer rear links to the front. Then I replaced the rear links that I moved to the front with quick disconnect links.
Typically your front sway bar should be slightly above horizontal, point up at 5 degrees or so. If it is below horizontal you do run the risk of the links flipping over center at full extension. It seems like a remote risk, but if it happens it gets really bad really fast. You don't want to go there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Finally have this kit on it's way. Hopefully will do the install on Monday. Bought the geo-correction brackets as well. Putting Nitto RG's 285/75/17 on stock WW wheels along with 1.5" spacers. I'm putting the 2" bump stops in front & 1" hockey pucks for the rear. I have stock 2016 WW JKU.

What are your best tips for the install?

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,379 ·
Finally have this kit on it's way. Hopefully will do the install on Monday. Bought the geo-correction brackets as well. Putting Nitto RG's 285/75/17 on stock WW wheels along with 1.5" spacers. I'm putting the 2" bump stops in front & 1" hockey pucks for the rear. I have stock 2016 WW JKU.

What are your best tips for the install?
Whew. Tips?
- a Helper is nice
- an Impact wrench is nice as well
- safety of course. I put my whole Jeep up on jack stands. To me, it just makes crawling around easier.
- Depending on age, do some stretching exercises.
- Unhook the stuff you need to before drooping stuff.
- Go slow, no rush. Hold off on the Beer until done.
Give a yell if any questions. YouTube vids are always nice just to get the "mood" going. It was about 90+ degrees and humid when I did mine after a full day at work. No helper and I didn't get my Milwaukee until after I did my lift (duh) So, some of my tips are very real good ideas :lmao:

2361 - 2380 of 4228 Posts