Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
2421 - 2440 of 4228 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,421 ·
I wasn't planning to do much to my Wrangler yet (haven't had it two months yet). But reading about this particular Rancho lift I couldn't resist going ahead with it. I got the lift on and I'm not using any geometry brackets or adjustable arms yet. My rough measurements show about 2.25" lift in front and 1" in back and it sits just about perfect for me on my mostly stock Wrangler. In driving it around I found that it rides pretty nice, though I think I *might* need a bit more caster. I want to measure it before I do anything though.

Here it is:

The way a Jeep "should" look, Very nice. :thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
The way a Jeep "should" look, Very nice. :thumb:
Thank you! I'm very happy with how it looks, hopefully it will perform just as well (and I have no doubts about that). I'm glad I found this thread!

My normal activities have me off pavement once or twice a week, nothing hardcore or anything though. For now my old Cherokee is still pulling that duty but it will be nice to take the JKU sometimes...it's so much nicer to drive and ride in.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I wasn't planning to do much to my Wrangler yet (haven't had it two months yet). But reading about this particular Rancho lift I couldn't resist going ahead with it. I got the lift on and I'm not using any geometry brackets or adjustable arms yet. My rough measurements show about 2.25" lift in front and 1" in back and it sits just about perfect for me on my mostly stock Wrangler. In driving it around I found that it rides pretty nice, though I think I *might* need a bit more caster. I want to measure it before I do anything though.

Here it is:

Sweet! :appl:

Tell us about those wheels, please.

Edit: And then I see http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/what-did-you-do-to-your-jk-today-145035-2955.html#post33578089

:banghead:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I would remove that extension, these shocks are plenty long out back.
I'll second that. No problems with articulation.

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,426 · (Edited)
Just noticed this thread is only 75 posts shorter than the "most popular lift/shock setup on WF" thread. Before long that one might need to be renamed "2nd most popular" :)
Now it's only 74 :). I said it many pages ago but, I agonized over what "Great" lift to get for months, daily.....reading, contemplating rinse. repeat.

Finally, I started making a list What do I want/Don't want/need/Must have/etc

I knew I wanted:
- A Great Ride
- No problems
- Versatility
- Warranty/Service/reputation
- Simple yet inspired design
- Lastly was Price and Value

When (coincidentally) Rancho released this Lift with/4 Springs and the option for the adjustable shocks with a Lifetime Warranty - B00M!
Decision made! Whew, what a relief.
Cops came and said, "Sir, can you PLEASE put some pants on and STOP Dancing?" (Apparently Banks have rules against good moods...)

I have not looked back since, Lift/Ride/Performance.... ALL Great, Still Great.

Would do it again (maybe with pants this time) but Yep, would do it again!

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Just noticed this thread is only 75 posts shorter than the "most popular lift/shock setup on WF" thread. Before long that one might need to be renamed "2nd most popular" :)

Hmm, I'm seeing 81 pages.

Put this lift on in October and absolutely love it. Last weekend was oil change time so while I had it on the lift I ran the knobs stop to stop a few times to make sure they were all still good (don't have to adjust them much) and made sure they were all on 2. Don't know if I screwed up somewhere along the line but pretty sure they weren't all the same - thought I had them on 3. On 2 the ride is even better.

The only thing this lift might need is either geometry correction brackets or adjustable control arms but only if your caster is dipping low. I went with adjustable LCAs and have them at 22-7/8" and got 5.2* of caster. To me that's perfect.

Full disclosure that I did have one rear shock go bad. Hey, sh*t happens. The exchange process with @Quadratec was a PM, replacement arrived next day, and even got a shipping label for the return.

·
Registered
409 Posts
After many years of reading his posts and chuckling, it has occurred to me that I would gladly pay money to see @RubiconSS at open mic night (with pants, of course).

Thank you RubiconSS for the much appreciated levity.

Only been on this forum for one year but I’d love to drink a few beers with him. Love his posts. And yes pants would be a must.

Maybe we can all celebrate with him when PA joins the rest of the country and let’s him take his doors off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Only been on this forum for one year but I’d love to drink a few beers with him. Love his posts. And yes pants would be a must.

Maybe we can all celebrate with him when PA joins the rest of the country and let’s him take his doors off.

Hell...I don’t know him, but his post are freak n hilarious but informative. I’d run naked with him ....Ohhh yea, in MO that is. I don’t need a PA ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
475 Posts

Same here. He's one of a handful of people on this forum whose opinion I take seriously.

I'd be game for a PA roadtrip. Or just a WF East Coast gathering.

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,433 ·
Jeez (go away for a day and this place goes to hell) Thanks Guys.

I actually think the WF group has gotten to the point where a "1st Annual somethin' somethin" is in order!

Not sure how that goes but I say Paper towels vs napkins. Pig Roast and a Large shiny thing with a hose sticking out of it. We can worry about appropriate attire later (I'm thing Tux rental....)

:)

·
Modern Day Warrior
1,069 Posts

I actually think the WF group has gotten to the point where a "1st Annual somethin' somethin" is in order!

Not sure how that goes but I say Paper towels vs napkins. Pig Roast and a Large shiny thing with a hose sticking out of it. We can worry about appropriate attire later (I'm thing Tux rental....)

I’m down....just point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I’ve been following this thread since the beginning. I may have missed the answer to my question but I don’t recall it having been answered.

Has anybody added this lift to a stock vehicle without changing wheels/tires (or anything else) and compared the before and after gas mileage.

I’m curious as to how much change in mpg can be expected from changing the stock rake to a more level, less aerodynamic stance. How many mpg does it cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,492 Posts
I’ve been following this thread since the beginning. I may have missed the answer to my question but I don’t recall it having been answered.

Has anybody added this lift to a stock vehicle without changing wheels/tires (or anything else) and compared the before and after gas mileage.

I’m curious as to how much change in mpg can be expected from changing the stock rake to a more level, less aerodynamic stance. How many mpg does it cost?

I ran this lift with the stock Goodyear SRA's and stock Moab wheels for about 3 months before going with new wheels and tires. I have the <gasp> 3.21:1 gears, and I noticed about a 2-3 mpg drop in mileage from bone stock with no lift. Previously I was averaging around 19 mpg combined and post-lift I averaged around 17 mpg.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

I ran this lift with my stock 265/70/17 KO2s (auto with 3.73 gears) for a while. I may have dropped .5 mpg if that. After recalibration, I've only lost .6mpg (on average) with 34s (285/75/17).

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,476 Posts

Sounds like we need to start a post and get this rolling!

-Jason

·
Registered
339 Posts
@RhinoSportJKU and @4fit thanks for the info. I have the stock KO2s with 3.73s as well. I wouldn’t think the tires would make a difference though. I’d read it was changing the way the air flows under the vehicle that affects the mpg.

I drive 300+ miles a week to work so the mileage matters to me. Right now I’m getting about 18.5

Doing the math it could cost anywhere between $150-$300 more per year in gas. Not terrible I guess for the benefit of the lift but then I’ll want bigger tires, etc... and the list goes on, LOL!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
@RhinoSportJKU and @4fit thanks for the info. I have the stock KO2s with 3.73s as well. I wouldn’t think the tires would make a difference though. I’d read it was changing the way the air flows under the vehicle that affects the mpg.

I drive 300+ miles a week to work so the mileage matters to me. Right now I’m getting about 18.5

Doing the math it could cost anywhere between $150-$300 more per year in gas. Not terrible I guess for the benefit of the lift but then I’ll want bigger tires, etc... and the list goes on, LOL!

I drive 300+ miles a week as well (mix of highway and city). With this lift and 285/75/17 RGs (and recalibrated using a ProCal), I have never had less than 17.3 mpg on a tank and typically average 17.5. Prior to the lift/tires, I averaged around 17.9.

Based on some quick calculation, from your 18.5mpg down to 17.5mpg with 15,600 miles a year and $3.00 for a gallon of gas (on the high side), that comes out to ~$145 in additional gas expense per year.

That being said, EVERY Jeep is a bit different and your results may vary. Just look how much Rhino lost in comparison to me.

2421 - 2440 of 4228 Posts