Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
2441 - 2460 of 4228 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,441 ·
I have this Lift w/285/70-17's - 4.10 gears and average about 18 mpg. If I watch it (a little) I can bump at 19 mpg. But that lasts about as long as the 2nd Hot dog at a barbeque.....

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,492 Posts
I have this Lift w/285/70-17's - 4.10 gears and average about 18 mpg. If I watch it (a little) I can bump at 19 mpg. But that lasts about as long as the 2nd Hot dog at a barbeque.....
No doubt, skinny pedal modulation is a much bigger factor than anything else. I have a condition known as "lead foot" so my results may be different than someone who uses the skinny pedal sparingly. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you lift a Prius and add tires, what do you think happens? A/C has about the same effect on the JK as tires do.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I didn't notice much if any mileage drop from the lift
in my case the gear change dropped me like 4-5mpg
then I lifted it ,after the previous drop I failed to notice any difference pre and post lift
it wasn't till new larger tires that I noticed a 2-3mgp increase
I currently get 19-20mpg down from the 21-22mpg in stock config.

as for tires making a difference ,they can be huge,much more then lifting an already high sitting vehicle 2"
height , width and tread all effect mpg.
a 255/80 will have better mileage then a 285/70 even tho they are both 33"
a street tread will give higher mileage then a terrain or mud tire

Reactions: RubiconSS

·
Registered
25 Posts
I ran this lift with my stock 265/70/17 KO2s (auto with 3.73 gears) for a while. I may have dropped .5 mpg if that. After recalibration, I've only lost .6mpg (on average) with 34s (285/75/17).
Speaking of 34's...

I'm thinking of getting this lift. I'd like to be able to run 34's. I have to admit I haven't read every single page on this thread, but I've read many of them, and haven't come across an answer yet.

Does anyone know if this lift will allow running 34's with a decently small backspaced rim WITHOUT running flat fenders? I want to make sure I can still disconnect the front sway bar and hit the trails on the weekend.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Speaking of 34's...

I'm thinking of getting this lift. I'd like to be able to run 34's. I have to admit I haven't read every single page on this thread, but I've read many of them, and haven't come across an answer yet.

Does anyone know if this lift will allow running 34's with a decently small backspaced rim WITHOUT running flat fenders? I want to make sure I can still disconnect the front sway bar and hit the trails on the weekend.

Anyone know?
If you add the 2" front bumpstop extensions that come with this kit, you should be fine. Many of us that have installed the bumpstop extensions have also added 2" shock extension brackets as to not lose that shock travel.

You will however need to add 1" of rear bumpstop extension with the 34s.

Full disclosure...I still haven't has the chance to get offroad with this setup yet. The things I mentioned above come from past experience, other user experiences, and advise from members here far more knowledgeable than I.

·
Registered
740 Posts
what 4fit said
and
it depends on what you mean by decently small back spaced rim...

with stock rims and 32" tires I had a small rub on my driver side rancho LCA
most likely a result of the factory backspacing and my axels .25" shift to the drivers side.
recentering the axel was probably enough to eliminate the rub,
but a larger tire wouldn't clear

at 5.2" of back space I have no rubbing issues with 34"s
the wheel travels up inside the fender well past the downturned edge though at full flex in the rear
any more backspacing and I might run into a rubbing problem

Reactions: wdahm519

·
Registered
443 Posts
Also may depend on if you mean the BFG KO2 34x10.5 or a 285/75R17

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you add the 2" front bumpstop extensions that come with this kit, you should be fine. Many of us that have installed the bumpstop extensions have also added 2" shock extension brackets as to not lose that shock travel.

You will however need to add 1" of rear bumpstop extension with the 34s.

Full disclosure...I still haven't has the chance to get offroad with this setup yet. The things I mentioned above come from past experience, other user experiences, and advise from members here far more knowledgeable than I.
Great info, thanks!

what 4fit said
and
it depends on what you mean by decently small back spaced rim...

with stock rims and 32" tires I had a small rub on my driver side rancho LCA
most likely a result of the factory backspacing and my axels .25" shift to the drivers side.
recentering the axel was probably enough to eliminate the rub,
but a larger tire wouldn't clear

at 5.2" of back space I have no rubbing issues with 34"s
the wheel travels up inside the fender well past the downturned edge though at full flex in the rear
any more backspacing and I might run into a rubbing problem
Hmm.. that is cause for concern. I'll have to do some geometry based on my measurements post-lift with the stock wheels and tires and see what I can come up with as a max backspace + tire width size.

What I'm hoping is I can come up with a combination that puts the outside of the tire pretty flush with the outside of the fender, so when it articulates up it will be nice and tucked inside the fender.

Also may depend on if you mean the BFG KO2 34x10.5 or a 285/75R17
In terms of tire sizing, I haven't fully decided. I'm still doing a lot of research in this area. I'm trying to find that sweet spot where the cost doesn't skyrocket, and I'm not forced into Load E tires.

Even up to a 285/80R16 (34.0" x 11.2", 0.2" taller than a 285/75R17 and the rims are a lot cheaper :bop:). Ideally, I'd run a BFG KO2 34 x 10.5 (or x 11 - do they make one??) though.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ideally, I'd run a BFG KO2 34 x 10.5 (or x 11 - do they make one??) though.

BFG Does make a 34x10.5 KO2 but it runs small (They actually list it as 33.5") They fit stock wheels without spacers and don't require an aftermarket tire carrier. They are expensive though, at $327 each:jawdrop:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Size would be lower once weight of jeep on it. Check out MasterCraft Courser MXT's. I got a set of 5 295/70/17's for around 1200 installed. Made by Cooper and I think they are underrated. Load E and I run at around 29 PSI.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Speaking of 34's...

Anyone know?
285/75R17s AT3s with a 1” metalcloack bumpstop on the rear still rub just a touch on the front fenders with the swaybar disconnected at full and extreme flex. No damage though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
BFG Does make a 34x10.5 KO2 but it runs small (They actually list it as 33.5") They fit stock wheels without spacers and don't require an aftermarket tire carrier. They are expensive though, at $327 each:jawdrop:
Holy crap! That's a deal breaker. :atomic:

285/75R17s AT3s with a 1” metalcloack bumpstop on the rear still rub just a touch on the front fenders with the swaybar disconnected at full and extreme flex. No damage though.
Do you run the bump stops in the front? Or are you doing the 2" bump stops on the front with the shock extension brackets to regain the up travel?

To all the guys running 285/75R17 KO2's... Are you running tire carriers?

If I get a 285/75R17 KO2 that will weight ~61lbs. A Pro Comp 7069 17x9 runs 24lbs. That's 85lbs (the max in the manual for the stock tire carrier weight). Toss on a few lug nuts and you're probably 1-2lbs over the stated maximum, but that probably won't pop welds off.

Or is the general consensus to play it safe when you reach 85lbs?

I'm getting really psyched about this lift - just getting all my ducks in a row. I might just end up running 33's to keep the costs low and keep life simple, but if I can stuff 34's on there and get away with it, I'll be happier in the end.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Holy crap! That's a deal breaker. :atomic:

Do you run the bump stops in the front? Or are you doing the 2" bump stops on the front with the shock extension brackets to regain the up travel?

To all the guys running 285/75R17 KO2's... Are you running tire carriers?

If I get a 285/75R17 KO2 that will weight ~61lbs. A Pro Comp 7069 17x9 runs 24lbs. That's 85lbs (the max in the manual for the stock tire carrier weight). Toss on a few lug nuts and you're probably 1-2lbs over the stated maximum, but that probably won't pop welds off.

Or is the general consensus to play it safe when you reach 85lbs?

I'm getting really psyched about this lift - just getting all my ducks in a row. I might just end up running 33's to keep the costs low and keep life simple, but if I can stuff 34's on there and get away with it, I'll be happier in the end.
The 34x10.50 ko2 is a lie. Its not even 33”. This forum saved discount tire from a return.

I used the rancho bump stops, but they were designed for a smaller tire. Without aftermarket disconnects a lesser jeep than a rubicon would likely never rub.

I use a teraflex carrier for my spare with a bike rack, hilift jack, roto pax .... etc. it was very expensive after you add up all the parts, but I load it down. I’ve heard different things on the welds, but I’m hanging a 30lb rack and another 50lbs of bike on it so I needed it for sure.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Do you mean Cooper Discoverer AT3 in 285/75/17? If so, what pressure are you running & what size are they mounted?
I run them in a 285/70/17 & recently found out the make them in a 75.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Do you mean Cooper Discoverer AT3 in 285/75/17? If so, what pressure are you running & what size are they mounted?
I run them in a 285/70/17 & recently found out the make them in a 75.
That is the tire. 28-30PSI on the road and 15PSI off road. The sway bar has never been disconnected with full flex at 30PSI.

·
Registered
740 Posts
the wheels are a major player in how this lift will fit tires,, esp during flex
an 8.5"rim with 5.2" of backspace , a 33.8" tire and 1" rear bump stop will fit up inside the fender wells and not rub
there is enough room to fit your hand in all the way around .prob 1" or so clearance.
I probably don't need the 1" bumpstop in the rear with a 33.8" tire
I honestly think a 35"tire will fit without a rub but it'll be close.

now if I changed to a 4.75 back space and the same 33.8" tire, it will fit but I defanatly will need the 1" bumpstop
I think there will be contact between the downturned fender edge and the side wall just above the tread with out it

I also think a 9" rim might cause a rub in the same place , but worse.

a combo of 9" wheel and 4.75 and 33.8"tire, i'm not sure the tread will clear the down turned fender edge ,i'd prob need 2" of rear bump stop to keep the fender edge off the tread.

now if your really stuffing your fenders with rubber you also got to consider the .25" or so of axel offset from the lift slightly shifting your axel.
at will take a 1/4 "of clearance off one sides tire and add 1/4' to the others side

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I've always wondered how people get 18-19 with bigger tires and a lift. I've never got higher than 15mpg and usually average 13.5mpg.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I did 200 miles round trip today to go wheeling a bit and let the dog run
150 of it was highway 65-70mph on cruise control
avg 18mpg up
and 20mpg back
no wind , not counting off highway driving or running back country

·
Premium Member
16,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,460 ·
I've always wondered how people get 18-19 with bigger tires and a lift. I've never got higher than 15mpg and usually average 13.5mpg.
Last two tanks 18.5/18.8 ....mostly highway at 68mph.

2441 - 2460 of 4228 Posts