Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
4201 - 4220 of 4228 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,571 Posts
Exactly.

Once again though, if anyone has used the 3-3.5” (lift range) front rs9000xl on this kit please share your experience.
The 2 options are adding a 3/4" coil spacer (some might need 1") on top of the spring to use the 29's or put on a set of lower shock extensions to max out the use of the 26's. Both setups then use the included bump stop spacers. If you go with the 29's, you need to put in the exhaust spacers to protect your drive shaft boot. But it really depends on your tire and fender setup. What size tires and what fenders are you running?

This Rancho kit is a great little kit, but it's not meant to be a long travel setup... But there are ways to make it better for sure. In the rear, I would just use an adjustable track bar and skip the axle bracket.

·
Registered
2018 Sahara JKU
29 Posts
@4fit thank you for the additional information.
@Pressurized — I’m planning on pairing the 329 shocks with the following:

-35x10.50x17 Kenda Klever R/Ts
-Qtec 41’ wheels (5.2 BS)
-MCE OE width flat fenders
-(and of course the rest of the Rancho sport lift)

On paper, this setup seems to give plenty of clearance for a (narrow) 35” tire. However, would you anticipate driveshaft contact/DS boot issues?

·
Super Moderator
7,383 Posts

On paper, this setup seems to give plenty of clearance for a (narrow) 35” tire. However, would you anticipate driveshaft contact/DS boot issues?
I would expect drive shaft clearance issues. You can avoid that with a set of exhaust spacers.

·
Super Moderator
16,571 Posts

Should be no problem with those tires. You can also consider a spring retention clamp on the spring pad if you don't want coil spacers, but the springs will be loose. Lots of people run that way, not my favorite as I've seen them not realign properly at times. But the bump stop tube keeps them from falling out.

If you want to really fine tune that setup, you can put a small ziptie on the shock shaft and see where it ends up when you are fully flexed out. If it's 3/4" from fully compressed, you can shave 3/4" off of the bump stops to pick up that extra travel. yes, I'm silly like that...

Yes, you will need to put on the exhaust spacers. Easy to do and inexpensive. I'm running the Rugged Ridge exhaust spacers for about $30...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Yep, the DS will more likely contact for sure as the 29's are 25" extended. In my garage i found my factory DS will safely run with a 23 11/16" max, so at 24" the DS boot will contact my exhaust crossover shield. All Jeeps are different though but i'll expect contact without the exahust spacers for sure.. I went with a custom DS and even that one contacted at 26" so i had to move the crossover back. I didn't want to mess with the exahust spacers because i bought my Jeep used and the factory exhaust bolts were a little rusted, little rust in there means trouble for a homeyard mechanic like me :) so i took her to my muffler shop and asked them to chop and weld whatever they thought was needed to space my crossover back. My cost for that was $80 but i didn't have to curse to the Jeep engineers hahaha.

·
Registered
2018 Sahara JKU
29 Posts
Yep, the DS will more likely contact for sure as the 29's are 25" extended. In my garage i found my factory DS will safely run with a 23 11/16" max, so at 24" the DS boot will contact my exhaust crossover shield. All Jeeps are different though but i'll expect contact without the exahust spacers for sure.. I went with a custom DS and even that one contacted at 26" so i had to move the crossover back. I didn't want to mess with the exahust spacers because i bought my Jeep used and the factory exhaust bolts were a little rusted, little rust in there means trouble for a homeyard mechanic like me :) so i took her to my muffler shop and asked them to chop and weld whatever they thought was needed to space my crossover back. My cost for that was $80 but i didn't have to curse to the Jeep engineers hahaha.
This may be a dumb question, does DS contact (with the crossover pipe) take place more easily as you increase in lift? As you mentioned, your setup was able to safely run at 23 11/16” max. Was this at stock height or after you installed the lift? I understand as you increase lift height, the more of an angle the DS is operating at. Just trying to figure out if lift heigh also plays a role in how much exhaust pipe/DS clearance you have.

·
Super Moderator
16,571 Posts
This may be a dumb question, does DS contact (with the crossover pipe) take place more easily as you increase in lift? As you mentioned, your setup was able to safely run at 23 11/16” max. Was this at stock height or after you installed the lift? I understand as you increase lift height, the more of an angle the DS is operating at. Just trying to figure out if lift heigh also plays a role in how much exhaust pipe/DS clearance you have.
Very good question... It's actually related only to the extended length of the shocks. Now, that often comes in conjunction with lift height, but it isn't necessarily so.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I'm confident based on my observations on my Jeep that No, lift height per se won't do it, your shock lenght will dictate that based on how much longer than stock they're. You can get for example a 3" lift with coil springs, but if you're running stock shocks you won't have the needed droop for the DS to contact the exhaust. the experience may be a little different in another Jeep, Not all Jeeps are created equal, but it's easy to check just lift from the frame, disconnect the shocks from the lower mounts and let the axel droop in the air, then measure how much droop you can have before the boot rubs on the crossover.

Likewise, i was lifted 2 5/16" in the front, but my shocks were the RE for the 2.5 lift, which are 25" extended (their website says 24" so that's wrong, they are 1" longer than what they list).
If you keep the shocks stock or something like OME 60066 (22.8" extended) or any shock that doesn't exceed 23 11/16" extended you should be ok with the stock DS without exhaust spacers at 2 or 3" lift or 4"

Check my post#6 here

Reactions: gtl_25

·
Registered
19 Posts
My DS absolutely will sit on the crossover when extended without exhaust spacers on the 329 shocks. And the front springs were ridiculously loose before I shoved the 3/4 spacer back in. Which I believe the winch will take up the extra 3/4 lift when I install it. If not some 3/4 or 1/2 spacers to level out the rear will be just fine.

I did notice the new rear springs loose with the new kit shocks but after I torqued everything at ride height they tightened up when drooped. Not sure of the geometry there but definitely interesting.

·
Super Moderator
16,571 Posts
Thanks guys.

not to hijack the thread or anything but,
thoughts on exhaust spacers?
They all work... Rugged Ridge inexpensive, Teraflex and Metalcloak more expensive.

·
Commercial Member
402 Posts
60k on this setup. How long before replacement? Do both shocks and springs have to go? What do I replace them with? Same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,383 Posts
60k on this setup. How long before replacement? Do both shocks and springs have to go? What do I replace them with? Same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Springs should outlast shocks by a long ways.
Often the springs never need replacing, while the shocks I would expect to replace every 50,000 miles or so. But as they age slowly, you may not notice how worn out the shocks are.
Replacing with the same shocks makes sense if you are happy with the ride. If you want to adjust the ride, replace with different shocks that do what you want.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alright y just ordered this kit from krawloff-road.com, but i swapped in the fox 2.0 ifp for 9000xl, got the adjustable track bar and adjustable front lowers. cant wait.

not sure if 33" to 35" tires. i love the dueler at revo3 on my tundra, hate the bfg muds on the jeep now and they are not ideal here for sand we have on beach and dirt roads. no rocks anywhere on cape cod. stiff mud tire sidewalls wont flatten out when airing down enough. plus brutal on road.

question 1) looking at the Pro Comp 69 Series Vintage Wheel, 17x9. with 285/75/17 tires.....or 295/70/17 size....any regrets not going to 35" ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Long time reader, first time poster. Ordered this kit with the 9000’s for my JK Willys 2dr and waiting out the back order logjam. Have the Synergy front shock extension mounts, Spidertrax 1.5“ spacers, and Synergy fixed front LCA’s coming too, and am considering the Synergy rear TB bracket but it says it’s only good for shocks up to 2” diameter without rubbing. It appears that the Rancho 9000’s are 2.75“, anybody running this kit with the Synergy TB bracket?

·
Super Moderator
7,383 Posts
Alright y just ordered this kit from krawloff-road.com, but i swapped in the fox 2.0 ifp for 9000xl, got the adjustable track bar and adjustable front lowers. cant wait.

not sure if 33" to 35" tires. i love the dueler at revo3 on my tundra, hate the bfg muds on the jeep now and they are not ideal here for sand we have on beach and dirt roads. no rocks anywhere on cape cod. stiff mud tire sidewalls wont flatten out when airing down enough. plus brutal on road.

question 1) looking at the Pro Comp 69 Series Vintage Wheel, 17x9. with 285/75/17 tires.....or 295/70/17 size....any regrets not going to 35" ?
I think it comes down to what you want. Bigger tires have their advantages and disadvantages. Are you willing to regear? If not, I would go with 33’s. But that is me. I would not want 35’s without being geared for 35’s.

I would also look at the Quadratec wheels. They have a number of nice looking options and are a quality hub centric wheel.

·
Super Moderator
7,383 Posts
Long time reader, first time poster. Ordered this kit with the 9000’s for my JK Willys 2dr and waiting out the back order logjam. Have the Synergy front shock extension mounts, Spidertrax 1.5“ spacers, and Synergy fixed front LCA’s coming too, and am considering the Synergy rear TB bracket but it says it’s only good for shocks up to 2” diameter without rubbing. It appears that the Rancho 9000’s are 2.75“, anybody running this kit with the Synergy TB bracket?
If you ordered this lift you should not need a rear track bar bracket. It only lifts the rear about an inch and a half. It is similar height wise to a leveling kit. No rear track bar bracket should be required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you ordered this lift you should not need a rear track bar bracket. It only lifts the rear about an inch and a half. It is similar height wise to a leveling kit. No rear track bar bracket should be required.
I have a 2 door Willys with a usually loaded Gobi rack and a high center of gravity and want to minimize body roll by raising its rollcenter, the stock Rubi springs and shocks aren’t very good at dampening that motion. This Rancho kit is just the first stop in experimenting with springs and shock combo, hopefully it works, but if not I’ll try something else. The 9000 shocks appear to be a larger diameter that will rub against the Synergy bracket, just looking for confirmation.

·
Super Moderator
7,383 Posts
I have a 2 door Willys with a usually loaded Gobi rack and a high center of gravity and want to minimize body roll by raising its rollcenter, the stock Rubi springs and shocks aren’t very good at dampening that motion. This Rancho kit is just the first stop in experimenting with springs and shock combo, hopefully it works, but if not I’ll try something else. The 9000 shocks appear to be a larger diameter that will rub against the Synergy bracket, just looking for confirmation.
You will have dramatically less body roll with this lift.
I would start there, and consider other options if you still have an issue.
I know the Teraflex rear track bar bracket works with the Rancho shocks.

4201 - 4220 of 4228 Posts