Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second Jeep....and I want to do things right this time around. Even if that means having to wait longer to save the cash for the better product. I am trying to decide between the two kits in the title. I will be going with Rancho RS9000xl Shocks regardless of which system I get. This is a daily driver, and will mainly be trail rides and Over-landing. I live in Florida so don't have much need for a Rock Crawler and these two kits seemed about where I want to be with my vehicle. They are priced at pretty much the same around $1000-$1200 with out shocks which is around my price range that I am looking for.

I always see GREAT things about the metal cloak kits but haven't seen much in the way of the rancho systems on here, other than the shocks. So any input you can give, the better! Thanks in advance!

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
I'm no expert but I tweek on this forum often and I never hear Rancho lift kits listed as a top contender. Metalcloak, AEV, RK yes. I have metalcloak and don't have any complaints.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Knowing what I know now I'd do a frankenlift. The metalcloak OME shocks would be first to get changed. They are fine but I am curious if it would ride better with rancho's. Also seems like it might be cheaper. But the ease of a complete kit is nice.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If Rancho makes a good suspension kit for a Wrangler with coil springs it will be their first . Stick with proven names ,Rancho sure has had plenty of time to become one but.....

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Knowing what I know now I'd do a frankenlift. The metalcloak OME shocks would be first to get changed. They are fine but I am curious if it would ride better with rancho's. Also seems like it might be cheaper. But the ease of a complete kit is nice.
Yeah, I wasn't planning on using the OME shocks. Either Rancho 9000xl or Fox 2.0. The Fox shocks are pricey, but, I may end up saving my cash for those anyway.

If Rancho makes a good suspension kit for a Wrangler with coil springs it will be their first . Stick with proven names ,Rancho sure has had plenty of time to become one but.....
And that's why I asked. RANCHO has been around a while, and their kits too, which means they must be selling enough to keep it going. Yet i never hear anything about them on here or other Jeep forums.

·
Super Moderator
14,533 Posts
The Rancho kits are not bad... But they are now a mid level kit that still need stuff added to them and most importantly, with bushings coming along as they are, they have fallen behind. Their springs, brackets and shocks are good. Their control arms, track bars and sway bar links are not as good... They are going to appeal to a value buyer more than a performance buyer.

The Metalcloak stuff is really good. Their bushings and overall engineering are in the absolute upper tier of manufacturers. Plus, you can turn a Dual Rate in to a Game Changer by just adding the rest of the arms and the rear bar, etc.

The RK 3.5 Flex is also a great lift, but not as complete as the MC. If you work with a vendor to complete the kit (shocks, bump stops and a rear bar), it is really good too. I have the RK springs paired with Rancho RS5000X shocks and it's an impressive setup. Worth checking out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts