Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone run one or heard anything good or bad about this kit? Or know of a good 4" kit

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
4" is a lot of lift, and unless you need the height and running 40" tires-it's unnecessary.
What size tires do you want to run ? What type of wheeling are you going to do?

As far as your question. Rancho makes some decent stuff, and personally feel they're somewhat underrated. There's so many great company's that make parts for the JK.

My advice. Read the sticky post and do lots of research before making a big jump.
Ask questions if there's anything you don't understand :thumb:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I went with 3" and some get nervous about that high. 4" - count on new drive shafts, control arms, everything. As previous poster said, 4" is unnecessary for anything under 37" tires,
But at that point you're
Looking at a big
Time project with lots of $ - which it sounds like you may not be looking into that

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with 3" and some get nervous about that high. 4" - count on new drive shafts, control arms, everything. As previous poster said, 4" is unnecessary for anything under 37" tires,
But at that point you're
Looking at a big
Time project with lots of $ - which it sounds like you may not be looking into that
I will start with 35" tires and then once I get my axles beefed up I will be putting 37" maybe 38 if the axles can take them. I already know its gonna cost good amount, I just can't see myself dropping $2,500+ for a nice LA suspension when I'm in Florida with no rock crawling in sight.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
4"+ lifts like 37" wheels are cool but they come at a cost beyond the lift kit and tires. You obviously are aware of those costs.

If you are going to with a large lift then consider one of the top quality systems. Rancho is not bad there are much better ones out there.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4"+ lifts like 37" wheels are cool but they come at a cost beyond the lift kit and tires. You obviously are aware of those costs.

If you are going to with a large lift then consider one of the top quality systems. Rancho is not bad there are much better ones out there.
Will do, I'll keep lookin

·
Registered
331 Posts
To many variables and depends on what your looking for. Some like a stuffed look. Some don't. Some wheel different types of trails than others.
Some want lots of up travel. Some have flat fenders some don't. Some 4" lifts might give you 3-3 1/2 inches of lift some might give you 3 1/2 to 4 inches of lift. I don't Believe there is one exact setup. I prefer the not stuffed look I like plenty of up travel. But one thing is for sure. You get into that range of 3 1/2" or more of actual lift and and you want your Jeep to drive and handle well it comes with a price tag.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Seeuoffroad is right. If you go big, your street handling goes down. You'll need to regear and tune for starts depending on the kit you get. 37's and up are sweet, make sure you gusset the axles and hopefully start with a 44 in the front. I run 35 with 3 1/2" lift. I can crawl most things with no problem

·
Registered
331 Posts
Remember most trails have been wheeled for years. People with 33" tires have been getting through them for years. 35" are normally more than enough. But I too am going from 35" to 37" with Pr44 and 4" lift with flat fenders and all of the geometry correction and steering linkage I need. WHY? I just can't help my self. This is also my wife's and my only hobby. Building our Jeep and Wheel'n in Moab and Colorado. Some people love to tell me I'll never get the money I have put into my Jeep back. They would be correct. But you also don't get your money back after 18 holes of golf. It's our hobby and we don't care what our $$$ return is. Our return is the enjoyment we get building it and going all over the country and Wheel'n it. I'm 50 years old. More than likely it's my last Jeep build. I'm doing everything the way I want it. I can't wait for the motor to go so I can get a Hemi.
Do what you want! It's your life your Jeep your money. Ignore what others want you to do with your life, Jeep and money.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much are you looking to spend?
I would like to stay around 2000, wouldn't be upset if it was a little less haha

To many variables and depends on what your looking for. Some like a stuffed look. Some don't. Some wheel different types of trails than others.
Some want lots of up travel. Some have flat fenders some don't. Some 4" lifts might give you 3-3 1/2 inches of lift some might give you 3 1/2 to 4 inches of lift. I don't Believe there is one exact setup. I prefer the not stuffed look I like plenty of up travel. But one thing is for sure. You get into that range of 3 1/2" or more of actual lift and and you want your Jeep to drive and handle well it comes with a price tag.
I think I may go with the RK 3.5 X factor mid arm

Seeuoffroad is right. If you go big, your street handling goes down. You'll need to regear and tune for starts depending on the kit you get. 37's and up are sweet, make sure you gusset the axles and hopefully start with a 44 in the front. I run 35 with 3 1/2" lift. I can crawl most things with no problem
Ya I'm about to buy my Rubi this week so I'll have the 44s

Remember most trails have been wheeled for years. People with 33" tires have been getting through them for years. 35" are normally more than enough. But I too am going from 35" to 37" with Pr44 and 4" lift with flat fenders and all of the geometry correction and steering linkage I need. WHY? I just can't help my self. This is also my wife's and my only hobby. Building our Jeep and Wheel'n in Moab and Colorado. Some people love to tell me I'll never get the money I have put into my Jeep back. They would be correct. But you also don't get your money back after 18 holes of golf. It's our hobby and we don't care what our $$$ return is. Our return is the enjoyment we get building it and going all over the country and Wheel'n it. I'm 50 years old. More than likely it's my last Jeep build. I'm doing everything the way I want it. I can't wait for the motor to go so I can get a Hemi.
Do what you want! It's your life your Jeep your money. Ignore what others want you to do with your life, Jeep and money.
I feel the same way, people say similar things about dropping a lot of money in it but it makes me happy and I enjoy it, so money well spent for me
"Do what you want! It's your life your Jeep your money." Perfectly said

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
MFG ... Do you own A Tj or JK? I see you posting in both sections and recently.

And just a note: ride quality is subjective. Before you buy a kit based on somebody's opinion on ride. Ask questions like
- (if you do own a JK) 2 or 4 door
- what tires and load rating
- shocks
- all 8 adjustable mid or long arms
- area (here in CT the roads are horrible
- etc

1 - 20 of 23 Posts