Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about replacing my OEM shocks on my 014 Willy when I put the leveling kit in. I'm trying to dampen some of the sway and make for a better ride. Like I've said before most of my driving is DD and out on he beach at Nassau Sound inlet in NE Florida and for those in the know Osceola State Forest during the spring. My question is are the 9000's over kill. I had debated on installing a lift kit but if I'm just running 285's why should it.

·
Super Moderator
16,381 Posts
They are both really good shocks. The price on the 5000X with the current Rancho rebate makes them a really good shock at a great price.

The 9000XL's are great if you occasionally tow a trailer where you can firm them up and help stabilize the extra weight.

For your intended use, the 5000X will do the job nicely.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just received my TF (pucks) leveling kit and my rs5000x ($150 including rebate) in the mail. I will put them on my JK this weekend and let you know how they are

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
if you like to fiddle a bit with suspension/ride then the 9000s are your choice;

if you're satisfied with bolting them on & then wondering 'what if'.....I'd still recommend 9000 Ranchos.

Best set of shocks I've ever installed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Rather than make a whole new thread, I'm gonna hijack this one for a sec... :beerdrinking:

Would the 5000 series be enough shock for the RK 3.5" coils? Like the OP, my jeeps a pavement princess for the majority of the time. I think the lengths will work, but I'm afraid the 5000's wont handle the aggressive coils.

·
Commercial Member
2,299 Posts
Rather than make a whole new thread, I'm gonna hijack this one for a sec... :beerdrinking:

Would the 5000 series be enough shock for the RK 3.5" coils? Like the OP, my jeeps a pavement princess for the majority of the time. I think the lengths will work, but I'm afraid the 5000's wont handle the aggressive coils.
Plenty of folks on the forum running those same springs and the new 5000's. Majority say they love it. @kjeeper10

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
9000s and don't look back. Fine tune your ride and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I just did the RK 2.5 stock mod with the 5000x's and couldn't be happier. they ride better than stock IMHO

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Go with the 9000XL shocks. I have had them on my 02' Dodge Quad 4x4 since new. I purchased them for towing my boat and worked great for the adjust-ability.
When I purchased my 12' JK, I did not hesitate to go with the 9000XL shocks.
When I put a Barricade roof rack on my JK. And then I added 2 awnings and a RTT to that roof rack. It really made the little JK roll in the corners.
I adjusted 9000XL shock from 3 to 7 and now that roll in the corners and nose diving on braking has been reduced TREMENDOUSLY.
I did not even think about that issue when I purchased the shocks. But I am damn glad I have the ability to mitigate the instability of the roof rack load by using the RS9000XL shocks.
No brainer as far as I am concerned. Go with the 9000's. You'll be glad you did.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
I love my Rancho 9000xl's! They compliment my Teraflex lift well and the adjustability is definitely a nice feature. As an added bonus that they really should advertise, I'm able to run my tires about 5-8 psi higher than before by adjusting the shocks to absorb more of the pothole/road jarring. That allows me to get 18+ mpg on a lifted JKU running steel bumpers front and rear with winch and heavy 33" e rated tires. I love my setup and feel it's pretty close to budget bombproof... Just an FYI

(p.s. Thanks again @kjeeper10 for putting that setup together and all your help on WF!)

Joe

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have read that the 5000x handles big bumps and pot holes much better than the 9000xl. After a lot of research on the 9000xl and 5000x, I recently replaced the stock sport shocks with the RS5000x. The Good part is the Jeep feels more controlled and stable going over the big bumps, pot holes and rough patches. The bad part is now I feel every little crack and crevice in the road. Now that I'm feeling every little uneven thing driving down the road, it makes me think how often do I really hit big potholes and bumps? I'm thinking maybe I should have went with the 9000xl. I'm still going to give it some time before I decide. I'm glad Rancho has a 90-day return policy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yea, I ended up with the 9000's. After Ranchos rebate offer and the discount from @AOR I got a set for a total of $255. You just cant beat these shocks for that price.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have and really like the 9000's and I have one tip for you. Take the adjusters off and put some grease in the holes and reinstall the adjusters. I am in the rust belt and I have had my shocks replaced under warranty but a little preventive grease will save you the same issues.
Otherwise they are great shocks and the company is awesome too.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
I have read that the 5000x handles big bumps and pot holes much better than the 9000xl. After a lot of research on the 9000xl and 5000x, I recently replaced the stock sport shocks with the RS5000x. The Good part is the Jeep feels more controlled and stable going over the big bumps, pot holes and rough patches. The bad part is now I feel every little crack and crevice in the road. Now that I'm feeling every little uneven thing driving down the road, it makes me think how often do I really hit big potholes and bumps? I'm thinking maybe I should have went with the 9000xl. I'm still going to give it some time before I decide. I'm glad Rancho has a 90-day return policy.
How many miles ? Give em a good 500 or so. Mine felt better with milage. Cooler temps and shocks are not friendly either. In the summer overall the jeep is much more comfortable to drive.

Yes Rancho has a 90 day return.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts