Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'99 TJ, 2" coil lift, 32x11.5 tires...

I have done some reading and I know a lot of y'all like the new 5000X. But I have run the 9000XL on several of my trucks and really like them. Here is the problem, my wife will be driving the TJ quite a bit, and she is uhmmm somewhat endowed:

So, on my '97 TJ I had the RS9000XL's and she complained that the shocks were too stiff causing "unauthorized excessive endowment movement" even when turned down to the #1 setting.

Right now the jeep rides pretty soft and has some body roll I don't care for. I just added a new bumper and a CEM8000 lb Warn which has squished the front end down about an inch. I can't tell y'all what kind of shocks or springs they are, but I knew the shocks were toast before adding the extra weight of the bumper/winch.

I want to stick with Rancho, so would the 5000X be a better choice? Or is there another Rancho shock I should consider?

Pic of front up on jack stands:

PS: that is not my wife, but I thought a visual aid would help some of you grasp the problem:)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm running the 5000x. Absolutely satisfied. Great on and off road.

·
Registered
144 Posts
think I will need to see the wife's endowments in order to make appropriate recommendation :drool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
think I will need to see the wife's endowments in order to make appropriate recommendation :drool:
:rolleyes:

Here we have the "squish":

And said cause of the squish:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Exactly what tire pressure are you running inside your 32" tires? No guesses or 'around' answers allowed. :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerry....to be honest I just had them mounted and balanced a couple of weeks ago and have never checked them....I'll check-em asap

Remember, the TJ in the photos rides fine for her....but it needs new shocks, at least in the front.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Odds are very good that the tire shop grossly overinflated them, they typically do since most tire jocks think the tire pressure on the sidewall is what it should be inflated to. The sidewall's pressure indication is never the correct pressure to actually use, that is only the tire's max safe air pressure. 32x11.50 tires should be inflated to around 28-30 psi at the most. 28 around town, 30 fully loaded on the highway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Odds are very good that the tire shop grossly overinflated them, they typically do since most tire jocks think the tire pressure on the sidewall is what it should be inflated to. The sidewall's pressure indication is never the correct pressure to actually use, that is only the tire's max safe air pressure. 32x11.50 tires should be inflated to around 28-30 psi at the most. 28 around town, 30 fully loaded on the highway.
Would 28-30 psi be correct on 31/10.50 tires also? I have a 300 mile highway trip in my TJ next Monday and would like to set the right psi.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have had both sets of shocks on my old truck and was not happy with either one. ruff ride and did not last very long before I had to replace. ( i only drove on the beach, no serious off roading)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I find it surprising to find complaints on the adjustable RS9000xls. I'm more inclined to blame it on the unknown manufacturer of coil springs.

You need to inspect your lift more closely, especially at the bumpstops. It looks like you are missing the rubber bumpstop in the pic.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Would 28-30 psi be correct on 31/10.50 tires also? I have a 300 mile highway trip in my TJ next Monday and would like to set the right psi.
That's a slightly smaller tire, I'd bump that pressure up to 29-31 or so.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I find it surprising to find complaints on the adjustable RS9000xls. I'm more inclined to blame it on the unknown manufacturer of coil springs.

You need to inspect your lift more closely, especially at the bumpstops. It looks like you are missing the rubber bumpstop in the pic.
Are you talking to me(Di Nero)? You are right about the springs and shocks...do't have an ID on them. The 9000XLs were on a '97 TJ I had 10 years ago...this is a new to me '99.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

Yeah, me too. My Jeep would not jiggle the assets. I have said it before but my Jeep is cushy soft riding and very quiet and smooth. People often blame the shocks and/or springs but the biggest contributor to my original rough as Hades ride was that the clevite control arms (RC brand) were simply locked up and could not articulate short of nuclear force applied. If the control arms cannot articulate, then the suspension cannot cycle regardless of the shocks and springs.

If we are opposed to any sort of jiggling then I suggest Currie/Savvy or perhaps the Metalcloack stuff or something with JJs. I do not see anyway with the RS9000 shocks set to the 1 setting that they could be harsh.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, after reading and researching more.....I'm more confused.

I'm leaning towards the 5000X's & with a 2" lift and 32's the recommended shocks are:

5000X-
Front RS55326, 21.8 extended, 14.0 compressed, 7.8' of travel
Rear RS55330, 25.6 extended, 16.0 compressed, 9.6" of travel

9000XL-
Front RS999239, 23.1 extended, 14.5 compressed, 8.4" of travel
Rear, RS999241, 20.8 extended, 13.6 compressed, 7.2" of travel

Both front shocks are pretty similar in spec's, but the rears are quite different...5" of difference at full extension. So, I am thinking the RS55328 would be a better fit for my app?
Rancho RS5000X Rear Shock Absorber
Compressed Length: 14.563 inches
Extended Length: 22.563 inches
Travel Length: 8.000 inches

And another question, besides verifying proper bump stops, should I be relocating the rear shock perch?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aaaaaaaand then?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You do not need to relocate the spring perch. Most guys are fine up to about four inches of lift. Yes, with the CV drive shaft needed on these lifts, rolling the pinion up to point at the T case results in the rear coils being bowed. At your two inch lift, I would not worry over it.

I am not expert at this but nearly every Jeep I have seen in person has bowed coils with a suspension lift and it seems to be okay up to about 3 or 4 inches. Yeah, if you want it perfect, you would relocate them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, thanks for the info on the perch. Looks like in ref to the rear shock I need to do some measuring............

1 - 20 of 21 Posts