Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dudes,
I have a set of these shocks on my front and they seem to be bottoming out when I go over bumps at speed (like >30mph). Front springs are stock and I have a mid width bumper on it, about 60lbs or so. I put the shocks on last fall and I didnt seem to have the front bottoming out on the old shocks.
Not sure if the shocks arent enough for my setup or if my springs are just getting worn out at 110k miles.
Anyone else running these shocks on an unlifted Jeep having similar?

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts
Dudes,
I have a set of these shocks on my front and they seem to be bottoming out when I go over bumps at speed (like >30mph). Front springs are stock and I have a mid width bumper on it, about 60lbs or so. I put the shocks on last fall and I didnt seem to have the front bottoming out on the old shocks.
Not sure if the shocks arent enough for my setup or if my springs are just getting worn out at 110k miles.
Anyone else running these shocks on an unlifted Jeep having similar?
I assume you are at stock height.
Which version of the Rancho 5000 shocks are you running? For stock height Jeeps they should be the 5326 front shocks.
How much distance do you have between the front bump stops and the bump stop pads? There should be at least 4 inches between the bump stop and the pad. Less distance means less travel, and can be caused by the springs sagging.
Could it simply be from the Rancho's being a lot firmer than the old shocks?
Some go with the 9000 series Rancho's so they can adjust the firmness of the shocks to taste.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4" eh? Ill have to go measure. that is the part Im running too.
I dont think its due to the stiffness of the shock. Its a sudden BANG when going over say a RR Xing or similar. I havent put a webcam under there to check yet, but I think thats my next step.

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Actually I had a video of it.
Heres me in the driveway
I stand on the bumper and sort of jump up and down on it. Clearance is close
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4m7TTfZ5Y94FLkfE6
Looks like springs are shot.
Your jounce bumper needs to be replaced too...

https://www.prothanesuspensionparts...KIGrCZSyCA_WXdKagXx6JVYIbV6KTW5saArdaEALw_wcB

But I have to say, there is no way I could move my suspension like that with the 5000X's when I had them. They are medium firm and I'm going to say that you should pull one of those shocks and hand test the collapse and rebound action.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your jounce bumper needs to be replaced too...

https://www.prothanesuspensionparts...KIGrCZSyCA_WXdKagXx6JVYIbV6KTW5saArdaEALw_wcB

But I have to say, there is no way I could move my suspension like that with the 5000X's when I had them. They are medium firm and I'm going to say that you should pull one of those shocks and hand test the collapse and rebound action.
Hmm..interesting. I just checked the PO from the place I got them and did confirm again that they are the part mentioned above. Is there a stiffer part that can be used for heavier front end weights? I do have that bumper on there. Although it is substantially worse on the driver's side opposed to the passenger.
I do want to get a webcam and throw it on there for a road test.

I dont really want to pull them, its january and the driveway is wet and cold. I do have a set of basically new 19/60 Rubicon springs that have been sitting in my basement.

And I do know those bump stops are toast. Probably will change if/when i do the springs.

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
Hmm..interesting. I just checked the PO from the place I got them and did confirm again that they are the part mentioned above. Is there a stiffer part that can be used for heavier front end weights? I do have that bumper on there. Although it is substantially worse on the driver's side opposed to the passenger.

I dont really want to pull them, its january and the driveway is wet and cold. I do have a set of basically new 19/60 Rubicon springs that have been sitting in my basement.

And I do know those bump stops are toast. Probably will change if/when i do the springs.
Rancho has a great warranty... But you'll need to know if they are shot. If you are going to wait, then do it all at once, you'll still want to pull one of those shocks and get them warrantied before you take it all apart for the new springs and jounce bumpers. Then put all 3 on at the same time.

Reactions: GuzziMoto

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts

The different part numbers for the Rancho 5000 series shocks are for different length shocks. There is not different firmness versions available to my knowledge. They all should be about the same firmness, just different lengths.
If you upgrade to the Rancho 7000 series shocks they should be firmer. Or the 9000 series shocks are adjustable, with the 5000 series firmness being in the middle of the 9000 adjustment range.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The different part numbers for the Rancho 5000 series shocks are for different length shocks. There is not different firmness versions available to my knowledge. They all should be about the same firmness, just different lengths.
If you upgrade to the Rancho 7000 series shocks they should be firmer. Or the 9000 series shocks are adjustable, with the 5000 series firmness being in the middle of the 9000 adjustment range.
Ok thats fair, so its the right part anyway. I wonder if these are just not firm enough for my bumper and they get compressed too easily. I had a set of procomp mx6s on my old ZJ and liked the adjustability. Wonder if I should go that route again and adjust for need

·
Super Moderator
6,816 Posts
Ok thats fair, so its the right part anyway. I wonder if these are just not firm enough for my bumper and they get compressed too easily. I had a set of procomp mx6s on my old ZJ and liked the adjustability. Wonder if I should go that route again and adjust for need
Springs are what carries the weight. Shocks are only to control the springs. The firmness of the shocks has minimal to do with how heavy your rig is. That is mainly a function related to the spring rates. But firmer shocks can mask to an extent springs that are too soft.
The Rancho 5000's are fairly firm. But the Rancho 7000's are firmer. Or the 9000's are adjustable. All are reasonably priced.
Make sure you haven't blown a shock or anything, if it was working better after the new shocks were installed. That can often be seen as shock oil leaking out from the shock. Rancho has a great warranty as I understand it (I never actually needed it).

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, so we are back to the springs being shot. Im pretty sure it was never "better". Its seemed to be bottoming out since day 1 and Im just getting annoyed enough to put some thought into it now

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally got around to mounting my camera and took a little ride this weekend.
Scenario: Going over these train tracks at approximately 30mph, proceeding to the road to the right. Camera mounted on driver's side

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.609...m4!1swctS8LyNd_AQE3YipWPQFQ!2e0!7i3328!8i1664

See here

Unfortunately, my camera mounting skills outweigh my tethering capability, and the stupid strap gets in front of the lens at exactly the wrong time. You get the drift though, as I go over the tracks it extends downwards, then goes to full compression as I go up the rise in the road to the right. BANG -- bottom out

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Your shocks and bump stops are shot.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BSs are for sure shot, thats easy enough
However, the shocks are basically new, or at least have performed the same since I put them on 18 mos ago

I am leaning towards springs as well as mentioned by others. >100k + mid width steel bumper with lights = sag

I do have a set of new rubicon 19/60 springs in the basement that I have been looking to put on once I got enough reason to. Looks like this is it. I believe the fronts are 17 series

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
OK, well check out the MC bumpstops. I have them and they are much better than factory.

·
Super Moderator
16,389 Posts
BSs are for sure shot, thats easy enough
However, the shocks are basically new, or at least have performed the same since I put them on 18 mos ago

I am leaning towards springs as well as mentioned by others. >100k + mid width steel bumper with lights = sag

I do have a set of new rubicon 19/60 springs in the basement that I have been looking to put on once I got enough reason to. Looks like this is it. I believe the fronts are 17 series
As suggested earlier, pull shocks and test. Probably easier and faster than mounting a camera underneath.

Reactions: GuzziMoto
1 - 20 of 30 Posts