Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is something strange and should not happen but apparently did. My buddy just installed 7000's on his lifted TJ. he measured fenders to ground before and after install and said he got exactly 1" lift with just the shock install. He said his skyjacker shocks were shot so I am thinking that extra pressure from his new shocks just helped lift the springs back to where they should be. He said when he cut the wire on the shocks the vehicle rose up so must be a lot of pressure. I wonder how long before they will settle if they do at all. I have a set coming due to be here Monday but doubt that will happen to me as mine are Rubicon shocks with only 8000 miles.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ok here is something strange and should not happen but apparently did. My buddy just installed 7000's on his lifted TJ. he measured fenders to ground before and after install and said he got exactly 1" lift with just the shock install. He said his skyjacker shocks were shot so I am thinking that extra pressure from his new shocks just helped lift the springs back to where they should be. He said when he cut the wire on the shocks the vehicle rose up so must be a lot of pressure. I wonder how long before they will settle if they do at all. I have a set coming due to be here Monday but doubt that will happen to me as mine are Rubicon shocks with only 8000 miles.
Yea they got a good charge to them. Bilsteins will do it too. An 1" seems like a stretch though. Is the tj lighter than the jk? Im not sure. I know they take some oomph to collapse thats for sure.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shocks don't provide lift.
Lean on a shock and tell me what happens. It will collapse and stay that way. Per corner a Tj weighs more than a person.
well crap guess what happened? I got my 7000's today and installed them pronto and guess what? I am perplexed as hell. I got shocks for a 2" lift and rears were about an inch taller both collapsed and extended. Fronts were a bit over 2" taller. here is the kicker back raised just a tad and front raised just over a 1/2" and I bounced the heck out of them trying to get them to settle back down. This is on a 14 with 8000 miles so the springs and the shocks should not be close to being tired. I was lucky and never had the issue that many report with getting the passenger side upper bolt going. They are made in Canada and the bushings in Mexico not the USA. Better then china or Taiwan LoL.

I talked to my buddy and he said his has not settled down either. I know shocks can not give lift that is what perplexes me. I will say the stock shocks are easier to compress by a bunch and are much slower to extend when pressure is off them. I can easily compress the stocks by hand when reattaching them in the mounts I had a heck of a time with the 7000's as so much pressure.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking good man

Fwiw .. I never ran the Rancho front uppers. Reused the stock bushings.
I thought about it but I had no issues getting the thicker bushings to fit. a person only has to hit the passenger side bottom of the battery tray with a file and file about 1/16" of an inch so the large washer can slide under. it took less then a a minute with a file.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I thought about it but I had no issues getting the thicker bushings to fit. a person only has to hit the passenger side bottom of the battery tray with a file and file about 1/16" of an inch so the large washer can slide under. it took less then a a minute with a file.
Yupp i also just did a little trimming and worked out nice.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

put about 30 miles on today with some very washboard dirt road. I think they will be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts