Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help. I'm having an issue with my 99 wrangler in that it will start fine, run for a few seconds and then either idle rough or die. When I give it gas it wants to die. When I give it gas and start letting out the clutch it REALLY wants to die. I can get it to stay alive as long as I can feather the RPMs up above 3k, but then it wants to die as I let the clutch out. If I DO get it moving, it then wants to die at 3k rpms (its as if someone hit the kill switch at 3k).

It did this once before a few years ago and I replaced the idle control valve, which corrected the issue. I replaced it yesterday again, but I'm still having the problem. Also, seems to only occur when it's cold outside.

Oh, and I think I stripped the bolts that hold the throttle body to the intake. :(

Thoughts?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hoping someone can help. I'm having an issue with my 99 wrangler in that it will start fine, run for a few seconds and then either idle rough or die. When I give it gas it wants to die. When I give it gas and start letting out the clutch it REALLY wants to die. I can get it to stay alive as long as I can feather the RPMs up above 3k, but then it wants to die as I let the clutch out. If I DO get it moving, it then wants to die at 3k rpms (its as if someone hit the kill switch at 3k).

It did this once before a few years ago and I replaced the idle control valve, which corrected the issue. I replaced it yesterday again, but I'm still having the problem. Also, seems to only occur when it's cold outside.

Oh, and I think I stripped the bolts that hold the throttle body to the intake. :(

Thoughts?
Throttle Position sensor is my very first guess...
common failure.
If not TPS, it sounds like fuel pressure.
Hope this helps..

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree on checking the throttle position sensor (I just came back to post that). I'd be a bit concerned about that stripped t-body bolt now too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a problem with rough idle and a flat spot in the RPMs @ 2000. My jeep always seemed like it wanted to die out at idle but I never did have it do that. My first instinct was TPS, but as I did research I found everyone saying it could be the O2 sensor. I didn't believe it at first but on my way home from work it through an engine code, so I stopped to have it checked and sure enough it came up as O2 sensor. I bought the exact fit one, limped it home, changed out the O2 sensor and it was cured. Took about ten minutes to change it out. I never would have believed it if I hadn't got that engine code. Just my 2 cents, it's something to look into. I have a 99 4.0.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. It threw a code but I replaced the idle control sensor and it reset when I hooked up the battery, and now the code is gone.

My guess is that it's not a vacuum issue since it only does this about 50% of the time. It's a crap shoot whether or not it will run normal when I fire it up.

I'll replace the sensors and let you know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts