Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know what would cause the ABS light, and traction control light, brake light to just randomly light up when going down the road? The speedo also starts to drop as if you are coming to an instant stop. Has this happened to anyone else? Jeep is a 2016, with 3,100 miles on it.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The first thing to check is to make sure your battery cables are tight. Sometimes cables that aren't completely tight can cause what you described with new JK's.

·
Registered
22,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first thing to check is to make sure your battery cables are tight. Sometimes cables that aren't completely tight can cause what you described with new JK's.
Hmm will do, I do have a winch hooked up, so maybe they loosened up some. The winch has been on it for a couple months though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check the earth strap on the control unit to the earth stud on the wing... It was loose on mine and caused this issue.. That earth is critical.. Surprised it doesn't have two firted

·
Registered
35 Posts
I couldn't believe that this earth was so super critical to the PCM.. It wasn't real loose, just sort of hand tight.. I was overcharging at over 16V boiling the battery, radio going off, dash lights on and instruments flickering with hesitation on freeway.. All fixed with half a turn.. Nearly returned the car as a lemon! Only has 19k on it. I am going to fit a redundant earth tonight - don't want that again!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had these same three lights flash while driving on the highway. Wasn't sure what it was. Anybody got a picture of where this ground is that was loose? I'm away from my jeep until Sunday so I can't check right now to see if I can find it. So maybe a picture would help?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
there is a ground on the left side in the driver side foot well. Make sure its clean and tight too! There has been people with problems with there cluster due to this ground being loose!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Jeeper4Life,
I had the EXACT same trouble. I bought a 2016 Wrangler Unlimited on Feb 20 of this year. 25 miles away from the garage mine done the same thing. I had about 50 miles on it when mine first done it. Mine would gear down into first gear and if I put it in park and shifted out, it felt like the transmission was going to drop out of it. Also, if I turned it off, sometimes it wouldn't want to crank back.
Here's what happened:
Took back to dealership, they told me it was a TIPM module (Total Integrated Power Module (i think)). They replaced it. It worked for 3 days then went out again.
Called Jeep directly and talked to a operator. She put me in touch with Scott (a case manager.) They towed it in to a closer dealership.
They read the codes, couldn't find anything, then updated the software, thinking that might be the problem.
Thinking more than likely they didn't fix it, they kept it an extra day to make sure. And it messed up again. This time the local Jeep dealership got hold of the STAR group (their technical support group). STAR told them it was a Transmission Power Module. So they replaced it.
This time on the test drive from switching the transmission module, everything came back in and the doors started locking and unlocking. By this time, I've owned my Jeep about 25 days and it's been in the shop 18.
They keep telling me that since it's electrical, it could be any of the modules as they all work together. Being as how I work with electronics every day in the phone company, I completely understand. Their STAR group has got them checking voltages on modules (cause he ain't got a clue what's going on.)
So now the Area Manager has come by and we're talking about replacing it under the Lemon Laws and getting me a new one. The mechanic either gets lucky or figures it out and finds it's the Tire Pressure Sensing Module that is causing the trouble. He removes it and the Jeep works fine. They drive it a day and no problem. They put a new one in and drive it a day, no problem.
Now 9 days later and over 700 miles later, the Jeep is working great. No troubles (knock on wood) as of yet.

I had alot of patience and explained how I was worried about this thing breaking down later, and they fixed me up for all my troubles.

Not saying yours is gonna be the same, but if you are still having trouble, have them look at it. Also, look into the lemon laws of your state. VA says 3 times in the warranty period is what they have to try and fix it. Fourth time, they have to swap it out or buy yours back. Patience won out over all and I am pleased with the outcome. I made sure they knew that I KNEW the lemon laws for my case.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but wanted to let you know that I feel your pain. If you're still having this trouble, contact Jeep directly and tell them you want to talk to Scott, the case manager. Sometimes he was even working until midnight.

Tell them Brian Rose from Coeburn, VA referred you. We talked QUITE OFTEN.

Good luck.

·
Registered
22,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine hasn't had any issues since fixing the way my winch was hooked up. Even spent some time in 4 low on the trail Saturday and all has been good. Sounds like you had a lot of trouble with yours! Hope you get everything worked out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts