Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Wrangler Unlimited has just started to unlock the doors all by itself. Whether I lock the doors with Key FOB, or manually, it very often unlocks itself later. Sometimes the headlights come on and I have seen the tail lights flicker as if I used the unlock button on the Key FOB. Any ideas?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Check the fob for internal corrosion/moisture. It can cause weird things to happen.

If the fob looks ok inside and the battery in it is good, then it's likely either A: A bad battery or B: Ground wire.

JK's are kind of battery picky, so a seemingly good battery can be bad. Check your connections and make sure nothing is attached to the battery using the clamp bolt.

There are grounds in each footwell, there is a ground on both inner fender rails, there is a ground connection behind the battery on the firewall. They are all 10mm. Disconnect the neg side of battery, then loosen and inspect each ground. You are looking for corrosion or just a loose connection. They are kind of tender so be gentle when you snug them back up. If they look corroded, use some sandpaper to clean up each wire's end. The ones on the inner fender rails are covered by the battery box on the passenger side and the PCM/ABS box on the drivers side. You will need to loosed the top bolts for those plastic parts and pry them toward the motor a little bit in order to access the grounds.

A faulty TIPM can also cause gremlins like you described, but hopefully cleaning and reconnecting the grounds will do it. Otherwise google TIPM connector re-seat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many Thanks for recommendations. After cleaning up some of the ground points you mentioned, the issue persisted. Although the FOB’s looked good, I decided to pull the batteries to rule them out. In the process the green circuit board dropped out of one revealing moisture and some damage. Thanks I am a huge fan of the forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts