Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4-5 times now the Jeep has lost all electrical power and shut down. It's happened after driving, turning the car off then when we try to restart, nothing. It also happened the other day while my wife was attempting to back into a parking space. She stopped, put in reverse and the car died completely - no electrical working.
She got out to open the hood and everything came back on.

I've checked the battery cables and everything is tight?

Mods that would affect electrical include Smittybuilt winch and heated seats.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Check all of the connections of the Totally Integrated Power Module located under the hood. Other than that, take it in if you're still under warranty.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeep/car - yes the Jeep vehicle has been doing this randomly. It's only 3 months old, do yes it's under warranty. But with any intermittent issue the "could not replicate customer concern" is more than likely the result I would get, so I'd rather not waste my time if I can get help here.

I will check all connections under the hood again. Thanks

·
Registered
387 Posts
double check your battery terminal connections, they need to by 100% solid. after i connected my winch i thought all was good but it turned out the terminals were not totally solid, just kinda tight and was having odd power issues.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
can you take a pick of where your winch is connected to your battery and post it here?

I know a few post that had similar issues was where they connected the winch power cab to the battery.

If you look at this picture:

This is not how to connect your electrical devices to your battery. This will cause the terminals to come loose. The nut closest to the battery terminal is meant to tighten the clamp around the battery terminal ONLY! The one further back is meant for your auxiliary devices.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a pic under the hood. If there's a better way ( or correct way ) to connect the winch, I appreciate the input. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Like nighowl said. Don't use the terminal next to the post. From the picture I can see something connected to the tightening nut on the negative terminal. That cable should be moved to the nut closer to the engine. I can't see the positive terminal from my phone but the fact remains. The nut closest to the battery post is for terminal tightening and should have anything connected to it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the info. I'll move both cables.

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
There is also a power lug that feeds the TIPM. It is on the corner. if you lift the lid you can see it. Make sure is is secure.

Bob K.

·
Registered
669 Posts
double check your battery terminal connections, they need to by 100% solid. after i connected my winch i thought all was good but it turned out the terminals were not totally solid, just kinda tight and was having odd power issues.
Same thing happened to me. That negative terminal has to be very tight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts