Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like half the time I order stuff (not only for the Jeep) I get stuff of crap quality. Even when I order things that are expensive or that have a reputation for quality. Last week I ordered a simple hitch (brand withheld for now because the support people are probably going to take care of it) for my YJ because the one I had was home-made by the previous owner and it wobbled and shook and wasn't safe even for the 2-bike rack I was carrying around. I also ordered an Ingersoll Rand 2135TiMax impact gun. When I went to pull the existing bolts off the new gun just hissed and wouldn't spin. Of course I oiled it first, with the proper oil, and I checked my pressure and CFM requirements, and all looks good. My brother-in-law recommended this gun (he came over a few weeks ago and using the same compressor took off a motor mount bolt on my daughter's accord in 1s flat when I couldn't get it with my old craftsman impact gun or even a breaker bar). His (older) version worked perfectly with my compressor so I think this one is just defective.

I resorted to hand tools (no big deal, only 10 bolts -- until I found out that the previous owner had also welded the hitch to the frame!!!! blargh). After removing the bolts, grinding the welds, and spray painting the crossmember I was ready to install the new hitch. Oops, it doesn't fit. The left bracket is welded too low on the new hitch crossmember so although it lines up with the frame holes I am unable to put the left bumperette on w/out either redrilling holes on the bumper or redrilling holes on the new hitch bracket.

Not a big deal in the scheme of things but this type of stuff seems to be the norm for me... small jobs that should take an hour or less end up taking way too long, weeks even, if you count the waiting time.

·
Registered
450 Posts
QC is no longer in the manufacturing vocabulary. Combine that with most 'brand names' now getting their products made overseas, with inferior materials, and just adding a known brand decal or stamp, and you have a recipe for trouble.

A 30 year old $5 garage sale impact gun, and a little oil, will probably outlast most new ones!

It's pathetic.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Totally agree. Not to say that something made in China is always crap. If the parent company has certain specs and tolerances to adhere to, and INSIST on QC, there is no reason something made in China (or wherever) can't be quality. But when the bottom line is all that matters...expect to buy crap. Most of the time it is all about bottom line. Foreign workers get paid less, the companies can pollute the environment with out any consequences. There is no OSHA. Keep that in mind the next time you buy your $150 pair of Nike's when you know they were probably made for about a dollar. Oh well, the shareholders are happy and the executives get their big bonuses. It is a shame.

I have a 20 year old IR2131 that I used every day as a professional mechanic. Never let me down.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I got the replacement impact gun in the mail yesterday and it works fine, so first one was definitely defective. Still waiting to hear back from the hitch place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts