Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 TJ and Im installing a cd player tom, I have read on here that u had to take off the grill piece that goes over the defroster. When I took it off I found a wire that looks to have a braided material around it with a plug that is just sitting there not plugged in. Im pretty sure everything works on my jeep so im wondering what that plug could be? Any help would be awesome. Thanks

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Sounds like the ground for the stereo.... but I've been wrong at least once already today... :)

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
I wonder if it is the wiring for the fog lights. If you don't have fog lights that may be what it is. However, as stated a pic would help.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sounds like the antenna wire for the radio. They don't give you much slack, so if you pulled the stock radio out even a little, you probably unplugged it from the back.

·
Banned
7,496 Posts
A picture would help but I do not believe it is an antenna wire or your fog light wire due to the antenna and fog wire not being visible if all you removed was the defroster vent. My first guess would be a wire the previous owner has run or relocated for some reason.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Probably the wiring setup for the auto dimming mirror + compass thermometer. The thermometer would be in the front of the jeep in the grill, but the wiring runs up that way then over to the passenger side of the windshield frame up to the mirror...

Or it could be the wire for illumination of an automatic transmission. My TJ has a wire in that area that isn't used but I have a manual.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
A picture would help but I do not believe it is an antenna wire or your fog light wire due to the antenna and fog wire not being visible if all you removed was the defroster vent. My first guess would be a wire the previous owner has run or relocated for some reason.
I agree. The antenna wire is short, and easily unplugged, but it's not likely that this is what you're seeing. If it was a stereo ground, then your current stereo would be having issues.

Post a pic of the 'plug'. My money is on a GPS, MP3, satellite radio adapter, or other accessory that the PO had up on the dash.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
They use a common harness and unless you have every possible option there are always unused wires.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I believe Erickpl is right because everything works right now with that wire not hooked to anything. Mine is a Standard Tranny as well. I didnt think it was a big deal just knew everyone on here wold figure it out for me. Im installing an Alpine DE-103BT CD Player. It has hands free calling with Blue tooth. Im anxious to see if my jeep will be to loud inside for the Mic to pick up my voice while using the hands free. Ill update tom and let yall know. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Took my cover off yesterday to run some driving lights on my 03 TJ. I have the same wire you are describing ( I think). My radio works and my factory fogs work. I was wondering the same thing. I didn't take a pic either.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If I'm not mistaken (could be, never know...), when I bought radio install kit from Q-tec, there was directions listing this wire as a ground for either early tj or later model tjs. Dash is different in the 1997-2002 for the radios. 2003-2006 are similar.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
InfernoGirl said:
Sounds like the ground for the stereo.... but I've been wrong at least once already today... :)
That's what it sounded like to me. Braided cable sounds like a ground

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Braided can also be the antenna wire (the braiding = shielding)...which is what I'm placing my bets on since the radio would still function even with it hooked up...radio reception would just suck. Unless it's a flat braided wire, then that would be a ground wire for sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts