Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today after alot of stripping and taking stuff out of my jeep, Its time for Spraying!
Pictures coming soon!
1. Stripping EVERYTHING out of the tub
2. Priming it with self-etching primer
3. Hauling it to their shop and leaving it 'til they got a round tuit

Since I was going to have to tape and mask the tub to spray the primer, it was time to look at DIY options.

U-Pol Raptor - Reasonable cost (~$150 inclusive) Great DIY results.

Having picked U-Pol Raptor, here is what I learned:

* Prep is everything. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's true with any paint job, but it's true. Resign yourself to taking the time to strip the tub carefully and use the opportunity to fix/upgrade the nit things that you've been putting off. In my case, I reworked some wiring, fixed a problem with the keeper strap on my tube doors and fabbed a bezel for the boot around the T/C shifters
* Spray Raptor in a well ventilated area and wear at least a half mask respirator, as spraying it kicks out serious fumes.
* U-Pol is a great chemical company, but their bedliner kit marketing needs work. The Raptor bedliner kit includes four .75 liter bottles of material plus a liter of catalyst. Some of their kits include the needed Schutz gun, but others do not. (It is almost impossible to know from the part number whether the kit you order includes the gun or not, and the Raptor bottle is taller and has a smaller diameter cap than the "standard" Schutz gun bottle. Lesson learned, ask your dealer! )
* If you don't have Xylene, U-Pol won't tell you, but Raptor can easily be cleaned with Acetone
* Taping and masking is the same for Raptor as it is for regular paint. (i.e. You don't need wire tape) Pull the tape 15-20 min after applying the 2nd coat and the Raptor edge will soften slightly to blend into the unpainted area.
* Keeping the gun moving and >12" from the surface provides a typical spray in bedliner texture.
* The directions say to simply top off the 750ML paint bottles to the "A" mark with the included catalyzing agent, but I never could find it. Get a graduated .5L cup from the paint store to measure a 250 ML portion; it's easier

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After hours of dismantling the jeep, I started getting ready for paint. About an hour in of taping, I was almost done and ran out of tape, I'm gonna borrow my moms car to go get some more( I'm 16) I will let you know how it goes

Furniture

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey man, saw your link to this from your thread on tumbling the front passenger seat. Looks great! I want to do this myself (17 years old), but my dad thinks I'll make it look like crap haha. Imma show him this as proof! DO you have much experience painting? and did you sand and prime?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
luckyAD80 said:
Hey man, saw your link to this from your thread on tumbling the front passenger seat. Looks great! I want to do this myself (17 years old), but my dad thinks I'll make it look like crap haha. Imma show him this as proof! DO you have much experience painting? and did you sand and prime?
I had zero experience with paint nor anthing like this. All I did was give it a little sand ..not much just scratch it up alittle. It was very easy to do. You won't have ant problems as long as you do all your prep work good. Tape up everything you don't want sprayed. It was very easy. I put one seat in and tomorrow when it's fully dry ima put all them back in. Ill post a pic

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry man, i was rushing to get it back together. and i forgot to take the picture.. But it looks the same as it did in that picture above.. but its alot better with out all that paper and tape.. here is another thread that i looked at before i started mine,

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/gs-goes-black-upol-raptor-liner-102613.html

Good luck with your dad. hope he lets you, and make sure you mix the right amount of hardener! Good luck and happy spraying

1 - 7 of 7 Posts