Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't an ad, much less for products/techniques that don't work, or illegal activities.

My money making scheme involves establishing a financial fund that is "long" in Wrangler JKs. In other words, the trust holds brand new Wrangler JKs purchased today.

When the JL comes out several things will happen.

* There will be some problems--as is the case with nearly any new model.

* There will be die hard Jeepers who today find the JK too bells and whistles intense compared to their [T|Y|C]J.... ("|" means "or") but will "settle" for a JK (when the JL comes out) when faced with the idea of having to buy a JL, which, to their mind, is even further abstracted from their idea of what a true Jeep is, with things like even more suburban family features. They will feel that they've been sold out for what happens under the hood and passenger compartment for bells and whistles on the dash and in the interior cabin.

(I'm not saying such lack of mechanical ruggedness is the case in the JL, I'm simply dealing in perceptions here, not necessarily fact.)

* All of a sudden, JK's won't be the "new kids on the block" that die harders shun. The will develop some "street cred" for the "true" Jeeper, who often shuns the very company "of the day" who owns the Wrangler at any point in time (currently FCA).

Accordingly, the trust then divests itself of these now even more desirous JKs to the marketplace (and highest bidder), and the fund holders divide the profits between what the JKs were purchased for, and sold for later.

Depreciation by buying last year's model???: market value and owner retention are legendary in the Wrangler community.

Defend of refute... I'm curious what others have to say about this.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would never buy a JK as an investment. When the JL comes out a lot of people (soccer moms not Jeepers) will be trading in their JK for the newest best thing, and soccer moms buy far more JK's than us Jeepers do. I think the market will be flooded with pristine mall crawling JK's. The older Jeepers here that despise the JL will get used to it sooner or later, just like a lot of people have done with the JK. I think the value of the JK will either stay the same or go down slightly.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So 15JKUR, you suspect (and you may be as correct as it is sad) that the following phrase may be repeated:

"Pookie, mommy just got you all the things you wanted at (the upscale mall) Sephora and there is no way you are taking that ice cream into mommy's new JLU Rubicon, who's Bluetooth/phone can't even manage to work in this parking garage so mommy can tell the hair stylist she's running late!"

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I would never buy a JK as an investment. When the JL comes out a lot of people (soccer moms not Jeepers) will be trading in their JK for the newest best thing, and soccer moms buy far more JK's than us Jeepers do. I think the market will be flooded with pristine mall crawling JK's. The older Jeepers here that despise the JL will get used to it sooner or later, just like a lot of people have done with the JK. I think the value of the JK will either stay the same or go down slightly.
How many Wranglers are bought by "soccer moms" and where did you get this from?

·
Premium Member
9,794 Posts
This isn't an ad, much less for products/techniques that don't work, or illegal activities.

My money making scheme involves establishing a financial fund that is "long" in Wrangler JKs. In other words, the trust holds brand new Wrangler JKs purchased today.
And where will these brand new assets reside? Held in a warehouse somewhere?

You do know that a new vehicle, once purchased, becomes a used vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts

I personally think the OP has hit on the deal of the century and to prove my support I presently posses a large warehouse that will house a few hundred units that I am willing to lease for storage. Of course I have to have my money up front and in cash. :happyyes:

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Will profits exceed the cost of storage, taxes, and insurance?
And unless someone has cash, add interest to the above.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Will profits exceed the cost of storage, taxes, and insurance?
And unless someone has cash, add interest to the above.
Exactly, you also have to consider the cost of tying up your cash (opportunity cost) while waiting for your return on the investment. You need to boil it down to rate of return. Consider the NPV(net present value) and FV (future value), etc. Then u can analyze if storing 20 JKs for x amount of years is worth it considering depreciation, storage, insurance, etc. When compared to putting that amount of cash in an interest earning account.

The x factor is how collectible these would be in a few years and what the market will pay. No one could have predicted that if you bought a new 427 Corvette that it would be worth 6 figures today, but I digress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
History has proven that your "scheme" will not work.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
As in soccer mom I am referring to people who aren't really enthusiast. Almost all JK's are bought by "normal people"

·
Registered
156 Posts
You do know that Jeep will continue to produce the JK along side the JL for at least 6 months, if not longer...?

If I had enough money to buy allot of brand new cars in the hope that they would increase in value... eh...

·
Registered
943 Posts
If I had enough money to buy allot of brand new cars in the hope that they would increase in value... eh...
"and the fund holders divide the profits between what the JKs were purchased for, and sold for later"

Sounds like he's looking for investors.

OP I think you'd have a better roi if you bought (insert next iPhone or game console here) and then sold them on eBay when they get back ordered. The Nintendo Switch that recently came out was selling for double msrp online.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The NES classic edition has a high resale value because they are so rare. I saw switches go on ebay for like $100 over retail on release night one after the other. There wasn't that much money to be made after ebay fees and shipping.

·
Registered
904 Posts
buy and hold

A fool and his money are soon parted. The whole logic of this proposal has to be a joke. Real jeepers don't want their jeep (used or newer) to be "from the factory" they add and subtract parts to create what they want. Paying over stick price is best reserved for ultra yuppie , limited production vehicles. dealers will have these on lots for at least 1 to 2 more years.... Gee can i buy a bridge from you too?

So you want investors, public or private? , Would never work with publicly traded funds, say I buy 1000 shares today and wanna sell it next week, you gonna personally cover every investor? and good luck convincing private equity to invest in this. And if you do convince someone with real funds, whats your sell? how do you keep from getting cut out of a deal in which you have no equity or unique position in...I have had 30+ vehicles in my life the only one that Appreciated was a land rover defender 90 (which had a diesel) and that only happened because LR quit importing them due to not having airbags and rich yuppies were willing to way overpay.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Take a look on Cars.com and see what TJ Rubicons and bringing. I saw a 2005 with 60000 miles. My friend's fiance was the sales manager and I asked her what it was priced at... $18900 when NADA clean retail was no more than $12000. Sold in a week.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The JK & JL will both be available for a part of 2018...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts