Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what your expectations are on the quality of parts from a mainstream supplier. Would this be acceptable to you?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Where are the welds you want us to rate?:confused:

If you are asking about the picture you posted, the only thing that looks like is JB Weld...:D

·
Registered
317 Posts
This welding was done on my old rear end and it looks like it's done buy Hellen Keller Kustoms. I think it was supposed to actually be brail for her to read. Yes, yes. I know; I'm going to hell.

image-792703141.jpg

·
Registered
728 Posts
Just curious as to what your expectations are on the quality of parts from a mainstream supplier. Would this be acceptable to you?
Why don't you buy a different cage? Isn't this the same thing you have been talking about for a year or so???

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Give it up Dude. You've been ragging on about this cage for a year.
Get some balls and move on.

They need to add a smilie of a guy with a gun to his head.:rip:

Reactions: RobertLJ

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Give it up Dude. You've been ragging on about this cage for a year.
Get some balls and move on.

They need to add a smilie of a guy with a gun to his head.:rip:
Hey there Billibob, this was a replacement part that was just sent to me to take care of the previous issue, just asking if this would be acceptable, nothing more nothing less, I always welcome constructive valued input, thanks

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
While not your typical aesthetically pleasing looking weld, they are actually pretty good. They are a bit hot, but not overly so. There is a bit of convexity down the bead, but the weld is so overdone that it won't matter.

It's actually close to a very good weld than a very bad weld. I'd much prefer that to one that was run too cold and had a series of stress risers from someone trying to stack dimes on a steel weld.

Those were done in a continuous bead so overall, not bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like a dual shield weld. Typically a high penetration, smooth flat weld.
Not as aesthetically pleasing as a finely executed mig or tig weld, but quite strong.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While not your typical aesthetically pleasing looking weld, they are actually pretty good. They are a bit hot, but not overly so. There is a bit of convexity down the bead, but the weld is so overdone that it won't matter.

It's actually close to a very good weld than a very bad weld. I'd much prefer that to one that was run too cold and had a series of stress risers from someone trying to stack dimes on a steel weld.

Those were done in a continuous bead so overall, not bad.
Okay, now that is something I can use, my intent is to get feedback on whether to install this part on my jeep. Thank you so much for your response!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like a dual shield weld. Typically a high penetration, smooth flat weld.
Not as aesthetically pleasing as a finely executed mig or tig weld, but quite strong.
I appreciate your feedback and observation of the weld, just looking for an honest opinion on what I have here to ensure this part is acceptable, thanks!

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
looks fine to me. as already said, it's not the prettiest ever, but it's plenty strong. heck just raking a file across it will remove the buggers. A little dremel sanding wheel/flap disc will make it look really smooth if you're going for a blingy chrome-able finish. I've seen much worse on my Jeep, from assembly line robots.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My concern when I see a sloppy bead is how well the surfaces were prepped before the bead was laid down. Do you really think a welder who can't be bothered to learn how to lay down a good bead is going to take the time to thoroughly prep the surfaces?

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
My concern when I see a sloppy bead is how well the surfaces were prepped before the bead was laid down. Do you really think a welder who can't be bothered to learn how to lay down a good bead is going to take the time to thoroughly prep the surfaces?
Well, the good news is that 99% of the time, a poorly prepped surface shows up in the quality of the weld. It is very hard to do a good looking weld over paint, grease, contaminated metal, or even dross from a laser or plasma cut.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts