Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the rattling topic has been beaten to death. I know cause even though I am new I did a search. I didn't see anyone in any of them asking about my specific area though.

So, I spent a few minutes driving over manhole covers trying to narrow down where this noise was. It only rattles when I go over with the front axle. My daughter said def coming from passenger side. It doesn't seem like it's in the car, it sounds more like it's underneath. 13 Sport Unlimited. AGain, kinda going back to a thread I made yesterday, I just bought it and I know it's lifted but, I have no idea what's in the suspension with the exception of billstein 5100 shocks.

Any ideas? I did check the heat shield. All bolts intact and it's pretty tight. I tugged on some stuff but everything felt pretty solid. On the Jeep I'm talking about.

Sorry, I gotta be a noob and ask stupid questions before I can learn and answer stupid questions later

·
Registered
925 Posts
Ours has some pounding-rattle noise over large bumps and off-road. I think it may be the coolant overflow bottle.

Either way. In my experience directions do not mean much if you are hunting for noises. Sometimes culprits turn out to be opposite from where the sound appears to come from.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will certainly check them. that's for sure. Just as soon as I google what they are. :)
Thank you for pointing me to something to look at.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Lots of possibilities, but start by testing the easy stuff: Tie rod and drag link ends.

Have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you look at each end for play. I also grabbed each one to feel what I might not be able to see. In my case, I had a bad drag link end. A new Moog replacement was inexpensive, and had a zerk fitting for greasing, while the factory ones are sealed. Noise gone for a long time.

Later on, during an alignment, three of my four ball joints turned out to be bad (at only 60k mi - this is on a stock JKU Sahara, that’s sadly only ever seen the occasional gravel road). Had all four replaced with new, greasable units. Now it’s nice and solid, even better than when new.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a rattle coming from the front passenger side too. I figured out that it is the seat. If someone is sitting there, the rattle goes away. If the seat is empty and I put a little pressure on the seatback, it goes away. You might try that too just in case it is not underneath. I just can't figure out how to fix it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Crazy as this sounds......I went insane over a few weeks in early summer trying to diagnose a rattle in the front passenger side of suspension. Re-torqued all bolts....lubed bushings....still rattled. I would have guessed that there was 110 percent chance that it was in the front suspension..Then one day I was vacuuming the front passenger carpeting......wiped down interior and get to the front passenger door panel....look right at the net pocket and see the bottle of antibacterial gel. Remove bottle. Rattle gone forever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so taking some advice here, I went under and started checking parts. Everything felt solid and was tight. Oddly, as I went to get out, I grabbed the axle to pull myself and... clank clank clank.. woah! where? That was the question. I started shaking the jeep like a salt shaker and, I found it. Kind of. So, I know its coming from the wheel. Or, the part of the axle there behind the rotor. Where the end links or whatver all attach. The big metal part that rusts? It kinda sounds like, if I had a pen in my hand and i tapped the metal with it. I have no clue what it actually is. Does that help anyone solve the mystery? I have Scoobie snacks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As i I sit here and think about it, I feel like I should throw a BUT in there. Cause, there's always a but.

I only think this is it. I however, can neither replicate the clanking sound at 25mph as it sits in park in my driveway, nor can I duct tape one of my kids to the fender to listen as I drive.

·
Registered
736 Posts
ive seen loose brake shoes cause a rattle

·
Registered
629 Posts
Got a GoPro or similar? If so find a place to temporarily mount it where you think it's coming from and record while driving.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have some noise from passenger side going over bumps , it turns out to be a large wire connector under glove box. Need to figure out some sort of foam pad for it.
To access it had to remove the glove box its on the right side above door strap bracket.

Tip: Furniture pads from Ikea works perfect on expansion bottle.
It fits snug and doesn't wiggle.

·
Registered
736 Posts
try dragging your brakes when going over an area that causes rattling...
if the rattling stops ,,its the brake shoes

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
First things to check, in my opinion, are sway bar links, and shock mounts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I actually had done that. It still made the noise. Oddly I found another noise doing that. The break pedal squeaks. Like in the way a shoe would sound if you slowly rubbed into the rubber cover. But, it's not the cover. 🤷 Anyway, I think I found it but I'm having a hard time making it stop. It's super simple. It was just hiding from me. The break line was free balling it, so to speak. The metal bracket on it to screw it to something was clanging. Maybe cause of the lift but, the previous owner removed whatever it screwed to. So I zip tied it twice but it somehow keeps finding a way to clang into something

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Or maybe I just thought it was that but it isn't. I'm in Cali so I can't play with it again until next Sunday.

·
Registered
2015 JKU Willys Wrangler
243 Posts
I have a rattle inside the dash on the driver's side that usually makes its presence known when I'm at a light or something. I had the dash pulled on Sunday because I was trying to fix an intermittently working head unit but couldn't see anything obvious for the rattle.

It rattles enough that I feel like Jack Torrance when he was swinging an axe at Dick Halloran in The Shining.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Jeep rattle

I know it sounds silly, but I had that once. My son opened the glove box and removed the tire key, and the rattle went away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts