Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help to narrow this down. I think it is just a coincidence that it started after the brake job. I ended up replacing the caliper too because the piston had chunks missing from it. It's a good thing I did because when I took it apart to put the new one on only part of the piston was pushing out at an angle causing only part of the pad to make contact.

Anyway, the rattle is during up and down movement. Pushing the brakes doesnt have an effect either. Turing the wheels doesn't make it happen. I replaced the joints about 6 months or so ago with Spicer, so I'd be surprised if that's what it is.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe ball joints from what I have been reading. I guess I'll attack those after I get my sway bar links in and see what happens.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Changed out the brake pads for another set of high quality and still a rattle there. Just updating this thread with what I've tried in case anyone else has this issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, the new pads came with clips and I put them on. The shield looked fine. Starting to wonder if it is even brake related. It doesn't stop when I apply the brakes. The only reason I thought it could be an issue is because it all started after I changed the pads the first time. Everything else looks fine to me though so not sure what else to check.

It also doesn't seem to start happening until it has been rolling for at least 5 to 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I had a rattle I thought due to dust shields, so I changed them out. Ended up being the heat shield in the far rear. rusted out around the screws and was loose. My rattle seemed to occur at certain RPMs vs up and down, but you might want to check your heat shields and maybe your exhaust mounts. Mine didn't rattle, but would clank/clang over bumps when the rearmost mount had rusted out and the exhaust pipe would hit something.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool...ill check that stuff out this weekend. I feel like I almost need to mount a camera under there to figure this out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took the front drive shaft off because I believed I had the "angry sparrows". Looks like that was not only the cause of the squeak but also the cause of the rattle.

Don't hear it at all with it off.

·
Commercial Member
7,885 Posts
Question is...is there any benefit to buying a Adams driveshaft for the front or just rebuild the old one?
The front shaft is already a double cardan, so if you have a local driveline shop (bypass the 4x4 shop if you can) just have them rebuild the factory one with Spicer components. (Or rebuild yourself)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah looks like something I think I could do for about $120. Just didn't know if the Adams would be better in the long run. Thought I read somewhere that having one built to measurements would be better also since I have a 3 inch lift.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts