Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2013 Jeep Rubicon with a hardtop. My wife and I love it. Within the last couple of days, we have noticed a rattle behind the dash when starting from a complete stop. We have the 5 speed automatic and the 430N GPS. I was thinking that maybe the wiring harness for the 430N needs to be zip tied tighter or something. Anyone having a similar issue or know of a fix? Is this a warranty issue? We have only owned the jeep for two weeks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've got the same buzzing/rattling sound, 2013 JKR with 430N. Only happens maybe 10-20% of the time, and usually only in a certain RPM range in 1st-3rd gears (mine's a manual).

Haven't figured it out yet myself, but it isn't loud enough or often enough for me to even isolate where it's coming from.

Doesn't seem like the buzz in mine is coming from behind the glovebox like in the thread linked above, but I'm going to check it out tonight either way.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the fix from the link this morning. Worked great! Thank you. I wrapped both aluminum pipes with 3/4 high temp heater hose and then zip tied everything once I tested it out. Thank you again for all the help. "Rfortune, mine did sound like it was the glove box, I thought it was the Nav having a loose connection." But, once I got in there, I could totally tell it was the pipes."

·
Registered
224 Posts
You may also want to check the sun visors and make sure they aren't what is rattling. I drove myself nuts looking for the rattle then it clicked!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I finally pulled my glove box last night. The heater lines had at least 1/2" of separation so that didn't seem to be the cause.

However, the plastic passenger side floor vent duct was laying loose. I pushed it back in toward the center of the console and though it didn't click into place it did seem to tighten up. No rattle this morning.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to hear. If the rattle comes back, you may want to find a better way to secure the vent duct. Especially is the vent doesn't clip into place. Good luck!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've had this same rattle for quite some time now. Sounds like its coming from behind the center of the dash, but only when its cold. After the jeep warms up after about 3-5 mins it goes away. I pulled the glove compartment and there was about 1/2" of space between the heater lines so I assumed that wasn't the issue. After checking skid plates, heat shields on the exhaust, the cowl panel, and just about everything else, I stuffed some pipe insulation between the hoses as the posted link suggested. Did this yesterday. This a.m. it was 20 degrees here and no rattle. Problem solved! Thanks for the post and suggestions and the fix. No more annoying rattle...woohoo!

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2015 had a rattle behind the dash radio area since it had 800 miles on it. I took to dealer claimed they could not duplicate, said they took the dash apart couldn't find anything wrong. I checked the forum and found this thread figured I would give it a try.

I did the rubber between the two pipes, put a foam block between the glove box/dash frame and the plastic air vent that comes down next to the right side of the dash radio area (it seemed loose), then put a rubber tube around the shifter cable where it goes under the dash. Took all of 10 minutes to do all three, and have not had any more rattle noise since.

Thanks to this forum I don't have to deal with the dealer and this issue again.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Interesting, but my rattle seems to be coming from below the steering wheel and seems to be road/trail bump related

Anybody.............anybody?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting, but my rattle seems to be coming from below the steering wheel and seems to be road/trail bump related

Anybody.............anybody?

It's your break pedal shifting back and forth. Mine was doing it and sounded like the dash was coming apart. I bungied the pedal rod to a bracket to take the slack out of it. No more "rattle" when going over bumps.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I finally pulled my glove box last night. The heater lines had at least 1/2" of separation so that didn't seem to be the cause.

However, the plastic passenger side floor vent duct was laying loose. I pushed it back in toward the center of the console and though it didn't click into place it did seem to tighten up. No rattle this morning.

I had an annoying rattle coming from the center of my dash that I couldn't figure out. I pulled the glovebox... Looked at the heater lines. Did the heater hose trick. Still no fix. I ended up pulling everything I could out of the dash and shifter cover. I ended up finding a penny rattling around the shifter area. No rattle for three days now.

A freaking penny....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts