Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 1991 yj 2.4L. There was a rattle near the transfer case area (it seems). The rattle disappeared two weeks ago and returned today. It happens when pressing clutch and when getting on and off gas pedal. Once in gear and on gas there is no rattle. Everything under Jeep seems tight. Any thoughts on whe to start?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I guess would be transfer case chain rattle. Loaded on or off the gas it slacks one side up and causes the rattle. Cant guess on the clutch in part. Im sure others will chime in and throw out some ideas. Make sure all of the shift linkage is tight, park it with an unloaded drive line and check the U joints, yoke at the diff, and slip joint for looseness. Sounds can travel and make you crazy trying to fond them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can the transfer case drive chain rotate and knock against the housing while the clutch is pressed? I am almost certain this where my noise is coming from. I plan on taking transfer case off tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts