Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new member and appreciate the opportunity to post.

My black 2 dr Sahara is a 2014 and up till now has been a great buy and very enjoyable vehicle. It is still in warranty but I have not taken it in for this problem yet but probably will since I have spent the last 3 months trying to fix myself.

I know all jeeps have some rattling but this one makes me want to trade this thing in! It is incessant and nerve racking. Radio at full blast helps but hey---I should not have to have the radio on to enjoy my jeep.

The rattle seems to be coming from the "B" pillar/door area. It happens going over (mostly) small bumps/road unevenness. I have done extensive research on this and have tried the tape over striker thin-gee to no avail. I greased the lock mechanism and still a waste of time.

With the door open slightly while driving---the noise still sounds so the door mechanism is probably not the culprit!

I checked the surrounding plastic but have not taken anything apart yet in hopes of some ideas herein. It is def. an inside noise. I will be taking the rear seat out to see if maybe that is it.

Any help/ideas are appreciated---peace (I hope) all

·
JEEP OUT
19,722 Posts
Check these three things out, back glass nuts loose on lift hinge, wiring/washer connections to hard top rear, and last. hard top bolts to rail, makes sure none are loose. Good luck and post if you find the culprit. good luck.

·
Modern Day Warrior
1,071 Posts
I am a new member and appreciate the opportunity to post.

Any help/ideas are appreciated---peace (I hope) all
Do you have a hardtop on your jeep right now? I was chasing a similar rattle over my left should while driving. It was driving me nuts and getting progressively worse. It would stop if I wedged my hand between the roll/sound bar and the hardtop. Finally, I took the drivers side freedom top off and found that the screw that bolts the hardtop to the rollbar was extremely loose. Tightened it down and no more rattle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the same rattle on my 2016 2 door soft top. Haven't traced it down yet but if you find it would love to know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Try moving the door striker inward toward the middle of the jeep, then tighten. This cured my B pillow rattle.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
The clunking sound comes from the door striker. There is some type of expensive grease, Dupont Krytex, used to stop the clunking that can be bought from the dealer but people have had success with white lithium grease as well. There was a TSB in '08-'09 about this.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/clunk-in-2012-jku-205390.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys:

I don't think it is the striker. I tried the tape thing but have not tried to move the striker. BUT---I did drive with the door open slightly and still heard the rattle so since the lock was not engaged---don't think it is the latch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dabolt55:

Could you pls explain:

"back glass nuts loose on lift hinge"__would this sound like it is comong from the B pillar and where are these?

And theses rear hard top bolts---I will def. check but again---would these sound like the B pillar?

Thx my friend for your input

1 - 9 of 9 Posts