Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this rattle noise while Jeep is at idle with the HVAC system on. The rattle comes and goes as the compressor kicks in and out. I haven't really looked into it because I figured it was either an idler pulley or bearings on the compressor itself.

Today, I was sitting at a long light and when the rattle appeared I push the stick shift toward second gear (6-speed manual). That was with the clutch engaged and not in actual gear, but at the start of the gear. By doing that to any gear the noise goes away. If the stick is left untouched in neutral, the rattle is heard when the AC kicks on.

I'm going to have to find what's rattling under there, but would like to know if others have already gone through the same thing and know what is causing the rattle. I'm assuming the rattle is always there, but it is aggravated by the compressor's load.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It definitely makes sense that the compressor would aggravate whatever is causing the rattle. Is there a location that you can pinpoint the sound? Maybe right under the shifter or is it a little deeper closer to the clutch and transmission?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It definitely makes sense that the compressor would aggravate whatever is causing the rattle. Is there a location that you can pinpoint the sound? Maybe right under the shifter or is it a little deeper closer to the clutch and transmission?
It sounds like engine bay, that's why I though it was a pulley. I'm going to have to get a helper to help me find it. I used to have a tiny rattle while the stick was on third, but that one went away.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It sounds like engine bay, that's why I though it was a pulley. I'm going to have to get a helper to help me find it. I used to have a tiny rattle while the stick was on third, but that one went away.
ok keep the thread updated so someone can hopefully help you out!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If your jeep is pre 2012, it might be the heat shield on the crossover exhaust pipe. The extra engine load and vibration from the compressor might get the shield rattling.
U won't be able to see the crack in the weld. 2 hose clamps will do the trick if that's the problem.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Try pulling out your glovebox (pops right out by pulling in on the sides toward the back IIRC). There are 2 metal lines (part of the ac system) that can vibrate against each other. The fix is as simple as putting something between them. This could be the easiest thing to try first. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Try pulling out your glovebox (pops right out by pulling in on the sides toward the back IIRC). There are 2 metal lines (part of the ac system) that can vibrate against each other. The fix is as simple as putting something between them. This could be the easiest thing to try first. Good luck!
Thanks for the post. I read about that rattle on another post, but haven't checked it since the rattle doesn't seem to be coming from the inside. Going to check it and put something between the lines either way. Tnx.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Since the stickshift is directly connected to the transmission, all you're doing is dampening the engine vibration that is causing the rattle. It doesn't really pinpoint where it's coming from. Does it sound like a heatshield. They actually replaced the right side exhaust pipe on mine because of a tinny rattle (loose heatshield).

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since the stickshift is directly connected to the transmission, all you're doing is dampening the engine vibration that is causing the rattle. It doesn't really pinpoint where it's coming from. Does it sound like a heatshield. They actually replaced the right side exhaust pipe on mine because of a tinny rattle (loose heatshield).
At this point I'm speculating until I can get underneath and start looking for it. It does sound like a bad a bad throw-out bearing. Problem is that it isn't related to the clutch since it doesn't change with the clutch engaged or disengaged.

I can make it go away by starting to put the shift lever into any gear. I really hope it is not internal, but I can't figure out why it goes away while the stick starts to push the gear. It's not the shift lever since it will not go away by putting my hand on it.

The rattle is not that loud, but I can really hear it when I'm in a drive-thru bouncing off of the wall.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are the pipes you are talking about. I can see how they could rattle since they are very close to each other but not pressed against. I inserted some tubing as a precaution, but I don't see how that was causing my rattle. Once I drive it, I'll repost if indeed it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KfKLCeY1Fg

this is what the heat shield sounds like when it's loose.
I'd have to get under and listen, but that one sounds more like it's engine related. Mine sounds more like tranny related and not as pingy. I haven't driven it in a while since it's currently "salt life" out there. It's suposed to warm up this weekend to the 40s so it will be a good time to t-shoot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wanted to bump this thread back up and see if anyone found this issue. I have the same problem on my 2015 JKU (but I have an auto). When I am in drive and the AC is on the issue becomes louder, if I push it into neutral the sound goes away. If anyone has fixed this I would love some info.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm not sure this will help, but I just found a source of my rattle which has been bugging me for weeks, didn't want to take it to the dealer as they take hours.

It was my license plate frame. Unscrewed the 2 screws and drove around. Bliss

I going to put some rubber behind so the license plate itself won't rattle either, just for good measure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts