Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason I get a quite loud rattle that lasts for about a second somewhere in front of me when I clutch-in at anything above 3.5k RPM. Anyone know what this might be? :confused:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did you ever find anything? I seem to have something similar. Sporadically I hear a rattle or tinny sounding clink that happens when I push in the clutch when at a higher rpm... only for a second. I also hear what sounds like the same sound if I hit a hard bump. (2011 sahara)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd think at 7K miles it shouldn't be the throwout bearing, however:

Is the clutch pedal in proper adjustment? There should be free play at the top of the pedal. On mine there's about 2 inches.

Don't take this wrong, but you're not riding the clutch pedal, are you? if you're resting your foot on the pedal even a little bit, it will push the throwout bearing against the pressure plate fingers causing it the spin. Again, I'm not accusing you of not knowing how to use a clutch, just trying to help diagnose.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
no problems.. thanks for the attempt to help...
I don't ride the clutch or rest my foot on it or anything.
It seems to be in proper alignment. I'm making a trip up to the dealership for an oil change soon so I'll have them take a look at everything. I was just fishing for ideas before then...

I'd think at 7K miles it shouldn't be the throwout bearing, however:

Is the clutch pedal in proper adjustment? There should be free play at the top of the pedal. On mine there's about 2 inches.

Don't take this wrong, but you're not riding the clutch pedal, are you? if you're resting your foot on the pedal even a little bit, it will push the throwout bearing against the pressure plate fingers causing it the spin. Again, I'm not accusing you of not knowing how to use a clutch, just trying to help diagnose.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
FYI... I finally found where that damn noise was coming from. I was going crackers trying to find it, but was knocking around in the engine compartment and came across it.

Turns out it was the clutch cable hitting the heat shield on the firewall. I just bent the corner of the shield back a slight bit to clear where the cable runs. Now everything is quite! ...as quiet a jeep gets.. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts