Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn my jeep off without the clutch pressed in makes a loud rattle/knocking sound. However, when I press the clutch in and turn it off it doesn't rattle or knock at all. I have a 2001 TJ 5 speed 6 cylinder. It has approximately 85000 miles and as far as I know the original clutch. How serious is the issue? I still drives great and does nor rattle/knock at any other times? I am taking a break from writing my thesis to post this so any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I need to get this resolved before defending and moving back to Fredericksburg. thanks in advance. Heres a pic since no one will look at the thread without it :)

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
Mine does the same damn thing. I'm thinking its throw out bearing but anxious to see what answers you get.

·
Registered
948 Posts
That sound is notorious to the 5 speed trans (NV3550). Everyone I know, including me who has a 5 speed has that exact same sound. The NV3550 is just a loud gearbox and the throwout bearing is just loud. That sound is nothing to worry about. You could try to fix it but chances are it will end up making the same noise soon but wouldn't try to fix anything the NV3550 unless there is grinding noise or anything when shifting.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
There is NOTHING wrong and is NOT your throw out bearing. Your throw out bearing only spins when the clutch petal is depressed.

Now, OP, you also notice you get kind of a rattle when you're idling with with clutch out? It's just the noise of the clutch spinning. Same thing when you're shutting it off, it's just a little violent because of the abrupt stop.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No there's no rattle at any times except when it shuts off. Seems a bit loud/ violent to be normal but I'm no expert. I am familiar with the usual noises that the transmission makes and from what I read this isn't the usual marble sound

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
No there's no rattle at any times except when it shuts off. Seems a bit loud/ violent to be normal but I'm no expert. I am familiar with the usual noises that the transmission makes and from what I read this isn't the usual marble sound
If it doesn't rattle when it's idling, you've got a damn wired clutch. *scratches head*

All manual transmissions make a rattle noise when idling with the clutch out. Haha

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean there's a little chatter but the noise I'm describing when it shuts off sounds like loud metal banging or knocking together.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I mean there's a little chatter but the noise I'm describing when it shuts off sounds like loud metal banging or knocking together.
Can you feel the banging or knocking? Or is it just sound?

I still am under the impression it's normal. Lol

·
Registered
121 Posts
May not be but get under the jeep and hit the side of the catalytic converter hard with the palm of your hand and see if it rattles. I have had this happen before on several jeeps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 98 4.0 does the same thing on shut down. I shut it down with the clutch in most of the time if I remember so that noise doesn't happen. I figured it was the throwout bearing??

·
Registered
452 Posts
mine does same thing
I just keep clutch in when I shut off so I don't gotta deal

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
There is NOTHING wrong and is NOT your throw out bearing. Your throw out bearing only spins when the clutch petal is depressed.

Now, OP, you also notice you get kind of a rattle when you're idling with with clutch out? It's just the noise of the clutch spinning. Same thing when you're shutting it off, it's just a little violent because of the abrupt stop.
Thank you for this information. I opened this thread cuz my makes a helluva racket on shut-off. And minor racket when in nuetral + foot off clutch. Good to see it's normalish.

OP, hope you get your issue resolved. Your TJ looks great, what top do you have on her?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks and its the rampage frameless. The quality isn't the best but the price was pretty cheap. Guess just keep clutch pressed in on shutoff and not worry bout it. It does sound like metal banging so rattle may not have been the most appropriate term

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Thanks and its the rampage frameless. The quality isn't the best but the price was pretty cheap. Guess just keep clutch pressed in on shutoff and not worry bout it. It does sound like metal banging so rattle may not have been the most appropriate term
Well, think about it. Your jeep runs right? Nothing wrong with the clutch when driving? Then you have nothing to worry about. The clutch spins when you idle, and any time you're driving. The exact same thing is happening on shut off. Lol just thought about that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts