Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has been going on for a while now.
when shifting from first to second there is a rattling sound from under the center console, and again from second to third but not as noticeable.
mostly it happens when starting up a hill and is not present going down hill.

Any ideas of what this could be?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Have you checked fluid levels in your transfer case and transmission?

·
Supporting jeeper!
3,867 Posts
HarryJeepGuy said:
Transfer case shifter linkage.
Correct! It's the brass bearing/bushing attached to the body bracket that rattles. Mine is currently doing the same thing. I forget the part number from mopar but it's around $6 for the piece

·
Registered
6 Posts
Could be tranny mount if it sounds like your 4wd lever is buckling in the floor boards, is there vibration? There comin to fail, put a bar on your tranny and see if she wiggles. If it is it can take out your pas. side engine mount. go poly!

·
Registered
785 Posts
i recently had the same problem with a rattle at certian rpms and shifting, mine wound up being the cat was bad. the core was busted and rattling. easy to fix either cut behind cat about 2-3 inchs. grab long metal bar or long screwdriver and break up what is left of internals of cat and remove all that is loose. get a exhaust band clamp and reattach the cut exahust with exhaust band clamp. hope this helps...:popcorn:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts