Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
04 TJ 5 speed, when I pull out in second gear I get a loud rattle from under my seat area. I'm guessing something is lose and that's were the rattle is coming from. I would like to try and fix this myself, I'm no mechanic and have a limited knowledge on what parts are what. Any help or ideas on how to stop the rattle would be great....pics will help as well.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'm pretty sure I know what's going on, but first a couple of questions:
When you say pull out, do you mean starting from a dead stop?
Does it rattle in 1st gear?
Can you re-create the rattle by starting in 1st gear but using less throttle (almost letting it stall)?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Most likely by the sounds of it. And I am sure that what he was getting at as well.
I was thinking, if it rattled when starting from 2nd but didn't rattle in 1st, that lugging down the transmission was causing it to "shudder" as it was trying to fully engage...
I was going to suggest re-programming the id-10-t (located behind the steering wheel) to only use 1st gear from a dead stop :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
That is not a throw out bearing noise. That is the clutch damper. You need a new clutch disk. The damper components are part of the clutch disk. While the transmission is pulled back, I would replace the throw out bearing as well. Throwout bearings make grinding sounds when the pedal is pressed independent of whether or not the transmission is in gear.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Your right it isn't the throw out beating and it sounds like gears clashing now that I actually here the noise it's making.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts