Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't decide. I ordered ace tube fenders and have their rock rails and plan on getting their rear bumper so I kinda want it to all be close to the same black and texture. I'm not super picky about matching I just don't want the bumper to stick out if I rattle can it.

Also I'm curious to anyone who has rattled theirs how did it hold up? I've tossed around the bedlined idea a bit as well.

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
Rust o leum, then when you scratch it, bump it, dent it - well maybe not the dent. You can match it and fix it really quickly.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You should look into a product called KG Gun Kote. I just did my muffler with that and it turned out amazing! It was developed for the heavily abused weapons of the Navy Seals but it is great in automotive applications, too.

According to their website it is corrosion and abrasion resistant, is highly protective against rust, and can be bent/dented to 180 degrees without cracking, peeling or flaking. And once you cure it there is apparently no known chemical that will take it off. (Sandblasting still will if you need to.)

It's super easy to use - just buy a $20 airbrush off Amazon or wherever. It's very forgiving in the way of striping when you're spraying it and looks great once it's done. They've got seven or eight shades of black as well as a few other colors to choose from.

Honestly if I had it to do all over again I would have done my skid plates and everything else with this stuff as well, rather than the powder coating I went with. The only problem would be finding an oven in which to cure the parts you coat.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Well ask yourself are you going to wheel it HARD? Like me I was asking the same question a few weeks ago to myself then it hit me how do I wheel? ME o look at that BIG ASS rock lets go try to crawl it. get off the rock slam the bumper on the rock scratch the bumper and get home to spray on fresh paint.. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should look into a product called KG Gun Kote. I just did my muffler with that and it turned out amazing! It was developed for the heavily abused weapons of the Navy Seals but it is great in automotive applications, too.

According to their website it is corrosion and abrasion resistant, is highly protective against rust, and can be bent/dented to 180 degrees without cracking, peeling or flaking. And once you cure it there is apparently no known chemical that will take it off. (Sandblasting still will if you need to.)

It's super easy to use - just buy a $20 airbrush off Amazon or wherever. It's very forgiving in the way of striping when you're spraying it and looks great once it's done. They've got seven or eight shades of black as well as a few other colors to choose from.

Honestly if I had it to do all over again I would have done my skid plates and everything else with this stuff as well, rather than the powder coating I went with. The only problem would be finding an oven in which to cure the parts you coat.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt that stuff need baked on like a powdercoat?

Also ****** I was thinking about that too. I'm going to try and find a paint thats close to the color and texture of the ace stuff and spray it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt that stuff need baked on like a powdercoat?

Also ****** I was thinking about that too. I'm going to try and find a paint thats close to the color and texture of the ace stuff and spray it.
Yeah that's the one downfall. That's why I mentioned needing to find an oven to cure it in but it's well worth it if you can. Luckily for the muffler it was easy... just spray it and then run the engine for a couple hours. They do make an air dry formula but I don't know if that is as durable.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I had mine powdercoated, but the powdercoat is mathced by a particular brand of spray paint as well. So touch up are still no problem...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just finished rattle canning my PSC front bumper and skid plate. I had my PSC rear bumper PC'ed, it's holding up pretty well, but definitely showing some wear from wheeling.

For the front bumper, I started off with Rustoleum Textured black, but had issues with it being splotchy. So I redid it with Duplicolor Truck Bed Coating. My buddy used the same thing with his PSC fenders and JCR bumper/skid and had great results.

Overall, I'm very happy with the duplicolor. The great thing about a rattlecan job is you can respray any trail damage (as many people already mentioned). It's much cheaper than PC. And it's a pretty easy process, just take your time and do a good job prepping the bumper.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Look at my recent thread on the same thing. My rattle can job still holding up great!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts