Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rangers Lead The Way!
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got an '07 JKU Rubi that has been making a noise recently.

Manual transmission - between 2500-3000 RPMs, right before I shift there seems to be a slight rattling sound. Transmission or clutch? Anyone come across it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
probably rusted thru exhaust heat shield welds. Look at the heat shield in the engine bay on drivers side and see if welds have come loose. Also, go under the jeep and look at the heatshield on the crossover pipe. Mine was rattling the same and I put a 2.5" exhaust clamp on it and it stopped. There are 6 spot welds on the cross over pipe that rust thru and is more than likely your rattle.

It won't let me post a pic, but look at this and you will see the spot welds I'm talking about.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/vibration-rattle-under-acceleration-07-jku-180588/&ei=ywtVVfmhCYz_yQSNyIHABw&bvm=bv.93112503,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNGAxFXoSGHWaTaBDtQwIp009DW0BQ&ust=1431723331376839

·
Rangers Lead The Way!
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks man. A clamp is the best way to fix it, if that's the issue?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ha!

I personally wouldn't with it being that close to tranny and cross member. The easiest would be to take to a muffler shop to have welded (assuming money isn't an issue). If money is an issue, then an exhaust clamp is best to maintain integrity of the heat shield. I don't know what a muffler shop would charge though.

·
Rangers Lead The Way!
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the heat shield .. it looks like everything is fine with the welds.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Looking at the heat shield .. it looks like everything is fine with the welds.

Any other ideas?
Mine did too. Pry up a little with flat head at each weld. The heat shield in engine bay also breaks spot welds. Tap on all of the heat shields with handle of screwdriver. Youll hear where its loose. The cross over pipe where the welds were were still together like normal until i pulled up on heat shield and I could see the breaks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts