Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2011 6speed jk and have been hearing some rattling coming from the transmission when accelerating or when stopped in neutral. I have an appointment Thursday with the dealer since its under warranty still. Just wondering if any one else has had this problem?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
My 2010 6 speed has a rattle at cruising speeds or around 1500-2000 rpm. I'm thinking its drivetrain too. I've checked the skids, heat shields and exhaust and everything seems good there.

Keep me updated because I'm NOT under warranty.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Supercop260 said:
My 2010 6 speed has a rattle at cruising speeds or around 1500-2000 rpm. I'm thinking its drivetrain too. I've checked the skids, heat shields and exhaust and everything seems good there.

Keep me updated because I'm NOT under warranty.
Ill post an update Thursday when I'm done

·
Registered
400 Posts
Look at the post called "2012 JKU gear rattle". And DO NOT let Chrysler tell you it's that stupid ass neutral rollover....they're full of sheet.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so took the jeep to the dealer today and they called me back saying that the rattling was caused by somepart that was loose in the shifter? anyways theyre ordering a new complete shifter kit and theyre gonna instll it by the end of the weekend.. just thought id let u guys know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your rattle is a bit different than mine. Mine happened under load in 3 or 4th gear around 70km/h. They replaced my whole tranny. Said it was possibly a bad bearing, something from the factory that wasn't done just right.

·
Registered
765 Posts
mine rattles in neutral.. at times... kinda sounds like someone is under the rig ratteling a wooden box of bolts... hmmm... might have the dealer check it out next oil change

·
Registered
33 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but are you sure it's coming from the transmission? The JK is rather infamous for a hard-to-diagnose rattle from the heat shields on the exhaust pipe. Sounds almost like engine knock but not quite, and it sounds like it's coming from the transmission because the heat shield in question is right below the transmission. The problem is the welds on that heat shield break loose in an almost imperceptible way - you can't tell they're loose, but they rattle like crazy under acceleration or engine rev. The fix is to tighten the heat shield down with hose clamps.

This is just a thought, in case yours turns out not to be the trans.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeff Loughlin said:
Maybe a dumb question, but are you sure it's coming from the transmission? The JK is rather infamous for a hard-to-diagnose rattle from the heat shields on the exhaust pipe. Sounds almost like engine knock but not quite, and it sounds like it's coming from the transmission because the heat shield in question is right below the transmission. The problem is the welds on that heat shield break loose in an almost imperceptible way - you can't tell they're loose, but they rattle like crazy under acceleration or engine rev. The fix is to tighten the heat shield down with hose clamps.

This is just a thought, in case yours turns out not to be the trans.
It goes In on Monday. Ill let u know if its fixed. Thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
mine rattles in neutral.. at times... kinda sounds like someone is under the rig ratteling a wooden box of bolts... hmmm... might have the dealer check it out next oil change
Does the rattle stop when you slightly depress the clutch? Mine had a rattling noise after it had warmed up. Super quiet when first started. Noise progressively got louder the longer i ran it. The clutch still felt smooth although it was noisy. The dealer installed a new clutch kit; clutch plate, throw out bearing (whatever is all included in the clutch kit). It has been quiet since, 2k miles ago. I know the clutch kit is not covered by the drive train warranty but it was a used, new to me jk, only had the jk for a week so they covered it. $785.00 worth. The jk has 70k miles on it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rgaba said:
Does the rattle stop when you slightly depress the clutch? Mine had a rattling noise after it had warmed up. Super quiet when first started. Noise progressively got louder the longer i ran it. The clutch still felt smooth although it was noisy. The dealer installed a new clutch kit; clutch plate, throw out bearing (whatever is all included in the clutch kit). It has been quiet since, 2k miles ago. I know the clutch kit is not covered by the drive train warranty but it was a used, new to me jk, only had the jk for a week so they covered it. $785.00 worth. The jk has 70k miles on it.
This is what getting done to mine Monday. Hope it works

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rgaba said:
Same symptoms as the ones I was having? How many miles on your JK? I'm sure that will take care of it, best of luck!
It's only got about 17000. Rattles on acceleration and in neutral. Not when clutch is Down

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
You know that low idle rattle you get when you accelerate from a stop in 3rd gear? It's like that...but under normal acceleration halfway through the rpm band before shifting to the next gear.

I'm still convinced its a heat shield.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
WatchThis! said:
Why would you want to take off in third? Lugging the motor all the time is rough on the bottom end.
Didn't say I actually do that, I'm describing the type of noise I'm getting at midrange rpm's is similar to "lugging the motor".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey all, just got a 2011 JKUR a few days ago. My tranny also has a rattking, but it occurs in 4L after shifting to 2nd. when I let off the accelerator. a very metallic clanking. In the dealership right now. I'll keep you all posted as to what the dealership has to say.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts