Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Passenger side, towards the front happens every time I am turning left and hit a bump. Sometimes going straight on big bumps. Started last week. Installed a suspension lift over the weekend, didn't change it. New shocks, springs, sway bar links, track bar, and steering linkage. Crawled under the jeep today and went front to back on both sides trying to shake everything I could reach. Nothing loose. Jacked the front axle up and tried to wiggle the tires top to bottom and front to back, solid. Turned full lock left and saw no steering linkage touching. Disconnected front sway bar and still rattled. Got a torque wrench on transfer case skid, all good. New tranny mount and motor mounts (lift). Torqued body mounts down too. Checked shock bolts too. Not the back seat or the front seat either or anything in the glovebox. Stumped. Any ideas would be much appreciated!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=addKsvQMMRM

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I had a similar sound on my previous truck and it was the front shock. The mounting bolt had come loose. You say yours are tight but I would double check, I couldnt move mine by hand, but when a 7000lb vehicle makes a dip, the shock would definitely move. I would also try and do a dry steering test, and make sure you cant find anything loose up front.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
When mine sounded like that, it was two things. I had a broken weld at the muffler and also the exhaust was rattling against the skid plate. Also check the clearance between the exhaust and the right rear shock.

The other thing to check is your front axle u-joints, but it sounds like something is hitting the chassis, so that is why I think it might be exhaust related.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I've retorqued the shock bolts and tightened the upper mount. Also checked the exhaust and it's really snug, hardly no movement. But I'll reexamine it. I think I'm going to take it by a Jeep shop today and see if they can figure it out.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
anti-sway bar hitting the frame?; Clutch pedal bell crank linkage rattling under the dash? Passenger side sun visor not fully clipped in?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed! I had new Mopar motor mounts laying around the garage (yikes they're pricey!), the Anchor brand mounts I installed last week were pretty hard and transferred some vibes, so I installed the Mopar ones this morning. No more noise!! I think either the anchor mounts allowed the motor to move side to side a bit too much or its because I torqued the bolts down on one side of the mount before I did the other side when I installed them last time. The instructions in my lift say not to torque the bolts down til both sides are installed, but I didn't wait the last time. I did today. So either the mounts or the torquing too early did it. Anyway, it's fixed and I'm happy. Thanks for all the help everybody!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have same problem tomorrow i am gunna get some motor mounts an let every one know if that was my problem too.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Motor mount block interference SOLVED

Been meaning to post an update about this for over a year! Anyway, the problem wasn't actually fixed, was just less likely to happen. Its totally fixed now. Was the head of one of the motor mount bracket bolts hitting the new motor mount lift block on the passenger side. If you look at the frame pad, or mount, that the motor mount sits on- the end of it, that faces the engine, is diagonal rather than square like the motor mount lift block. I finally saw this interference was happening, so I removed the mount block on that side and cut the end of it down to match the frame pad. Strange that manufacturers of motor mount lift blocks don't make one specifically for the passenger side to clear that bolt head. This solved my problem completely and I would suggest anyone who's installing a motor mount lift like this to do this before installation. Pics below:

Here you can see the motor mount frame pad (as I'm calling it) and the bolt head that was rubbing the lift block. This pic has the motor mount and the lift block removed. Notice the end of the frame pad is diagonal to clear the aforementioned bolt.

Mount block with the end cut to match frame pad.

Mount lift block and motor mount reinstalled with lots more clearance.

Piece I cut off the mount block. You can see where the bolt head was rubbing it when the motor leaned towards the passenger side on left turns and bumps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts