Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So I've got an interesting issue that I can't figure out. I have a rattling that sounds identical to what you would hear from a broken weld on a heat shield, just that rattle when you accelerate. It is not constantly present, just when I accelerate, and only within certain ranges. Making it more difficult, it also seems that it does not rattle unless I am actually moving, revving my engine while stopped does not start the rattle.

Along with that, the sound goes away entirely when it rains, which makes no sense to me.

I've gotten under my rig and and tapped on everything to try and find loose things, to no avail. I was thinking maybe there could be a rock stuck somewhere, but if so, I couldn't find it, and I figure that for the 2-3 months this has been happening, that it probably would have worked its way out.

Someone mentioned it could be a transmission issue, which is entirely out of my range of skills, but there's that.

Any thoughts out there on what might be going on and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not check the transmission mount, and I've got the stock suspension on there. I've not replaced the control arm bushings, so unless the previous owner changed them, I would assume they are stock.

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
You haven't said whether you had a manual or auto, sounds like you should be taking the skid plate off and checking your transmission mount. Make sure you support the transmission with jackstands. Start spraying your skid plate bolts with PB blaster for a week, then lower everything with a good floor jack. I would also start looking at all your control arm bushing's depending on how old your vehicle is. While you're under there might as well change your transmission and transfer case fluid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts