Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed. Only when in neutral, sometimes there is a loud vibrating/rattling sound coming from under the jeep. All I can really compare the sound to is my Dads old tractor. If I push the shifter toward a gear, the rattling stops. Its louder on some days than others, but it is always annoying. It sounds like my new jeep is falling apart, and of course of the three times I have taken it to the dealer to have it fixed they have never heard the noise. What could this be?

·
Registered
66 Posts
all my rattles like this have turned out to be some part of the exhaust vibrating against the frame rails or the skid plates. next time it does it, get out and push the exhaust tip with your shoe and see if it stops/changes. as you go into gear from neutral, the load on the engine changes and things move slightly so it doesn't rub (as much). maybe?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Any mods?

You'd have to probably pull over and crawl under there next time and try to diagnose it. Could just be a loose bracket or something.

Can you feel vibration in the shifter?

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
All of my Saharas have done this. All JKUs with 6sp. I think it is something related to why our gear shifts all shake so much. At idle in neutral the tranny can shake all it wants; once it's in gear and we are going down the road it translates to the lightest piece of the puzzle, i.e. the long flimsy shifter that's only connected at one end. I did notice on mine anyhow that it is more pronounce if I'm running A/C or defrost. Maybe the air conditioning pumps clutch puts more twist onto the motor itself...idk. I've just learned to deal with it and turn up the music so no one can hear it lol. If you actually figure something else out please share, I'm sure there are literally thousands of is scratching out heads at this one.

Joe

·
Registered
784 Posts
Maybe the throw out bearing. Does the noise go away when you press in the clutch? It's been an issue for awhile with the 6 speed. Mine started getting intermittently noisy around 25k ish. Finally failed about 5 mo ago around 60 k. Best improvement seems to be a upgrade to a National TOB. I did when I did a complete clutch replacement. So far no issues since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys. I am going into the dealer for the fourth time on the 30th with video proof of the sound. Im telling you Im not making this out to be more than it is. It really sounds like an old diesel tractor, which would be kind of cool if I were not worried something is wrong with it. I will update if something changes/I figure it out.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Im sure they'll tell you they have never heard of issues with the TOB or clutches on these. But if you do a search on JK manual trans noises and clutches you'll find a lot of info about them.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
There's a heat shield in that area that sometimes makes the sound you're describing. Maybe it's loose or touching. It's possible that it's more serious and has something to do with the trans. but you should still be under 3/36.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts