Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 97 TJ Sahara 4.0 automatic, recently the last few days a rattle under the drivers side has been coming in and out, but today it happened steadily throughout my drive home from work, feels like it's directly under my feet. It's a short and fast rattle almost ticking like, I feel it mostly when I come to a complete stop at a stop sign red light etc, and only in drive, if shifted into neutral the rattle goes away. I've been doing my research and I've come across many people saying it's the transfer case linkage as its a common problem, how can I figure out if this is truly the issue? Thanks you! This problem is driving me insane

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,414 Posts
Drop the skid and see what tool the PO left for you.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Find someone that you trust to sit in the jeep, in drive, foot on the brake. Then stick your head underneath to locate the rattle. Or, find someone you don't really care about, and have them crawl underneath.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Find someone that you trust to sit in the jeep, in drive, foot on the brake. Then stick your head underneath to locate the rattle. Or, find someone you don't really care about, and have them crawl underneath.
Im gonna have to do that, just start shaking everything in side to try and recreate it

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Does it do it at idle, or only when you're moving?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
So it shouldn't be too hard to find if you've got someone idling in drive. Hopefully.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Check to see if the boot on the linkage on the transfer case is gone or the linkage is busted. Another way to test would be to out slight upward pressure on the 4wd lever and see if it goes away. On mine the rubber is warn but still in place. Not worrying about it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My TC linkage is rattling too. What I did was to just crawl under the OllllO and move the TC linkage where it goes into the bracket on the tub. Its the same sound. If it is your linkage then you should be able to feel the vibrations on the driver side of the hump just below the TC shifter. That was a poor design. When I finally get tired of it I am going to install a shift cable instead. But right now it still shifts good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts