Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had a chance to go up to Rausch Creek with my brother and Dad for the first time. Since it was out first time we stuck primarily to the green trails and threw in a couple blue's just to feel out what they were like. I've got an LJ Rubi with the OME 2" lift on 32's and my bro has an XJ with a 3" lift on 33's. Didn't really have any trouble's on the trails with anything...until we got to trail J. Since we primarily were on the green's we stuck to them to just get around the land. We decided to take J because on the map my dad was referencing it was green...later we found out this map was printed out from the website a little over a month ago :facepalm: So we're heading down J and for those that haven't been, it's a trail on the side of the mountain, pretty much follows a small stream and is a fairly steep drop off with almost nothing to the left as you head down. So we're heading along, nothing bad until we get to a section where the stream makes a sharp left and goes down the mountain. I'm in the lead position so I'm trying to navigate this section as best I can and without anyone to watch in front I'm feeling my way through. As I approach I notice the trees clear and it's a wide open view of the valley and mountain across the way. I also notice as I approach I'm leaning more and more to the left as my right side heads up a bank. Now my left tires are on the edge, not room for much of anything, especially not a sliding rock or tire to the left or I'd go tumbling down the side of a mountain, really not what I was planning to do when I woke up that morning. So slow and steady I make it past, not without some pucker moments mind you. After we get through we radio back to my brother who's waiting cause we told him to hold back. Stack some rocks to reduce the side angle (he carries his spare on the roof making him a little more top heavy) and we get him through. Other than that the trail wasn't too bad until the end which was a little hairy for the first time, steep downgrade nothing but rocks, one way to learn how to handle sliding on rocks I guess is to just do it and get it done. Looked at the UPDATED map after and oh look...it's one long blue trail. We all made it without issue but we were all checking our pants after that small section on the side of the mountain. Moral of the story...always look at the map they give you the day you're there, not the one you print a month in advance.:nonono:

So my question from all this is would getting some disconnects for the sway bar end links help reduce some of the "Oh sh*t i'm looking straight down the side of the mountain and going to head that way soon" moment by letting the body stay more parallel or is it better to look down the side of the mountain and hope you don't it a rock on the right to send you past that point of no return and like Jill after Jack broke his crown, go tumbling down the side of a mountain?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
If your bump stops are properly set to prevent your tire from eating your fender, definitely disconnect the front sway bar.

Also, even through it feels reeeeally sketchy, most vehicles can lean over pretty far before they roll. Even top heavy 4x4s. I remember looking out my passenger window at one point during the last Rausch trip (not sure which trail) and seeing nothing but ground about 4 feet away. It wasn't even close to tipping, but i was already sliding against the center console.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Trail J has been a blue for a while more or less after the rain storms last year. RC can be a little tricky with out a guide/someone with some seat time.

As for disconnects yes they help a large amount in keeping the front tires on the ground more often.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If your bump stops are properly set to prevent your tire from eating your fender, definitely disconnect the front sway bar.

Also, even through it feels reeeeally sketchy, most vehicles can lean over pretty far before they roll. Even top heavy 4x4s. I remember looking out my passenger window at one point during the last Rausch trip (not sure which trail) and seeing nothing but ground about 4 feet away. It wasn't even close to tipping, but i was already sliding against the center console.

See that sight wouldn't really bother me, its when there's tree tops out that window that would make me nervous.

At the top of J the sign says Green so that's mostly why I chose to head down it, if we would have looked at the updated map we would have probably questioned it a little more. No loss though, just gained some wheel time in a situation probably wouldn't have done on our own otherwise.

I was looking at some quick disconnects and I've got the 2" lift like I said and I'm looking to do a 1-1.25" BL and 1" MML probably. Do I need to look at the ones that indicate they're for a 2" lift or do I need to be looking more at the 3" since I'll be moving towards 3" of total lift between the suspension and body?

Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
We had been down J trail many times in the past but about two years ago we were at Rausch in the snow and a buddy of mine decided to go down J trail in the snow. I should have known not to go down the trail because it was all fresh snow with no tracks yet. So as stupid as we are, we went down. I will never go down that trail again. I believe i have permanent marks in my seat from where my butt was grabbing it so tight.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had been down J trail many times in the past but about two years ago we were at Rausch in the snow and a buddy of mine decided to go down J trail in the snow. I should have known not to go down the trail because it was all fresh snow with no tracks yet. So as stupid as we are, we went down. I will never go down that trail again. I believe i have permanent marks in my seat from where my butt was grabbing it so tight.
Reading your this made my butt grab my office chair just trying to comprehend what that would be like in the snow now...no...not interested.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It was the most terrifying ride i have ever had in my jeep. My buddy has pics somewhere on one of his computers.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was looking at some quick disconnects and I've got the 2" lift like I said and I'm looking to do a 1-1.25" BL and 1" MML probably. Do I need to look at the ones that indicate they're for a 2" lift or do I need to be looking more at the 3" since I'll be moving towards 3" of total lift between the suspension and body?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

No need to take the body lift height into consideration when getting the disconnects. Sway bar is attached to your frame, therefore suspension geometry does not change with a body lift.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I rode J about 2 months ago and I know what you mean, I am not a big fan of off camber stuff when there is a 200ft drop off on your left :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Put up some pics. I don't remember what trail J looks like
Unfortunately I don't think we have any. I'll need to check with my brother if he has some from J if he does I'll put em up. After we got down I remember specifically thinking we should have taken pics but at the time my mind was preoccupied...I should have better priorities though.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,720 Posts
Keep in mind that for anyone new to offroading, it can seem steep enough that you're going to roll or tip over but not really be even close to that. My wife started shrieking on a VERY gentle offroad trail years ago, she was screaming at me that we were going to roll over. I stopped the Jeep and got her out to look at the Jeep where was obvious the Jeep was barely off-camber on the gentlest of angles which calmed her down, she just wasn't use to the feeling.

The more we offroad, the more we get used to such feelings so they no longer scare us until we really do get into truly precarious positions. :)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Keep in mind that for anyone new to offroading, it can seem steep enough that you're going to roll or tip over but not really be even close to that. My wife started shrieking on a VERY gentle offroad trail years ago, she was screaming at me that we were going to roll over. I stopped the Jeep and got her out to look at the Jeep where was obvious the Jeep was barely off-camber on the gentlest of angles which calmed her down, she just wasn't use to the feeling.

The more we offroad, the more we get used to such feelings so they no longer scare us until we really do get into truly precarious positions. :)
Haha my girlfriend does the same thing when I go out. But this past winter I found out that there is a huge difference from being in the drivers seat compared to the passenger seat. My girlfriend had never driven in the snow before (just got her license at 21years old lol) so I took her to an empty parking lot to see what it was like in the jeep. She slid around a bit and she scared the sh!$ out of me a couple times because it felt like it was going to roll. I swear the passenger seat sits up higher!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts