Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone here have an rc crawler? i just ordered one from traction hobbies called the founder 2. its a 1/8th scale truck with a jku body with removable top, locking/unlocking front and rear diffs, 2/4 wheel drive, high/low transfer case, portal axles (not realistic to a jk, but more capable) with wheel weights, all metal driveline. its pretty dang sweet! should be coming in next week sometime i hope.

Link to Founder ii

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
about a week ago i got my founder 2. since then, i have finished the body on it and upgraded the motor to a hobbywing axe 550 system.

in the three runs i did so far, i stripped out the original plastic servo horn along with the one i had on my slash. im currently dead in the water as i dont have any spares, so said screw it and went hog wild on the steering setup. i ordered a stockpile of aluminum steering horns along with a Savox SB-2290sg and 14amp castle bec with castle link to power it at 8.4V to get the full 902oz-in out of it!

and compared to my full size rig.:)

·
Super Moderator
10,264 Posts
I know the RC vehicles aren't cheap, but I'll bet they're a whole lot cheaper and easier to work on than our full sized heaps.
And, I'll bet they don't RUST.

Kinda looks like fun. Do they make YJs?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the RC vehicles aren't cheap, but I'll bet they're a whole lot cheaper and easier to work on than our full sized heaps.
And, I'll bet they don't RUST.

Kinda looks like fun. Do they make YJs?

Good Luck, L.M.

the uncoated screws will rust a bit if you get in water, but there is always stainless steel screws. definitely cheaper, but this one definitely is not cheap. i have about $1200 into this one currently........
im sure there is a yj body out there that would fit one of the 1/10 scale crawler chassis.

·
Super Moderator
10,264 Posts
Holy Cow! $1,200.00? I was thinking a couple hundred bucks at most.
I guess it comes down to choices. For $1,200.00, I could buy all the parts to assemble the builder engine I have and still have enough dough left over for an internal to external clutch slave conversion.
Or, I could build another AR and a couple thousand rounds of ammo.

Or, none of the above. Mrs. Lucky's and my stimulus check is going to repave my driveway. At least that keeps the money flowing in the US.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy Cow! $1,200.00? I was thinking a couple hundred bucks at most.
I guess it comes down to choices. For $1,200.00, I could buy all the parts to assemble the builder engine I have and still have enough dough left over for an internal to external clutch slave conversion.
Or, I could build another AR and a couple thousand rounds of ammo.

Or, none of the above. Mrs. Lucky's and my stimulus check is going to repave my driveway. At least that keeps the money flowing in the US.

Good Luck, L.M.
the rc itself cost $700, then there was the $85 shipping, i upgraded the motor to a brushless system for $250, and i have on order a new full aluminum brushless steering servo and all the parts to make it work properly for another $200. i already had the battery and charger, but if you were to buy them it would run you another $150.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'll stick with my old modded Clod Buster. May not be as tough or look just like my jeep but I can have just as much fun with it.
Though if I had money to spend on nothing else that is an awesome rc jeep. That stuff has advanced so much since I've been into it.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I'll stick with my old modded Clod Buster. May not be as tough or look just like my jeep but I can have just as much fun with it.
Though if I had money to spend on nothing else that is an awesome rc jeep. That stuff has advanced so much since I've been into it.
I'm not so sure the Clod Buster isn't tougher. I had one when they first came out and ran it to death before giving away and now wish I had it back. My son and granddaughter have a couple axial wraiths and a couple other rigs that are much larger and they run them a time or two then replace a bunch of parts. I only broke a couple driveshafts and burnt up a few batteries in the Clod Buster over the years I had it. :confused: BTW I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not so sure the Clod Buster isn't tougher. I had one when they first came out and ran it to death before giving away and now wish I had it back. My son and granddaughter have a couple axial wraiths and a couple other rigs that are much larger and they run them a time or two then replace a bunch of parts. I only broke a couple driveshafts and burnt up a few batteries in the Clod Buster over the years I had it. :confused: BTW I wish I still had it.
the new brushless motors have a TON more torque and speed than the old brushed motors, so its normal that they break more parts. my rig has a full aluminum drivetrain from the axles housings, gears and driveshafts to the spindles, knuckles and brass portal weights. i think it'll hold up pretty good. the only weak point i have found on this one so far is the steering horn, which is being replaced with an aluminum one along with a full aluminum body, steel gear servo.

Tamiya Super Clod Buster 4WD Monster Truck Kit [TAM58518] | Cars & Trucks ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I see they re-released all the old sets with slight updates.
I have the 4 link suspension upgrade on my ClodBuster to make it a rock crawler. I also had it geared low enough that it could pull me in a wagon around on a carpeted surface.

Now I'm gonna have to pull out all my old rc stuff. I have a king tiger tank somewhere.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the ESP chassis on my old Clodbuster so there isnt much ClodBuster left

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts