Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at my wits end. If I could get these thing out of the knuckle I'd return/sell them. This is ridiculous. Anyone installed these into a ProRock 44 with 35 spline AND the outer seal? There's isn't enough space to grip the inner axle in order to seat the CV joint. Obviously I'm an amateur, so take it with a grain, but think twice about installing the components on your own. Anyone with advice or help? I thought this would be the easy part of my swap, but now I'm looking at a rental car to get to work tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't post a video. There's the inner axle, orange boot and a cv joint with the outer axle. The inner axle has a retaining ring that snaps into the cv joint. I can't hold the inner axle to keep it from moving while O'Malley the cv joint on. There isn't enough room for my vice grips with the axle tube seal installed.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Supposed to read "I mallet". The orange boot is seated onto the cv joint already

·
Super Moderator
8,177 Posts
If I understand the question correctly, there is a little metal tool that looks like a metal circle with cutouts that holds the inner. I got mine with my grease tube from the shop when they installed. Use this little thingie and maybe a zip tie to keep everything lined up. We just took mine apart to grease them and did this.

If this is not what you are asking, apologize.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been talking to RCV. They are sending the tool. I think my particular issue is the outer axle seal. It doesn't leave enough room for the tool. Im removing the outer seal and trying again.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, if you have Reid knuckles I don't think this issue what come up. The knuckles allow the whole assembly to slide right in since the larger knuckle can clear the orange boot (unlike stock)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Can u take pictures. I have installed RCV axles on mine and I have no idea what you are talking about.

The tool isn't needed. Did mine without it on a rockjock.

·
Registered
324 Posts
What is the axle seal you keep talking about? The seal is inside the housing.

The orange boot is in the knuckle.

The boot just pops on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, just installed CV axles this weekend, so very fresh! I did use the supplied to you speak of. All it does is create a bit of a space between the axle tube and the orange boot. You then apply pressure (instructions say with a soft mallet, etc) to the end of the axle, and that sort of presses the black CV round joint into the orange boot. The orange boot is held against the tool offering the resistance while the black CV is pressed I to it. Without the special tool, there is probably not enough room to push the axle into the diff such that it gives the black CV joint into the orange boot. In the absence of the tool, you could probably rig something up. You really just need to wedge something between your orange axle boots and the axle seals (about an inch or so thinkness would work) so when you push in the axle shaft the black CV joint has nowhere to go but press into the orange boot. Then pull out whatever you wedged between the orange boot and the axle seal and put the knuckle back on.

If it's a matter of the end of the orange boot not working with the seal, I can't help you. I went without seals. I read up and most advised against them in general. The RCV site does say they work with seals, but if course recoment theirs for use... Hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey, just installed CV axles this weekend, so very fresh! I did use the supplied to you speak of. All it does is create a bit of a space between the axle tube and the orange boot. You then apply pressure (instructions say with a soft mallet, etc) to the end of the axle, and that sort of presses the black CV round joint into the orange boot. The orange boot is held against the tool offering the resistance while the black CV is pressed I to it. Without the special tool, there is probably not enough room to push the axle into the diff such that it gives the black CV joint into the orange boot. In the absence of the tool, you could probably rig something up. You really just need to wedge something between your orange axle boots and the axle seals (about an inch or so thinkness would work) so when you push in the axle shaft the black CV joint has nowhere to go but press into the orange boot. Then pull out whatever you wedged between the orange boot and the axle seal and put the knuckle back on.

If it's a matter of the end of the orange boot not working with the seal, I can't help you. I went without seals. I read up and most advised against them in general. The RCV site does say they work with seals, but if course recoment theirs for use... Hope this helps.

Sorry, edit to the end of that: "put the hub back on" not knuckle...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is a link to a Dropbox video from this weekend install. This shows the driver's side CV axle install. At the end of the video you will see the tool that they provided. You will also see me fumble around with it since I didn't know what it was for at that point. You do not use it like I am trying to figure in the video. Instead, pull the axle shaft out a few inches so that the tool can fit between the orange boot and the axle tube, then push the axle shaft back in. The black ball presses into the orange, the tool is just something for the orange boot to press against for this step so it doesn't give when you push the black ball into it. I may be redundant now, hard to explain ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjkvfajd2dvrl5p/VID_20170415_124234.mp4?dl=0

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a link to a Dropbox video from this weekend install. This shows the driver's side CV axle install. At the end of the video you will see the tool that they provided. You will also see me fumble around with it since I didn't know what it was for at that point. You do not use it like I am trying to figure in the video. Instead, pull the axle shaft out a few inches so that the tool can fit between the orange boot and the axle tube, then push the axle shaft back in. The black ball presses into the orange, the tool is just something for the orange boot to press against for this step so it doesn't give when you push the black ball into it. I may be redundant now, hard to explain ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjkvfajd2dvrl5p/VID_20170415_124234.mp4?dl=0

My problem is a bit unique I guess. I'm running 35 spline. You can't push the inner axle through the orange boot as it is much thicker than the CV end. That being said, my CV (outer short axle) and inner axle are not joined. You have a single axle so to speak, I have two separate pieces yet to be joined into one unit. In your case you wouldn't need the tool or mallet as your CV is already mated to the inner axle and you are only seating the orange boot. My scenario requires me to insert inner axle, slide orange boot over the inner axle at the knuckle and then pound the CV joint onto the inner axle. I need the little tool to keep the inner axle stationary while I mallet the CV joint on.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
RCV sells an outer seal that goes in the end of each tube. If you install the seal you need a special tool to get everything to install properly. I am not a fan of using an outer seal. I would recommend removing the seal and installing as normal.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, I'm going to try their tool, but I'm leaning towards removing the outer axle seal since like you mentioned most don't run it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My problem is a bit unique I guess. I'm running 35 spline. You can't push the inner axle through the orange boot as it is much thicker than the CV end. That being said, my CV (outer short axle) and inner axle are not joined. You have a single axle so to speak, I have two separate pieces yet to be joined into one unit. In your case you wouldn't need the tool or mallet as your CV is already mated to the inner axle and you are only seating the orange boot. My scenario requires me to insert inner axle, slide orange boot over the inner axle at the knuckle and then pound the CV joint onto the inner axle. I need the little tool to keep the inner axle stationary while I mallet the CV joint on.

I understand. And that does sound like a pain in the ass. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best of luck though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts