Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody running these? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never increased spline count on an axle replacement before. Is there anything that needs changed or done differently to accommodate the 35 spline vs stock? Also, how do you like them?

·
One Happy Camper
246 Posts
Is anybody running these? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've never increased spline count on an axle replacement before. Is there anything that needs changed or done differently to accommodate the 35 spline vs stock? Also, how do you like them?

Do you have a factory locker? If I'm not mistaken the 35 spline is used with ARB lockers and the factory locker uses 30/32 spline. RCV makes an UD44 CV axle set for the factory locker as well though. Ultimate Dana 44 CV Axle Set for Jeep JK Rubicon ('07 and up)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have the factory locker. 2014 JKUR. Thanks for the info. I'm kind of flying blind on spline counts and their application.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
You would have to switch out the carrier to run 35 spline axles... Not many options for Rubi carriers compared to standard SAE D44 housings..

·
Registered
327 Posts
call them, they answer the phone and can help you. I got some brand new shafts sitting at home because I ordered the wrong ones. The ones I bought are for a JK, but not my specific application.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Do you have a factory locker? If I'm not mistaken the 35 spline is used with ARB lockers and the factory locker uses 30/32 spline. RCV makes an UD44 CV axle set for the factory locker as well though. Ultimate Dana 44 CV Axle Set for Jeep JK Rubicon ('07 and up)
You would have to switch out the carrier to run 35 spline axles... Not many options for Rubi carriers compared to standard SAE D44 housings..
See the post above JT.
I have the 35 spline because I knew I was going with an ARB locker.
Lots of people I know run RCVs that are regularly rock crawling. Many hard core. Of the couple of people who have broken them- RCV replaced them under warranty with little to no hassle. (One of those breaks was going to break anything that was in there....)
There are companies out there now that will plate your stock axle shafts for strength cheaper but I don't know the names. If you search the forum for a "Jerry Bransford" and PM him he can tell you. He has a TJ though and I don't know many JK owners who have gone that route personally.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
I've run RCV ultimates in my 2016 Rubi JKU for a year with no issues at all. Hard Core crawling on a regular basis with 37X13.50" PitBull rockers. I am trussed and gusseted in the front with Reid Knuckles but it has make a very strong combo. This is the 32 spline Rubi shafts with the factory locker.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I was hanging out with the owner of one of the largest drivetrain shops on the lower east coast not too long ago. Took him to lunch, actually. He said that customers call all the time wondering what they should do with front axle shafts for JK 44's. His advice is always "put the ones with the red boots in, they won't pop." Probably the best thing to do if you don't want a 60 up there. If you are dumb enough on the gas pedal you can break anything though, I would imagine. I have only run regular u-joints for the last 20+ years myself. I may try some RCV's when I am in the mood to shell out the money for them however.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
See the post above JT. I have the 35 spline because I knew I was going with an ARB locker. Lots of people I know run RCVs that are regularly rock crawling. Many hard core. Of the couple of people who have broken them- RCV replaced them under warranty with little to no hassle. (One of those breaks was going to break anything that was in there....) There are companies out there now that will plate your stock axle shafts for strength cheaper but I don't know the names. If you search the forum for a "Jerry Bransford" and PM him he can tell you. He has a TJ though and I don't know many JK owners who have gone that route personally.
What post above??? The OP has a stock Rubi D44 from what I see. I don't see where you posted before me. I've been running 32 spline RCVs with 37x12.50 Pitbulls and OX locker for over a year now with no issues. I shredded both factory axles with these tires.

·
Registered
953 Posts
RCV's are probably the best. The 35 spline is the biggest you can fit in a dana 44 (carrier needs to be changed if you are running factory rubi 44). Only time I have broken a front axel shaft is going up ledges where you have to "wheelie"*the front end up and if giving it alot of skinny pedal that first bounce when the tire makes contact is what does it. I don't think the difference between 32 and 35 spline is a huge factor. Not nearly as much as knowing when to let off the skinny pedal.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everybody for all the info. I just finished my 4.88 re-gear and have begun setting aside slush funds for axle upgrading. I've been curious on the RCVs for quite a while. I will be going with them once I can shell out the cash to do so (or once I break the current ones if that happens first lol).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts