Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that after you get done with the air intake and exhaust that the next step for more power is to re-chip the rig. anyone had any experiances with doing this, I've heard good about it from others. Need Advice!:confused:

P.S. If there is a better alternative or a specific thing you have done please let me know.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have heard that after you get done with the air intake and exhaust that the next step for more power is to re-chip the rig. anyone had any experiances with doing this, I've heard good about it from others. Need Advice!:confused:

P.S. If there is a better alternative or a specific thing you have done please let me know.
I used to run the Jet Stage 2 chip, however the gains were not that great to justify having to run premium fuel. So I sold it on ebay. They are a waste of money in my opinion. You'd be better off spending the money on something like re-gearing.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,119 Posts
I used to run the Jet Stage 2 chip, however the gains were not that great to justify having to run premium fuel. So I sold it on ebay. They are a waste of money in my opinion. You'd be better off spending the money on something like re-gearing.
Exactly. Chips and that kind of junk are wastes of $$$.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
a friend of mine did the whole Edge thing and he liked it. wether or not its worth the price tag is up to how deep your pockets are. Im not racing my jeep so i dont need them.
Chips like super chips or hypertec on other cars and trucks do make a big difference. My hemi ram with superchips had very noticable gains just on 87 octane mode.

·
Registered
678 Posts
A good tuner is worth the money chips are for poker games. Edge, DiabloSport, Banks, SCT and Spartan are all good but I don't know if they make them for Jeeps.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice guys. I guess I will bypass the chip.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put in a jet stage 1 chip and noticed a difference right away. But I also bought it used for $50...I wouldn't pay $200 for it unless it tax refund time and there was nothing else for me to buy. If you can find one used for cheap, it's definatly worth it. Just for comparison though, I also bought an Airaid high flow intake for $230 and Hesco throttle body spacer for maybe $60 and noticed a bigger difference with the chip alone, so in comparison, the chip gives you more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Chipps are useless on NA engines unless you are making High revving NA machine (upwards of 8k rpm) If you got boost than thats another story but thats off topic.. replacing the chip with a "better one" is like those ram programs that are suppose to make computers faster..

If you want some power i'm preatty sure you can get some when replacing the camshaft gears also since then you can tune it to whatever you want.. you can make it higher hp with lower torque or vise versa..

If you want to go bigger turbo or supercharger is the next step...

Out of curiosity do jeeps run rich or lean? If they run lean you can get one of those ebay resistors for 5 bucks so it reads the intake air is cold there fore spray more fuel and get some power and worsen mpg lol

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Chipps are useless on NA engines unless you are making High revving NA machine (upwards of 8k rpm) If you got boost than thats another story but thats off topic.. replacing the chip with a "better one" is like those ram programs that are suppose to make computers faster..
I call BS. I have seen plenty of American, low revving, N/A cars and trucks benifit IMMENSILY from chips. Jeep 4.0L do not, probably because its such an old design. The new 4 cyl on the other hand, may be a different story. Sounds to me like you are re-iterating what a 16 year old told you in school :p.

Chipping a car reprograms fuel/air ratios, timing, whatever the programmer decided was nesessary for a more efficient burn. by changing values in the computers programming.

If you want some power i'm preatty sure you can get some when replacing the camshaft gears also since then you can tune it to whatever you want.. you can make it higher hp with lower torque or vise versa..

If you want to go bigger turbo or supercharger is the next step.....
I have a degree in Automotive Technology (as well as some computer programming education :) ), have worked in Automotive Restoration shops, and dealerships etc. and that statement has me very confused. Maybe its because I just woke up or I am having a brain fart, but I have never heard of a "CAMSHAFT GEAR" other than for Timing or for a fuel pump or a distributer etc. Even those are more for older cars with the exception of the timing chain. Nine times out of ten those are built into the camshaft, making it impossible to simply "Swap gears," again with the exception of the timing gear. Simply replacing the timing gear isnt going to do anything. If you want to mess with the timing gear, just adjust the timing itself instead. Now, you can replace the shaft itself, and in turn decide what kind of lobe you want (lift, duration etc.) to create more torque or more HP or a balance etc. but that is no cheap or simply bolt on like a supercharger pulley.

As for the "next step" being to get a turbocharger or supercharger, its not really that easy. I am sure you are generalizing and did not mean that litterally, but for the sake of the un-informed noobs lurking around, there is much more to turning a NA motor to forced induction than just buying a blower or a turbo. In most cases the bottom end must be rebuilt stronger, the entire fuel system replaced, new computer programming, than the transmission/rear etc. if your gonna produce a decent amount of power. You "CAN" slap on a supercharger, say running 4 lbs, and not gernade your motor as soon as you start it, but 4 lbs aint really gonna be worth the cost and aggrivation either...Your talking, what about 25% power increase, so say 250lbs of torque instead of 200, for say $1500 bucks. Those number arent 100%, just a quick figure I did in my head to give you an idea.

Out of curiosity do jeeps run rich or lean? If they run lean you can get one of those ebay resistors for 5 bucks so it reads the intake air is cold there fore spray more fuel and get some power and worsen mpg lol
Jeeps have oxygen sensors, meaning the computer is constantly bouncing between lean and rich constantly, but is keeping the air fuel mixture right around 14.7:1 (stoichiometric). As for which side the computer likes to lean on, I am not 100% sure, but that is what a chip is going to do. A chip is going to (along with other things) adjust the air:fuel ratio for more power.

Now, I am not trying to rag on you bro, please dont get that impression, I am just trying to keep people from being mis-informed. If anything I said was incorrect, please enlighten me. I have no problem admitting I am wrong, but as far as I have been taught, the above statements are correct.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
yes thats what i ment the timing gear(s).. superchager and turbo.. at 5 psi ~ 280hp on 4.0.. you dont need to change the low end.. all you need is some timing retardation and more fuel.. again i havnt done that much reasearch on wrangler boosting.. as chipping i gues it was my fault for not clarifying newer cars..as rich or lean goes and cars having O2 sensor. I used to have a miata.. although it has O2 sensor it was made to run 12:1 from the factory. Chipps make it run richer i think.

·
Registered
353 Posts
sorry dude couldnt pass it up:D

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
motor - Definitions from Dictionary.com

Definition of motor...
1. a comparatively small and powerful engine, esp. an internal-combustion engine in an automobile, motorboat, or the like.

electric motor is #4
4. Also called electric motor. Electricity. a machine that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, as an induction motor.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
no problem i just understood it as sarcasm.. thats why i searched the dictionary difinition of it.

Just wondering what pioneer deck do you have?

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
ohh thats a nice one :) funny how pioneer has preatty much same setup on every model of their car cd players.. i'm thinking of the 5900iB.. :D I heard 3900iB and this thing sounds great..

·
Registered
353 Posts
i think it sounds good even in the acousticly challanged jeep. not up on numbers/bells and whistles of different decks though?

did we hijack this thread:p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts