Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Not sure about Jeeps, but every Chevy truck and car I have owned you could get a custom reprogram for MPG if you wanted. My last truck was a Crew Cab Long Bed 6.0 4x4 Chevrolet, an I went from around 10mpg to 15 mpg with a chip. I also only had the truck for 1 month, the chip was about a week old when I sold it, so I only have values for 1 tank of gas.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
so I'm getting mixed feelings from everyone about chips which is normal for a forum :D . I have a '98 4cyl, would a chip be a wise add on for this engine? if not any suggestions on a way to make this boost a little more HP?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I had a Jet stage 1 chip given to me when a buddy traded in his 00 wrangler and I honestly could not tell one bit of difference after I installed it. I was afraid it wasn't in right, but there aren't that many options on how to put it in. Unplug a cable and plug it in there then plug the cable back into it. I am afraid that maybe I didn't do something like reset the computer right or something to make it kick in because there was 0 difference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There's a hill I gotta take everyday to my house...when I first got my jeep I had to keep it in 2nd myself just to maintain speed (it's an automatic), after I put the intake and spacer in I was able to keep it in drive without slowing down up the hill, and after I put the chip in I was able to accelerate up the hill. Even with the bigger tires I can gain speed up the hill, but not quite as much. When the chip's installed correctly, there is a definate noticable increase in horsepower.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
There's a hill I gotta take everyday to my house...when I first got my jeep I had to keep it in 2nd myself just to maintain speed (it's an automatic), after I put the intake and spacer in I was able to keep it in drive without slowing down up the hill, and after I put the chip in I was able to accelerate up the hill. Even with the bigger tires I can gain speed up the hill, but not quite as much. When the chip's installed correctly, there is a definate noticable increase in horsepower.
Do you have the 4.0L, I'm just wondering what this will do for the 4cyl. So it sounds like I have about a 50/50 chance of making this work. Is there something specific that I have to do to "reset" the computer or make it work correctly?:confused:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have heard that after you get done with the air intake and exhaust that the next step for more power is to re-chip the rig. anyone had any experiances with doing this, I've heard good about it from others. Need Advice!:confused:

P.S. If there is a better alternative or a specific thing you have done please let me know.
Just build or buy a stroker and be done with it...The 4.0 is pretty optimal as it is, nickel and dimeing with cyclone swirl who diggys and chips is not going to get you much for the cost. Bite the bullet and pick up a 4.9 Golem, 360Hp...$3900 bucks or so..

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
your better off getting a bigger MM throttle body, a header and free flowing exhaust. for the 4cyl i believe you can swap a 4.0 throttle body on it. if your still not happy with the performance then look at a chip. as far as buy or building a stroker, it will cost much more then 3900 if he is going from a 4cyl to 6cyl swap. not to mention the time its gonna sit.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
so the 4.0 throttle body is a good add on. I was asking my buddy about that the other day and he said that it would be a hassle and wouldn't work (as far as just bolt on). I know that it will worsen the MPG but more power? is it just bolt on? any modification needed?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I MISSED the 2.5, are you running stock gears ? if you have 4:10's in there go to 4:56's, it will feel like you just picked up a bunch of extra horses. I had a link around about a guy in Norway or Sweden who put a belt driven supercharger on his YJ, not over boosting he just wanted another 25hp or so. He posts on another forum every so often and has been driving it about 2 or 3 years now, on the same engine.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I don't know what the gearing is at, I just picked this thing up a week ago and this is my first jeep, so ya'll would know more about it than I would. I'd like to get a little more power out of it both for the benifit of wheelin and driving.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,123 Posts
Your axle ratio can be found embossed into a steel tag held between two bolts at the 9 o'clock position on the differential cover. It'll say either 3.73 or 4.11. Or 3.74 or 4.10 depending if you look at the front or rear axles since they have a .01 ratio difference between them. :)

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
thanks for the info. I'll check it out next time I have a chance.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
as add on for the throttle body while you are at it take a look on the bottom of it what it says .. my 4.0 tb says 25b but on the idler it says 4.0L and also its the size of a 4.0 tb.. i'm wondering what it will says on the 2.5 tb :)

Boring out the intake manifold side of the butterfly on my Throttle body made a big difference. I cant test it because by the time i step on it its already to and above the speed limit.. honestly.. i know people will flame me for it but i gotta say 2 1/8" vs 2 3/8 makes difference.. although it's only 1/4" of difference 2" throttle body hole seems preatty small for a 4.0L.

If a 4.0 throttle body makes difference on a 2.5 engine i'm preatty sure bored out throttle body will help a bit. I dont know the size of the 2.5L intake manifold hole is though so check that first if you plan to do so.. check using the gasket hole since it should be the same size as the intake manifold hole

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I will take a look when I replace it. but from what I'm hearing from others its just the TB thats different the idler is the same. might be wrong but thats what I'm getting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you have the 4.0L, I'm just wondering what this will do for the 4cyl. So it sounds like I have about a 50/50 chance of making this work. Is there something specific that I have to do to "reset" the computer or make it work correctly?:confused:

No I've got the 2.5l 4-banger

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is there something specific that I have to do to "reset" the computer or make it work correctly?:confused:
No, you just disconnect the negative terminal, put the chip on the port closest to the driver and reconnect your battery. It may take a few miles for it to calibrate but mine took effect as soon as it was installed. Also... If you do decide to get it and you do go through mud, you should wrap the whole thing up in duct tape to help waterproof it. I didn't do that at first and water got into the connectors after I took it out, could hardly keep the thing running and I had to take the chip out and let it dry for about a week, put it back in and it's good as new.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts