Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my new RE control arms in and on one of the arms' superflex joint (not rubber bushing side) was built with the wrong bearing, no big deal, told RE and they sent me the right one to replace the old one. If anyone has any experience changing these bolts out, instructions on how you did it would be greatly appreciated considering RE didn't send me any on how to do it, and I can't find anything online on how to do it because this is not something that you should have to do. If you've done this before, I have the tool they send to take the first top plate off, but I can't figure out how to take out the plastic disk that holds the ball joint into the arm. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a picture ? Is there a C-clip or screw on retaining ring ?
Im not home now but will be soon. There's a C clip on the outside of the other side, but to just pull it out of one side, it seems that this one plastic disk is the only thing holding it in

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have a picture ? Is there a C-clip or screw on retaining ring ?
Auto part Hardware accessory Crankset

So that disk on top is what I just took out

Auto part

Here is where I'm at now, I believe that the white disk needs to come out to take the ball out, but I may be completely wrong

Auto part Bearing Hardware accessory Wheel

Here is the other side of the joint with nothing removed. This is the side with the c-clip, but I'm pretty sure that does not need to come out because I believe the ball can just come out the other side, but again, I could be way off

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See if RE makes a tool or make one yourself. Most spherical joints have 2 bushings halves that are pressed in expand to hold the snap ring tight. A press compresses the halves so the ring can be removed. From there the internals can be knocked out. I thought RE would just give you a new joint.
I was hoping they would give me a new one too..guess not

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you knock it out?
I tried, but only to the point that I felt uncomfortable hitting it any harder. Looked on RE's website and the only tool they have for the disassembly is the one they sent me already which was only to take that top plate off

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
I tried, but only to the point that I felt uncomfortable hitting it any harder. Looked on RE's website and the only tool they have for the disassembly is the one they sent me already which was only to take that top plate off
Might need some kind of press. Maybe even a C-clamp or ball joint tool. Something that pushes the internals out.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Might need some kind of press. Maybe even a C-clamp or ball joint tool. Something that pushes the internals out.
Ok I'll be trying that tomorrow. My only main concern was that these white plastic discs were threaded and couldn't simply just be punched out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts