Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on re-gearing my 2016 2 Door JK Sport to 4.56. Getting a new Dana 44 for the front- but a ring and pinion set for the 44 in the rear. I don't trust myself to do the re-gear myself, so I'm brining it to my local dealership to have the work done.

Most of the re-gear kits that I've seen are set up for front and rear with a "master overhaul" kit. What kind of other stuff should I get in advance to keep the shop from charging me to the moon for parts?

Gonna have them swap out the diff covers and install an ARB locker in the process.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Many shops will not warranty the work unless they provide their own parts. That would be my first order of business before I went out and bought a whole bunch of parts.

·
Super Moderator
15,372 Posts
^ that

IMO find a trustworthy 4x4 shop as opposed to the dealer.

When you add the ARB to the rear you should put in new shafts at that time, that way you can do the 35 spline shaft/locker. I like Revolution axles. LINK

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I wouldn't trust a dealer to do the work.

I would find an independent 4x4 or drivetrain shop that does gears on a regular basis. I would have them get everything they need to do the job and present it to me in one bill. Independent shops will give you a competitive (for the area) bid on the work, including the parts. They source the parts on their own to make sure they have good parts that they can warranty. They are usually reluctant to use parts that you supply and often will not warranty anything when you bring in your own parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got off the phone with a local 4x4 shop. They suggested that I call Revolution Axles and put together a package with them directly- telling them what I have and what I want to do, and they would get me everything I need. Revolution would then contact the shop to confirm that the package is complete, and ship all the parts to the shop.

Guy at the shop quoted me $600 and 6 hours for the re-gear, locker install, and rear axle shaft replacement.

All of that check out?

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Just got off the phone with a local 4x4 shop. They suggested that I call Revolution Axles and put together a package with them directly- telling them what I have and what I want to do, and they would get me everything I need. Revolution would then contact the shop to confirm that the package is complete, and ship all the parts to the shop.

Guy at the shop quoted me $600 and 6 hours for the re-gear, locker install, and rear axle shaft replacement.

All of that check out?
That is an odd way to do it, but it sounds fine to me. As long as the shop is going to fully warranty their work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is an odd way to do it, but it sounds fine to me. As long as the shop is going to fully warranty their work.
Us Vermonters are all a little odd. I'm out of town for work, and am planning on just taking my Jeep to the shop when I get home and talking to them in person.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought and installed 4.56 gears and full master install kit from revolution. The front d30 didn’t come with pinion shims. When I contacted them they said you can shim the bearing race instead! This would destroy the oil baffle each time race is removed. Was gonna order axles from them but having second thoughts now.

For the front I didn’t use the revolution seals, I bought the oem 2 piece seals instead. It’s a lot of work to replace seals so felt better using the latest factory revision.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Good Luck with that. I highly doubt that a shop would warranty work for a part failure that they made $0 profit on. I would ask them specifically. I take that back. I would ask the shop to quote parts and warranty the parts and labor. I did that. After re-gear and 2,500 miles and a trip to Easter Jeep the shop I used warrantied and replaced my axle seals at no cost to me. They told me I must of had a good time in Moab. :)

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
I would also contact a local transmission shop. I didn't realize this until I had my truck in for trans work and they had a JKU up on a lift doing gears. The guy said they do gears all of the time.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

All of that check out?
$600 for all of those pieces is super cheap. Are you sure they aren't missing anything?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
$600 for all of those pieces is super cheap. Are you sure they aren't missing anything?

I think he's saying that $600 is for the labor of installing the gears, assuming he buys the rest of the parts. That doesn't seem too outrageous for the labor part of an install.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think he's saying that $600 is for the labor of installing the gears, assuming he buys the rest of the parts. That doesn't seem too outrageous for the labor part of an install.
That's correct. $600 for labor only.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Nope, that's good for labor. I just read it as $600 and then 6 hours of labor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep in mind he's only having them do one axle as he's buying a new D44 pre-geared?
That is correct- only the rear D44 is getting the re-gear. Buying a new front axle. I don't trust that the D30 in the front is going to hold up to both the bigger tires and the abuse I'm planning for this build.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Still not bad.... After doing my rear and crushing the sleeve(that alone is worth $600) I'd pay it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still not bad.... After doing my rear and crushing the sleeve(that alone is worth $600) I'd pay it in a heartbeat.
Yeah, I told a mechanic friend that I was planning on learning how to rebuild the diff myself this winter and do it myself and he immediately called me and told me under no circumstances was I to attempt something like that- and that even he takes his rigs to a 4x4 shop to have it re-geared.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, I told a mechanic friend that I was planning on learning how to rebuild the diff myself this winter and do it myself and he immediately called me and told me under no circumstances was I to attempt something like that- and that even he takes his rigs to a 4x4 shop to have it re-geared.
It’s not difficult but you do need all the tools. There’s also a lot of things that can go wrong, like incorrect bearing preload, damaging a seal, etc. Its best to work with someone who’s setup a few successfully the first time you try it.

I just finished my 15 jk and when it was done I had a faint clicking/tapping noise from rear. Narrowed it down to truetrac and luckily it went away after break in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts