Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a quote from my dealer to re-gear my 2014 JKU from 3.21 to 3.73

Quoted
$900 rear axle
$1100 front axle
+ $900 labor

Does that sound right?

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
So $2900? No way.I paid just a touch over $1k including parts and labor. And the dealer is the last person I would let do my regear.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
i thought that sounded high
I don't understand why the parts would cost so much
Probably because they're MOPAR branded parts and dealers have quite a high markup. Check for a reliable drivetrain shop near you and get a quote from there.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Average price is usually around $2000 but dealers tend to be on the high side. There are multiple threads on this subject check them out since it does depend on geography. If you decide to go with the dealer find out how many gear changes they have in the last year and you might consider going with 4.10s. You never know when you may want bigger tires or to tow a trailer. It's expensive so you might as well get it right the first time.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I know a guy who has a set of axles (D30/D44) off of a Sport. They are 3.73's with factory LSD, in perfect shape. And I'm sure that he would make you a much better deal than that....:whistling:

PM me for details.

·
Retired Moderator
100,702 Posts
Average price is usually around $2000 but dealers tend to be on the high side. There are multiple threads on this subject check them out since it does depend on geography. If you decide to go with the dealer find out how many gear changes they have in the last year and you might consider going with 4.10s. You never know when you may want bigger tires or to tow a trailer. It's expensive so you might as well get it right the first time.
^^^X2 on the 4.10's!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
A shop near me quoted $900 to go from 3.73 to 4.56. Thats parts and labor.

G2,motive,Sierra gears... no Superior or Yukon though.

I asked how many jks have they done and he laughed and said a few.. I'll take that as quite a bit.

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts
A great deal is about $1000 for both and a decent deal is $1500ish...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just had mine re geared from 3.21 to 4.56 and it cost me around 2,000. He installed new front brake pads as well and had to get new carrier for front (dana30).

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm assuming going from 3.21 to 3.73 involves new carrier assemblies, and going from 3.73 to a numerically larger gear would keep the same carrier. So for the OP - new gears, new carriers, probably a master install kit. Possibly just a new carrier up front - that might explain the $200 price difference in parts. 3.73 gears are not the least expensive gear set - I think 4.10s are less. $900 labor to do both axles "by the dealer" is fair. At my dealer that would be 8 hours. When I talk regearing with my dealer I think I'm in the 12 hour range, and these guys do lots and lots of regears on all kinds of jeeps. You can probably shop around and find a shop that will be less money than the dealer on both parts and labor. So parts seems high and labor about right "by the dealer."

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Maybe they laughed because they've never swapped from 3.21s to 3.73s....because it makes no sense. Why spend $1000 for minimal gain? 3.73s are worth it as a factory upgrade because it's the best you can get without spending $5k more for a Rubi with 4.10s. And still under factory warranty. What are you hoping to get out of the swap? MPG? Towing? Have you driven both back to back?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey jeepherz I am trying to get more power
Before I went two inches bigger on the tires,
I got good acceleration in the lower gears but poor at highway speeds
The online great ratio chart indicates that the 3.73 will give me higher rpms
With the bigger tires than I had with the 3.21
So I'm thinking the 3.73 should be good since this is my daily driver

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Maybe they laughed because they've never swapped from 3.21s to 3.73s....because it makes no sense. Why spend $1000 for minimal gain? 3.73s are worth it as a factory upgrade because it's the best you can get without spending $5k more for a Rubi with 4.10s. And still under factory warranty. What are you hoping to get out of the swap? MPG? Towing? Have you driven both back to back?
Who is this directed towards? Op was quoted $2900?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Hey jeepherz I am trying to get more power Before I went two inches bigger on the tires, I got good acceleration in the lower gears but poor at highway speeds The online great ratio chart indicates that the 3.73 will give me higher rpms With the bigger tires than I had with the 3.21 So I'm thinking the 3.73 should be good since this is my daily driver
Going from 3.21 to 3.73 is not worth all that money, the gain is gonna be hardly noticeable. Just like it was mentioned before might wanna consider 4.10, specially if you want bigger tires. The mpg is still gonna be good and IMO it should make you happier. Price wise $2900 is a bit too high. I'm in NY and it cost me $1400 (parts and labor) going from 3.21 to 4.88.

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
As said before, that is way too much $$$ to go to 3.73. Go to 4.10s at the time. You might also consider a locker while doing it. I have a sale on gears and lockers. For close to the price you got quote, you could have 4.10s, (2) ARBs w/free compressor and the labor of a local shop install.

Just sayin' that is way to much. :D

Allen

·
Registered
224 Posts
A) I would never get a dealer to regear. Oil changes are about all I trust them for.

B) You are getting raped. I'm about to go from 3.21s to 4.88s AND install an OX locker in the rear for less than 2k. Gearing alone front and back is $800, parts and labor included. Granted, I do ALL my business with this shop and even turn a wrench or two, but still...even their "normal" customer rate is only about $200 higher.

3) 3.21 to 3.73? Just don't. That's a lot of money for nothing. Go up into the 4s at least. I'd be going to 5.13s but the pinion becomes the REALLY weak point on my Dana 30 with that setup. But then again I'll be pushing 37" tires.

Find a reputable off-road shop and let them do your work. You'll get it done right and pay less.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
You can get a complete front and back R&P w/Master Install kit for around $600 from Northridge shipped. This is using Yukon parts. Install should run about $500 to $700 per axle. If you have the $$ this is also the time to get lockers but be careful. I started down this road but ended up getting a complete PR44 front axle assembly. My wallet is still in pain

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree- not much diff from 3.31 to 3.73...I went from 3.21 to 4.56 and got my 5th and 6th gear back. Also better gas mileage now. Before my gas gauged moved when I left the gas station lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts