Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

truetrac in dana 30

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good day fellow JK Jeepers!

i've been in the rig a year now. love the damn thing.. while the 3.21's are certainly adequate [2 door 6 speed] i would like to go a bit lower.

i recently test drove a MW3... i expected the difference to be night and day [3.21's to 4.10's] however, the difference was all but noticeable.. slight difference.

i will never go bigger than 33" tires.. should i re-gear to 4.10's or 4.56's?? i've seen the chart [pentastar specific] i'm leaning towards the 4.10's.. but would 4.56's be better with the manual?

i have decided my needs will be best fit with Eaton truetrac.. definately in the D44... but what about the front? i've read torque steer and some other negative attributes... is it worth putting the TT in the front?

i appreciate all the feedback, thanks! [sorry for the long post]

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Lots of questions...heres the quick reply; a regear with the dandy 3.6 and 3:21 ratio is not needed with 33's. True trac is a limited slip setup, and will offer minimal additional benifits to your already equiped BLD setup, however if you must tamper,.it does add some improvement. As far as the front diff equiped and causing torque steer, unlikely with limited slip and 3:21 gears. Torque steer can be atributed to lower gears and lockers, but even so, its still limited in a JK, there quite stable and the extra chasis width does nicely to combat these issues, although occasionally present with certain setups. Git R Done

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
From the finance side, you could have a TrueTrac installed for $500 +/- each.

It'd be closer to $2,500-3,000 to have them installed with a complete regear.

Mike

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm going with 4wheel drive hardware.. they sell the parts and reportedly have a very skilled technician doing the install.. they're a little under two hours away. no sweat.

onetraveller, you're correct. i've been quoted between $2,700 and $2,800... out the door. i'm perfectly fine with this cost as they seem to perform top notch work. all new bearings, etc..etc..

i just don't want to regret the TT in the D30... obviously it'll be unnoticeable in 2H, but i fear being all over the road in 4H [not so worried about the trails i.e, much slower speeds].

·
Registered
1 Posts
I swapped my 04 sport gears, 3.73 to 4.88 and added the truetrac front and lockrite rear. Luv it. Just watch turning corners on the highway if it's wet until u get used to it. Lol

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
No reason not to if you can afford it.

·
Administrator
12,609 Posts
I have not had a truc trac front but a buddy did in a tj, said while not as bad in snow as a full time locker in the front, it still hooked up enough in snow to cause some steering issues.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am also interested in responses to an LSD in front, particularly the TT, I've searched quite a bit looking for a long in depth conversation on it, but with no luck...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am also interested in responses to an LSD in front, particularly the TT, I've searched quite a bit looking for a long in depth conversation on it, but with no luck...

i've actually found a lot of information on other forum sites.. no offense WF!

what's troubles me is the spectrum of differences in opinion.

i'm just going for it. screw it. i'm re-gearing as well and the front carrier will need replaced regardless.. why not spend a couple hundred extra with the benefit of actually having a true 4X4.

[that's not suggesting the BLD system doesn't work well.. i'm pretty amazed actually.. but, i like my break pads with meat on them lol]

·
Registered
140 Posts
i'm going with 4wheel drive hardware.. they sell the parts and reportedly have a very skilled technician doing the install.. they're a little under two hours away. no sweat.

onetraveller, you're correct. i've been quoted between $2,700 and $2,800... out the door. i'm perfectly fine with this cost as they seem to perform top notch work. all new bearings, etc..etc..

i just don't want to regret the TT in the D30... obviously it'll be unnoticeable in 2H, but i fear being all over the road in 4H [not so worried about the trails i.e, much slower speeds].
The Truetracs won't affect your steering at all in 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. They are nearly invisible as far as handling goes but are definitely a noticable traction improvement over stock. The stock 4.10 gears should be perfect for your needs. I'd shop around a bit for a better install quote...that sounds way high to me.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The type of limited slip you have in the front can impact steering on slippery roads. It does depend greatly on many factors. Some LSDs can be built tighter or looser and that can affect steering differently. It also depends on the type and condition of the tires, exactly how slippery the road is, the speed you're traveling, etc.

Get the truetrac. Drive it around to get it good and broken in before winter really hits. When you get your first couple of ice/snow storms take it out on some residential streets or back roads and get used to how it handles. Start slow and increase speed until you either really notice problems steering or you reach your comfort level with the speed. Once you understand how it affects your steering, you can adjust to it and make the most of it.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Truetracs won't affect your steering at all in 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive. They are nearly invisible as far as handling goes but are definitely a noticable traction improvement over stock. The stock 4.10 gears should be perfect for your needs. I'd shop around a bit for a better install quote...that sounds way high to me.

The type of limited slip you have in the front can impact steering on slippery roads. It does depend greatly on many factors. Some LSDs can be built tighter or looser and that can affect steering differently. It also depends on the type and condition of the tires, exactly how slippery the road is, the speed you're traveling, etc.

Get the truetrac. Drive it around to get it good and broken in before winter really hits. When you get your first couple of ice/snow storms take it out on some residential streets or back roads and get used to how it handles. Start slow and increase speed until you either really notice problems steering or you reach your comfort level with the speed. Once you understand how it affects your steering, you can adjust to it and make the most of it.
EXACTLY the input i was looking for. it will be a learning experience for sure, just as it's been since the very beginning [one year ago today!]

i'm going for it... rottweiler has been taking available funds at the moment, i'm looking at more like late February now for install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts