Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I'm thinking about doing some re-gear. I currently have 33/12.5 tires on my 2011 JK. I'm planning on getting 35/12.5 but only when the 33's need to be replaced. I know 4.88 gear will be good for my current tires, however 5.13 will be better once I get the 35's. A friend told me I had to wait until I get the 35's to be able to install the 5.13 re-gearing kit because with my current tires the 5.13 will make my rig will shift way to fast into higher shifts and it will feel like it is asking for additional shifts.

Does anyone has 5.13 with 33's on his rig and can either confirm or deny what my friend said? I really want the 5.13 with 35's but want to install the re-gear now as I have to wait some good time until my current tires wear out.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Don't know what your tranny is-

I have 5.38 gears and an auto tranny--33.6" tires--couldn't be any better-

Great mileage and off-road is unparalleled !

Using 5.13s is also great for sticks/autos-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Insert something witty...
596 Posts
I have 5.13's and 32's, and it works perfectly. All you need is a $150 AEV Pro Cal to fix your shift points. You need at LEAST 5.13's when going to 35's. I would recommend 5.38's. The 3.8 bolted to an AT in the pre- 2012 JK with 5.13's is perfect for 33's, and will work well with 35's.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I have 33's and was talked into 4.88 and wish I went to 5.13's now. 4.88 is great though but for towing, I wish that I had 5.13

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much!! Now I know my friend is full of BS! I'll go with the 5.38's if they are at almost the same price than the 5.13's. Do you guys used any specific brand? Or any brand will do?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Sorry, year is 2011 tranny is auto
Your friend is confused. A ProCal will fix the shifting issue he described. Also forget 4.88s.

ShaunWV has 5.13s on STOCK tires, I believe. 5.38s will be fine for both 33s and 35s.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Thank you so much!! Now I know my friend is full of BS! I'll go with the 5.38's if they are at almost the same price than the 5.13's. Do you guys used any specific brand? Or any brand will do?
Yukons - the best for both quality and noise. There are many good US brands but they tend to be noisy for DD.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts

If you don't have a Rubi and have the D30 front you may be limited to 5.13's. At least when I was looking into gears the 5.38 were only available for the d30's in cheaper gears. That may have changed from last year.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This forum is so great, every time I need help you guys shoot back the right answers. Thank you and BTW Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts