Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been covered umpteen times but since the redesign of this site I can't navigate or find anything. Very frustrating especially since I'm pretty tech savvy.
That said, I have my 2016 JKUR with 4.10 with 3.5" AEV Dual Sport suspension and 35" Milestar Pats. I am thinking about going to 37" Milestars next go around since they are still quite light and 4.88. I am fully aware of all the normal comments about beefing up everything else and bbk etc. Does anyone have specific experience with this upgrade on an existing Rubicon with similar set up? Any feedback that you know would be helpful is greatly appreciated. What exactly you did, what gears you wet with ratio/brand and what else you upgraded. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
My experience is close... I'm lifted 2.5" w/35x10.50R17 pizza cutters. I regeared to 4.88s last year and I could not be more pleased. I have a stick, so that may make a difference, but the new ratio feels very close to how 4.10s felt w/stock tires. Crawling is awesome and I never downshift on the highway hills, ever. I don't plan to go bigger than 35s, so I can't tell you how 37s will feel, but if you have an auto 4.88 may be the preferred ratio for 37s w/auto.

I can pull out in 2nd now too and I probably do it about 30% of the time. Wheeling I live in 2nd and only go to 1st in bigger rocks to give me more control and slow down everything.

I think you will not be dissappointed.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My experience is close... I'm lifted 2.5" w/35x10.50R17 pizza cutters. I regeared to 4.88s last year and I could not be more pleased. I have a stick, so that may make a difference, but the new ratio feels very close to how 4.10s felt w/stock tires. Crawling is awesome and I never downshift on the highway hills, ever. I don't plan to go bigger than 35s, so I can't tell you how 37s will feel, but if you have an auto 4.88 may be the preferred ratio for 37s w/auto.

I can pull out in 2nd now too and I probably do it about 30% of the time. Wheeling I live in 2nd and only go to 1st in bigger rocks to give me more control and slow down everything.

I think you will not be dissappointed.
Thank you very much for the reply and info.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
If you are going to 37s I would think about 5.13s since you have a rubi. I love my 4.88s with 35s. 4.88s are the minimum you would want to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Yep 4.88 minimum. Considering where you live 5.13 is probably better. Last time I spent any time above 6000 ft I was wishing for 5.13's running 35 inch tires.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
what happens when you regear to 4.88?? what is the difference .. is it in torque or high speed on highway??
Torque is increase to the rear wheels. Also because you are turning higher rpms there is more available HP at any given speed. Here is what my numbers before and after look like:

70 mph, 6th gear, Manual tranny

4.10 gears = 2197 rpms

Torque to rear wheels = 817
HP available = 105

4.88 gears = 2614

Torque to rear wheels = 972
HP available = 124

This cost me .5 mpg and if I was not so fond of drive around at 2700 rpms most of the time MPG might actually be better.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am sure this has been covered umpteen times but since the redesign of this site I can't navigate or find anything. Very frustrating especially since I'm pretty tech savvy.
That said, I have my 2016 JKUR with 4.10 with 3.5" AEV Dual Sport suspension and 35" Milestar Pats. I am thinking about going to 37" Milestars next go around since they are still quite light and 4.88. I am fully aware of all the normal comments about beefing up everything else and bbk etc. Does anyone have specific experience with this upgrade on an existing Rubicon with similar set up? Any feedback that you know would be helpful is greatly appreciated. What exactly you did, what gears you wet with ratio/brand and what else you upgraded. Thanks!
I have a 15 JKUR that I just installed a Currie 44/60 setup with 5.13 gears and received my 37" Milestars yesterday. Now just waiting on my beadlocks to arrive.... Currently running 35's and loving the 5.13 gears! As soon as I get them installed, I'll give an update.

You can check out my build on Instagram.

Randy
Instagram: overland_rubi

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 15 JKUR that I just installed a Currie 44/60 setup with 5.13 gears and received my 37" Milestars yesterday. Now just waiting on my beadlocks to arrive.... Currently running 35's and loving the 5.13 gears! As soon as I get them installed, I'll give an update.

You can check out my build on Instagram.

Randy
Instagram: overland_rubi
Thanks to all for the responses and posts so far. Very helpful. Randy, I am not on FB or Insta so please post pics of your rig when you get a minute and a few specs on lift and other upgrades. Thx!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thanks to all for the responses and posts so far. Very helpful. Randy, I am not on FB or Insta so please post pics of your rig when you get a minute and a few specs on lift and other upgrades. Thx!
My current setup is AEV 4 1/2" high capacity springs, JKS adjustable arms, JRI shocks and full Steersmart setup with a little bit of everything else. I'll be running 37" Milestar's on AEV Borah beadlocks. Lastly the Currie 44/60 setup with 5.13 gears.

Randy

·
Registered
444 Posts
I run 5.13 with 35's I don't know what has/hasn't been upgraded underneath, so I'm sticking to 35's, but I'm willing to bet the previous owner was running 37's because with my hand-shaker, I've pretty much lost first gear, and I am in 6th by 50mph

I would be willing to bet 5.13 is the sweet-spot for 37's

·
Super Moderator
4,881 Posts
We have a JKU on 37's with D44 axles. We went with 4.88 gears and I wish we had gone with 5.13 gears.
We have upgraded the D44 axles, RCV axle shafts up front, Carbon Offroad in the rear, along with HD ball joints, and an aluminum tie rod. Still want hydro assist for the steering, sometimes you just can't turn those big tires with the stock steering box. Some people like to brace the axles housings, I tend to figure if I bend a housing I will upgrade it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated.
My current setup is AEV 4 1/2" high capacity springs, JKS adjustable arms, JRI shocks and full Steersmart setup with a little bit of everything else. I'll be running 37" Milestar's on AEV Borah beadlocks. Lastly the Currie 44/60 setup with 5.13 gears.

Randy
Thanks Randy, nice set up :)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have a JKU on 37's with D44 axles. We went with 4.88 gears and I wish we had gone with 5.13 gears.
We have upgraded the D44 axles, RCV axle shafts up front, Carbon Offroad in the rear, along with HD ball joints, and an aluminum tie rod. Still want hydro assist for the steering, sometimes you just can't turn those big tires with the stock steering box. Some people like to brace the axles housings, I tend to figure if I bend a housing I will upgrade it.
Thanks to all for the replies. This is a lot of what I was thinking. So yours is a JKU non-rubi right GuzziMoto? I know I will be upgrading the ball joints, front drive shaft, probably BBK and maybe heavier tie rod. I do not intend to gusset or do hydro unless totally necessary. We do wheel our rig but it's mainly camping, off road mountain passes (in Colorado so we do run across some semi-gnarly stuff), some bigger rocks with climbs and descents and ruts but no really huge boulders these days. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
4,881 Posts
Thanks to all for the replies. This is a lot of what I was thinking. So yours is a JKU non-rubi right GuzziMoto? I know I will be upgrading the ball joints, front drive shaft, probably BBK and maybe heavier tie rod. I do not intend to gusset or do hydro unless totally necessary. We do wheel our rig but it's mainly camping, off road mountain passes (in Colorado so we do run across some semi-gnarly stuff), some bigger rocks with climbs and descents and ruts but no really huge boulders these days. Cheers.
Yes, ours is a non-Rubi. It started as a Back Country, which is based on a Sahara. When we regeared for the bigger tires (37" KO2's) we ended up upgrading the front axle to a D44 out of a Rubicon, though. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, but it is what we did.
The big tires can be hard to turn, even in fairly ordinary situations. Sometimes you just need to be rolling to turn them, and sometimes that isn't possible.
We also went with a big brake kit from Dynatrac, the big tires put a serious load on the brakes, there were times wheeling where the brakes just faded away and we had to stop and let them cool.
Most of our upgrades to go with the big tires were done either when things started looking bad (like the brakes) or before things started going bad (like the axle shafts). But when we do wheel it tends to be alone (just the two of us in one Jeep) and it tends to be in the middle of no where (that is what we like about wheeling). So we really don't want to get stuck because something failed. That is why we swapped to the Rubicon axle up front when the opportunity came along.
I need to save up for the hydro assist, that is the main thing left to do on our Jeep. After that, there should not be any more big ticket items, until I decide we need 60's.....

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, ours is a non-Rubi. It started as a Back Country, which is based on a Sahara. When we regeared for the bigger tires (37" KO2's) we ended up upgrading the front axle to a D44 out of a Rubicon, though. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, but it is what we did.
The big tires can be hard to turn, even in fairly ordinary situations. Sometimes you just need to be rolling to turn them, and sometimes that isn't possible.
We also went with a big brake kit from Dynatrac, the big tires put a serious load on the brakes, there were times wheeling where the brakes just faded away and we had to stop and let them cool.
Most of our upgrades to go with the big tires were done either when things started looking bad (like the brakes) or before things started going bad (like the axle shafts). But when we do wheel it tends to be alone (just the two of us in one Jeep) and it tends to be in the middle of no where (that is what we like about wheeling). So we really don't want to get stuck because something failed. That is why we swapped to the Rubicon axle up front when the opportunity came along.
I need to save up for the hydro assist, that is the main thing left to do on our Jeep. After that, there should not be any more big ticket items, until I decide we need 60's.....
Really appreciate the notes GM. We will have this rig for quite a while so I am building it up in a few stages to get it where it wants to be :) just as in years past with others. Cheers!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I went 5.13s at 4400' best thing I have done

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just went through similar gear decision process. Have 2017 Hard Rock Rubicon unlimited with 35's. May go to 37's when current tires wear out, but who knows for sure. I was considering 4.56 to 5.13. Went with 4.88. If I knew I was staying 35's, would have gone with 4.56. If I was putting on 37's now, would have gone with 5.13. Since I am in the middle....and have heard a lot of input from WF plus Northridge 4x4 and Motive technical sales....went with Motive 4.88's. They are ordered and scheduled to be installed on June 1.

If you have not done so, I recommend that you talk with the gear mfg technical sales folks. Helped me a lot. Also good to talk with a distributor that carries different gear brands and ask for their thoughts on the +'/-'s of the different brands. Played a role in what brand and ratio gear I chose. There are big differences, are built to different standards and different countries.

The shop I am working with will not do anything made in China. Surprising how many brands are eliminated by this....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts