Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 05 tj unlimited with a 4.0 liter and a six manuel has 45k miles on it. 3 inch lift with 33' mud rover MT's. has a pace setter intake and a flowmaster exhaust. has stock 3.73 gearing front and rear. i am trying to figure out what would be the best gearing options. and if i re-geared to 4.11 if it would increase my MPG. As of now i get 12-14 mpg and it really doesnt pull that great in the upper gears. sucks since it is mostly a daily driver for me for now. i do go wheeling most weekends. but i was hoping to find a better combination. mostly better fuel economy. and if regearing is not the option. what might be the best options. thanks

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
From what i've read....

4.56 would be the best choice for gearing with a 4.0 and 33's

wont be much of a mpg increase or anything...prolly 15...but it'll help you pull and maintain speed.

If you want better fuel economy, you'll have to go back to stock for best results...other than that, you could always not drive lol

·
Knows a couple things...
49,469 Posts
Your 6-speed is geared lower (produces higher rpms) than the 5-speed transmission is so 4.56 may produce RPMs that are a little higher than you may be happy with for 33" tires.

Do you plan to stay with 33" tires or might 35" be in your future?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
33's for now. they are around 80% tread. so when they run out im strongly considering 35's. and if put 35's on there with 4.56 gearing would i take a significant hit on the MPG. right now my jeep runs around 2100 rpm's going 60 mph in 6th. is there any other things out there that would really help to improve on MPG. the problem is that the mountain, beach, and mud are all about an hour drive for me. i just want to make it less expensive to get there

1 - 4 of 4 Posts