Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told if I re-gear my 2014 JKU with 3.73 to 4.56 I would have to upgrade the anti-slip differential too. Is this true?

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
This is NOT true. It is a good idea while paying for labor to install new gears, to install a traction device along with it but is NOT needed. Which shop is telling you this? I am in Phoenix and can give you some recommendations on some trustworthy shops.

-Dan

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
Let me expand, D30 front axles with 3.21 gears need a new carrier. This is not the case when you are equipped stock with 3.73 gears and is not the case with the D44 rear.

-Dan

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let me expand, D30 front axles with 3.21 gears need a new carrier. This is not the case when you are equipped stock with 3.73 gears and is not the case with the D44 rear.

-Dan
It was AZ driveshaft and differential. Not only did they tell me this, but they also had the nerve to quote $2800 for the work.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
It was AZ driveshaft and differential. Not only did they tell me this, but they also had the nerve to quote $2800 for the work.
Walk away. They're trying to upsell you on stuff you don't need and it sounds like they're over charging you for the work.

You can upgrade your rear differential if you want. But you don't have to. If you do, it shouldn't cost that much. Find a better shop.

·
Registered
281 Posts
+1, it should only cost half that amount!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the input. I smelled a rat from the beginning when I heard all the parts they were rattling off and definitely will not be getting my business.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll check both of them out and thanks for the recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
21,975 Posts
what is a detailed list of the parts and labor you are getting for 2800? If that includes a quality locker and quality gears front and rear not necessarily a rip off. Have to compare apples to apples before making a judgement. If it is just labor yes that is a rip off but if that includes say a dana spicer gears and an eaton e locker or arb air locker not so bad.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what is a detailed list of the parts and labor you are getting for 2800? If that includes a quality locker and quality gears front and rear not necessarily a rip off. Have to compare apples to apples before making a judgement. If it is just labor yes that is a rip off but if that includes say a dana spicer gears and an eaton e locker or arb air locker not so bad.

There was no mention of lockers in the quote.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
x2

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,002 Posts
I didn't read anything in the OPs Post # one about installing a locker. But rather the shop wants to update his LS. (Two different issues)!

His Wrangler is only approx. 3 months old. The LS, shouldn't need replacing/updating.

In the Phoenix area, you should be able to get re-geared, at a quality shop, for $1200 to $1,800.
So it appears on the surface, that this shop is trying to rip him off, or am I missing something???

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't read anything in the OPs Post # one about installing a locker. But rather the shop wants to update his LS. (Two different issues)!

His Wrangler is only approx. 3 months old. The LS, shouldn't need replacing/updating.

In the Phoenix area, you should be able to get re-geared, at a quality shop, for $1200 to $1,800.
So it appears on the surface, that this shop is trying to rip him off, or am I missing something???
You are right on the money, Old Dogger! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I will never do any hardcore off-roading in this thing, just a few trails and an occasional trip to California, Utah, and Colorado. There was never any discussion of adding lockers with the shop because I do not feel I need them. My concern is having the proper gear ratio for 35s and my 3" Teraflex lift that has been sitting in the garage collecting dust for almost a year. I'd like to retain the performance of my Pentastar as a daily driver and not feel like I am driving a 3.8L slug down the I-10 each morning.

I bought the Sahara because I felt the Rubicon was too much Jeep for my needs. My Jeep will be 90% pavement princess and 10% trail crusher.

On another note, I'm a Lady Jeeper, Old Dogger...LOL! :flowers:

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,002 Posts
^^^It sounds like you have a excellent game plan!

Congrat's on being a Lady Jeeper. My two Daughter really enjoy Jeep Runs with me and my wife, up on the Rim by our Cabin. It's a lot of fun back in the wooded area's, by the lakes. Both of them own Polaris Rzrs. My Daughters are married, and we have 3 Grandson, they also enjoy Jeeping on the Rim, with old Granddad.......:D

You may need that nice new Wrangler of yours, Tue, Wed, and Thursday, just to get around Town. We have another bad storm headed our way, from another Hurricane. We are expecting flooding once again..........:(

Good Luck with your re-gear, and enjoy your new ride......:thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts